• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another batch of Overgraded books from a major dealer... RANT!!!

264 posts in this topic

Just name the guy already, whats the point of making this thread if you dont say who it is?

My money is on Ted from Superworld, a really nice guy, but he cant grade worth a damn. :boo:

Just thought I'd point out that it takes two to do the tango. Some buyers are simply unsatisfied with raw books no matter who they're ordered from and what the grades are. Not saying that's the case here, but instead pointing out that it ain't always the dealer who is off-base with their grading. Ask any long-time dealer.

Furthermore, if the dealer in question accepts Lord's returns with no questions asked, then what exactly is the problem?

rantrant

The reason I'm not "naming" him is that most on here have done business with him and have made up their own minds on what they are willing to accept from him, which is obviously overgraded books. It's not like this is some new dealer out there that I feel I need to warn everyone about. This is an established dealer who does not need to be "outed". Plus it's not like this is the only dealer out there that overgrades. Matter of fact, how many don't?

The reason I'm not "naming" him is that most on here have done business with him and have made up their own minds on what they are willing to accept from him, which is obviously overgraded books. It's not like this is some new dealer out there that I feel I need to warn everyone about. This is an established dealer who does not need to be "outed". Plus it's not like this is the only dealer out there that overgrades. Matter of fact, how many don't?

:boo:

Just thought I'd point out that it takes two to do the tango. Some buyers are simply unsatisfied with raw books no matter who they're ordered from and what their grades are. Not saying that's the case here, but instead pointing out that it ain't always the dealer who is off-base with their grading. Ask any long-time dealer.

Furthermore, if the dealer in question accepts Lord's returns with no questions asked, then what exactly is the problem?

rantrant

I agree. But I'm willing to take that challenge. If someone here wants to pay what I paid for the Avengers 100 that I think is a VF and was graded NM and send it to CGC...I'll bet the value of the book plus grading fees that it doesn't come back higher than VF+. That would be on a good day.

I also don't see as how "I'm doing the same thing and giving him a pass". I'm returning the books and if anyone ever asks how his grading is the answer will be "horrible". Not hit or miss, just straight miss.

There will never be any reason for any dealer to change his/her ways if their conduct is not openly identified and others can rely upon your views as a means by which to arrive at their own decisions.

If you are not willing to name the person at this time, perhaps you should first approach the dealer and register your complaint to see if they will accept returns or give you a credit. You can then let us know the response and who the dealer is, and we can use that additional information to weigh our own opinions for future transactions.

I disagree. If everyone returns what they think are badly overgraded books, eventually he will either have to change his grading or go out of business because no one buys from him. It's much easier to influence people with your wallet.

WARNING: RANT coming... read at your own risk

So I just picked up a batch of 7 high grade books from a major dealer who deals almost exclusively in raw books. He's been discussed on this forum quite a bit in the "how do these dealers grade?" type threads. The consensus has been that he's hit and miss, sometimes a grade or so too high and sometimes right on. So I decide to give it a try with some books I need, expecting to get something relatively close to the grades advertised and maybe a book or two that is spot on. Well was I in for a huge disappointment. Of the 7 books, not one is graded spot on IMO. The biggest problem, a NM Avengers 100 which I paid well over guide for is a straight up VF with all kinds of non color breaking creases on the spine and back cover. Through the mylar it looks great, take it out and you're in for a big shock. The grade/price difference between a VF and NM are HUGE. The rest are all 2-3 grade levels off. I'm going to end up keeping 1 book out of 7 and that's only because the price point between VF/NM(what it was advertised as) and VF(what I think the real grade is) is not that big and it's a book I need.

I'm kind of shocked that people here are willing to be as forgiving of his grading as they have been. Everyone is saying that accurate grading is of utmost importance in Nick's thread about online retailers yet it seems that most here are either a) overgrading/unable to grade or b) willing to give dealers a pass for overgrading because said delaer is a "nice guy". Being a "nice guy" does nothing for me when money is effectively being taken out of my pocket. Dealers with this type of shoddy grading should not be able to stay in business for as long as some have IF their customers would call them on it. Anyway, I'm just ticked that now I have to waste more time on these supposed high grade books by returning them and the hassle involved in that.

End of RANT. Now back to your regularly scheduled pressing threads... I'm sure there is one somewhere.

If it's the dealer I think it is, I was looking through his site last night and the scans he had for alot of the comics I looked at (if they had scans) were way off. I ended up not buying anything...

Jim

There will never be any reason for any dealer to change his/her ways if their conduct is not openly identified and others can rely upon your views as a means by which to arrive at their own decisions.

If you are not willing to name the person at this time, perhaps you should first approach the dealer and register your complaint to see if they will accept returns or give you a credit. You can then let us know the response and who the dealer is, and we can use that additional information to weigh our own opinions for future transactions.

I disagree. If everyone returns what they think are badly overgraded books, eventually he will either have to change his grading or go out of business because no one buys from him. It's much easier to influence people with your wallet.

THEN how come Ted (Superworld) is still around?

Answer= most collectors can't grade or know how, meaning alot of comic collectors either don't care about the grade and just want any old copy of the comics they are searching for or they just are unfamilar with correct grading.

Answer= most collectors can't grade or know how, meaning alot of comic collectors either don't care about the grade and just want any old copy of the comics they are searching for or they just are unfamilar with correct grading.

Very true...MH has made a mint because of this...

Jim

THEN how come Ted (Superworld) is still around?

hm

... and if anyone ever asks how his grading is the answer will be "horrible". Not hit or miss, just straight miss.

How is Superworld's grading? :baiting:

Hmmm.... can I get a refund on my books before I answer this question?

... and if anyone ever asks how his grading is the answer will be "horrible". Not hit or miss, just straight miss.

How is Superworld's grading? :baiting:

Hmmm.... can I get a refund on my books before I answer this question?

(thumbs u