• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color touch, should I get CGC fees back?

129 posts in this topic

Why does everyone assume that what CGC says matters or is equally accepted by everyone, including buyer and seller? Or that seller accepts that CGC is an acceptable appraisal provided at a reasonable cost?

Maybe to be EXTRA sure, after sending the book to CGC I also send it to Matt Nelson and then Susan C just to make sure, and if any one of them detects resto the seller is on the hook for all of their fees.

I think if you the buyer can't detect resto before sending it off to CGC, you're on the hook if you want to pay for a third party opinion. I'm all for what CGC does for the hobby, but this a question of fairness, communication, and what reasonable expectations are in a transaction. You want a book in blue label- buy a book in a blue label.

When buying a home the seller fills out all kinds of disclosure forms.

Then the buyer pays an inspector to go over the house.

If there are undisclosed problems they are negotiated, but the buyer doesn't get the inspection fees back (unless they are part of the negotiation).

Maybe CGC is like an inspector.

:thumbsup:

we can loop this all day long Chris, but the burden lies on the buyer just as much as the seller.

I disagree. The seller is responsible for what they are selling. The buyer asked the seller if the book was restored. Seller said it wasn't. It was. Seller fooked up.

Next you're gonna tell me that I should be an expert on diamonds if I ever plan on buying a diamond engagement ring.....

The seller is responsible for what they are selling, but not what the buyer does after the book is sold. Hence, the buyer should only expect to get the cost of the book back, not the extra "inspection" price.

I havent shopped for a diamond in almost 10 years, but iirc, all the diamonds I looked at were already evaluaetd, so the analogy isnt a good one, even though i see what you mean

This thread is TLDR so I didn't look thoroughly but, I'm surprised no one has suggested having the resto removed. It's Slight (P) so it may not hit the book that hard.

Maybe before negotiating the full refund you can send it to Matt (on your dime) and see if he can knock the CT out without taking the grade too far down. THEN maybe negotiate a partial refund with the dealer correcting to the new grade value.

You get the book, no longer restored (since pro resto is generally removable) and the dealer gets his sale. Of course this is only viable if all parties are willing and you'd accept the book as an 8.0 or 8.5. (shrug)

This thread is TLDR so I didn't look thoroughly but, I'm surprised no one has suggested having the resto removed. It's Slight (P) so it may not hit the book that hard.

Maybe before negotiating the full refund you can send it to Matt (on your dime) and see if he can knock the CT out without taking the grade too far down. THEN maybe negotiate a partial refund with the dealer correcting to the new grade value.

You get the book, no longer restored (since pro resto is generally removable) and the dealer gets his sale. Of course this is only viable if all parties are willing and you'd accept the book as an 8.0 or 8.5. (shrug)

I've already sent Matt an email.

Now that seems like a win-win for all parties involved :thumbsup:

I've already sent Matt an email.

:hail:

Now that seems like a win-win for all parties involved :thumbsup:

I agree as well. :thumbsup:

Oh, and here is nik's :bump:

Couldn't he have saved himself the $125 by just putting the book under a black light and seeing the color touch for himself before spending $125 to get CGC to tell him this?

Couldn't the seller have done the same thing prior to listing the book?

caveat emptor :eek:

Look. I've about had it with this thread but I want to say the following. I asked point blank about restoration. He said what I stated to Sharon above (don't want to paraphrase again and too lazy to quote myself). Based on that, I looked at the book for interior bleeds and any other signs of resto that I could spot. I didn't see anything but I didn't scour it with a glass loupe or with a blacklight. I'm not an expert in detecting restoration. I sent it to CGC for a number of reasons, one of which was that I was worried about whether the edges might have been trimmed. I definitely don't see myself picking up any sophisticated micro trimming. Not that I have ANY reason to suspect the seller. It's just with 1) a book this sharp on the corners and 2) Disneys have been part of the Dupcak line of books, I wanted confirmation.

If this were a full time dealer, I would probably be screaming for a refund of everything. If this were solely a collector who sold me a book, I would just ask for the purchase price back. This guy is a former dealer selling off some of his own books now. Falls in the middle and why I asked the question.

Look. I've about had it with this thread but I want to say the following. I asked point blank about restoration. He said what I stated to Sharon above (don't want to paraphrase again and too lazy to quote myself). Based on that, I looked at the book for interior bleeds and any other signs of resto that I could spot. I didn't see anything but I didn't scour it with a glass loupe or with a blacklight. I'm not an expert in detecting restoration. I sent it to CGC for a number of reasons, one of which was that I was worried about whether the edges might have been trimmed. I definitely don't see myself picking up any sophisticated micro trimming. Not that I have ANY reason to suspect the seller. It's just with 1) a book this sharp on the corners and 2) Disneys have been part of the Dupcak line of books, I wanted confirmation.

If this were a full time dealer, I would probably be screaming for a refund of everything. If this were solely a collector who sold me a book, I would just ask for the purchase price back. This guy is a former dealer selling off some of his own books now. Falls in the middle and why I asked the question.

I can somewhat understand your frustration regarding this situation/thread, but you have to remember that if you ask a question(especially here) you are probably qoing to get answers that are not to your liking. Many here felt the responsibility lies at your feet you for having the book slabbed, especially since you did not work out beforehand your intentions to have it slabbed and if it was plod what the refund options woulds be. Yes it would be nice of the guy to at least meet you halfway if only to pave the way for possible future transactions.

I admit I am not 100% sure of the details involved in your situation,nor what conversations you have had with this person or how much you trust/believe them but it sounds like you wanted him to pay for slabbing fees because he missed the CT in the first place, and people here did not back up that sentiment. So I would chalk it up as yet another in a long list of collecting experiences, be happy you are only out slabbing fees and move on.

But to say "you have had it" with this thread because you did not hear what you wanted to hear is insulting to those who took the time to give you an answer/opinion.

It was a frustrating transaction that ended badly, and for that I think we can all sympathize.

Kenny:

It's not that "I've had it" with this thread b/c I didn't the responses I wanted. To the contrary, I wanted people to discuss this issue so that I could make an informed decision. I just don't understand where it's devolved into people saying that it's a buyer's obligation to detect restoration. And yeah, I've been here long enough to expect that it goes OT at any point.

What would the book get on ebay graded? maybe you could sell it on you're end and take out any costs that way and give the rest to the seller if he would agree to that?.. Its highly unlikely that he paid $2000 for the book like you did so maybe he would be happy with just getting back what he paid for the book if you can

----------------------

Why go through all this trouble for $125 when it could possibly make the situation worse. Presumably he's refunding the $2K for the book. He'll get the book back, maybe it's worth half the $2000, I dunno (silly that a little CT should cut in half, but whatever), and he can figure it out. If he wants it back in the slab maybe you guys can split the difference on the grading fee?

I too would be worried about cracking it out of the slab and damaging it.

I haven't read everything, but the guy did say it was unrestored, which kindah makes me feel like a splitting the difference would make sense, particularly if he gets the slab back. I'd never say that unless I'm a frigging expert, "I examined it and I can't see anything that looks problematic. If you do, let me know" is about as far as I would go. And that implies the buyer should trust his/her eyes, not get mad at me (beyond expecting a refund) if CGC spots something neither of us did.

Kenny:

It's not that "I've had it" with this thread b/c I didn't the responses I wanted. To the contrary, I wanted people to discuss this issue so that I could make an informed decision. I just don't understand where it's devolved into people saying that it's a buyer's obligation to detect restoration. And yeah, I've been here long enough to expect that it goes OT at any point.

If there was no prior agreement just get your 2 grand back and forget about the fees.

I don't know anybody who is 100% perfect in detecting resto. He said it was unrestored and you have no reason to think he was lying. So just count yourself lucky that he is willing to give you your money back.

You didn't have any agreement about what happened after you bought the book. The CGC fees were your decision therefore your cost.

Of course you can and should ask to get the fees reimbursed. But you shouldn't expect him to do so.

As for cracking it. That's crazy. Seems unnecessary and spiteful.

If someone buys a book from us sold as unrestored, submits it, and it comes back restored we also refund any CGC fees. Sounds like we may be in the minority, but I think it is only fair. We stand behind what we are selling and wouldn't want a customer to be out of pocket due to our mistake or oversight.

(thumbs u

(worship)

:cloud9:

outstanding

I just don't understand where it's devolved into people saying that it's a buyer's obligation to detect restoration.

That's what bothered me about this whole discussion.

I just checked back to this thread. WOW. Some of you are crazy!?! Especially this Beyonder person. I think he must be the guy in the blue robe at the mental institution behind Jim Carey in his pictures.

1st: As a buyer on eBay you totally have to take into consideration you may be purchasing a PLOD. If you expect sellers on eBay to do this for you, you probably need someone to hold your hand while crossing the street too. Or maybe you'd buy ocean front property in Kansas. This particular buyer did exactly what he should have done. He was concerned about the books authenticity so he sent it to CGC. Hind sight is always 20/20, but we can all agree that was a smart move in this case.

2nd: This guy did NOT lose $125. What he received for his $125 was the knowledge the book was restored! That knowledge is allowing him to get a refund of the purchase price of $2,000. That was a great investment, and that knowledge is worth $125 in this case.

I just checked back to this thread. WOW. Some of you are crazy!?! Especially this Beyonder person. I think he must be the guy in the blue robe at the mental institution behind Jim Carey in his pictures.

Personal insults :cloud9:

Go fist yourself :foryou: