• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gus'? Action 1 on eBay....

1,649 posts in this topic

And please, when you speak of this, and I know you will.. be kind.

Free (but beat to hell) 1940s action to the first person who IDs that reference.

I won the Action Comic!...

famous movie line from 'Tea and Sympathy', said by Deborah Kerr

I won! I won!

please send the book to:

steve meyer

po box 76

finksburg, md 21048

:takeit:

Right you are, sir. Debbie walks up in her hot little heels and prepares to rock the guy's world (off-screen of course)

I will try to dig out an appropriate prize over the weekend.

Hey Bluechip my comments were not directed towards you at all but more with respect to how Silver Age conducts their auctions. The cropped scan may not have been intentional but for a potential $100K book you'd think they would have a little more attention to detail. The fact that there has been plenty of discussions about previous books they have listed/sold, this just added more fuel to the fire. Good luck with the auction. (thumbs u

...Good luck with the auction. (thumbs u

Totally! and well said.

It's an eye-popping and highly desirable book on its own merits...I think we are only questioning if the auction is representing it well. Bluechip, if I may ask, since you are familiar with the book's interior flaws: are you in agreement with the VG/VG+ grade? What grade would you give the book?

bluechip has been kind enough to show me some of these books in person...

High grade copies? No.

Desirable copies? YES.

Could the listings have been presented better? Definitely!

Totally! and well said.

It's an eye-popping and highly desirable book on its own merits...I think we are only questioning if the auction is representing it well. Bluechip, if I may ask, since you are familiar with the book's interior flaws: are you in agreement with the VG/VG+ grade? What grade would you give the book?

You know, I just got back from the bank where I went to get pictures of the interior of that book and some others and I remembered one of the reasons I have been reluctant to back off too much, price-wise. It is just bee-oo-ti-ful! As I pulled it out of its old school showcase holder I realized that from arms length in the holder it looks remarkably like a VF. Out of the case and on closer inspection, of course you can see the flaws. But they do not look as bad as in the pictures. The colors are sharper, deep red and blue, etc. which you don't always get with this book because, even years ago, people were tempted to have it on display. Anyway, I will put pix up when my camera recharges and I have the time and the ability to download them to my desktop.

As for the grade, well if this is a good-plus....

Action1goodplusCGC.jpg

It's way better than that.

And if this is a good/very good...

Action1gvgcgc.jpg

I think it's a good sight better than that.

And if this is a vg plus

Superman1CGC45.jpg

I would say the flaws in that one outweight the flaws in this (including the archive tape inside).

Action1restoremovedinteriorrepaired.jpg

So, if I use those examples as a guide, I would say yes, it's easily a vg plus or even more on the eye appeal scale and even on the damage and flaw scale. But, I will qualify that to say I don't like to use the traditional grading terms on low to mid grade books precisely because they vary so widely on so many pro-graded books. Sure, some pro grader might say it's a lower grade, but why should I or anyone say that someone might grade it lower when I, and they, know perfectly well that the same grader may well have given much better grades to books that are not as nice?

Also, when you talk grade, some people take that as a sign to go to the guide, which is the one place that puts grades and prices in the same place, but gets it totally wrong on books like Action 1. Like the action 1s we all know about (poor for 22K, good for 82K and VG for 190K) which went for so much more.

For those reasons and more, I try to avoid loaded terms because I think it's painfully obvious they do not give a consistent, full picture.

The terms were invented in the early days of collecting to differentiate between books that were genuinely more appealing to the eye. But grading has evolved or devolved somewhat to the point where it's become more how a book is structurally or, even, about now how many defects it has but about how the defects got there.

The original intent (emphasis on eye appeal) has become somewhat lost in the process.

Fair enough!...thanks for the thoughtful response. I see where you're coming from. I would only say as a caution that the three other books you cited above are pretty much thought of as poster children for "gift grades" around here...and that at this price level, other potential buyers may not be quite as lenient on the technical grade given in the auction. But in fairness, the auction description is clear and if interior pics will be posted, can't get much clearer than that.

While I obviously don't have a dog in this hunt, look forward to seeing any other photos you decide to post. The book's cover and overall eye appeal are certainly beautiful, and it must be hard to let it go.

Best of luck!

Jon :)

Totally! and well said.

You know, I just got back from the bank where I went to get pictures of the interior of that book and some others and I remembered one of the reasons I have been reluctant to back off too much, price-wise. It is just bee-oo-ti-ful! As I pulled it out of its old school showcase holder I realized that from arms length in the holder it looks remarkably like a VF. Out of the case and on closer inspection, of course you can see the flaws. But they do not look as bad as in the pictures. The colors are sharper, deep red and blue, etc. which you don't always get with this book because, even years ago, people were tempted to have it on display. Anyway, I will put pix up when my camera recharges and I have the time and the ability to download them to my desktop.

Action1goodplusCGC.jpg

Action1gvgcgc.jpg

And if this is a vg plus

Superman1CGC45.jpg

I would say the flaws in that one outweight the flaws in this (including the archive tape inside).

So, if I use those examples as a guide, I would say yes, it's easily a vg plus or even more on the eye appeal scale and even on the damage and flaw scale. But, I will qualify that to say I don't like to use the traditional grading terms on low to mid grade books precisely because they vary so widely on so many pro-graded books. Sure, some pro grader might say it's a lower grade, but why should I or anyone say that someone might grade it lower when I, and they, know perfectly well that the same grader may well have given much better grades to books that are not as nice?

Also, when you talk grade, some people take that as a sign to go to the guide, which is the one place that puts grades and prices in the same place, but gets it totally wrong on books like Action 1. Like the action 1s we all know about (poor for 22K, good for 82K and VG for 190K) which went for so much more.

For those reasons and more, I try to avoid loaded terms because I think it's painfully obvious they do not give a consistent, full picture.

The terms were invented in the early days of collecting to differentiate between books that were genuinely more appealing to the eye. But grading has evolved or devolved somewhat to the point where it's become more how a book is structurally or, even, about now how many defects it has but about how the defects got there.

The original intent (emphasis on eye appeal) has become somewhat lost in the process.

nicely done Bob.......

I think if you add some additional pics so buyers can really see what they are getting, and maybe add the option for pick up in person? VS. "mail only" for item delivery, you should be on your way to a six figure sale...... my 2c

heck, after just 1 full day, you are at $27,000, and have had 1,000 page views already.... :golfclap:

Totally! and well said.

Action1goodplusCGC.jpg

Action1gvgcgc.jpg

And if this is a vg plus

Superman1CGC45.jpg

nicely done Bob.......

I think if you add some additional pics so buyers can really see what they are getting, and maybe add the option for pick up in person? VS. "mail only" for item delivery, you should be on your way to a six figure sale...... my 2c

heck, after just 1 full day, you are at $27,000, and have had 1,000 page views already.... :golfclap:

You know I am not controlling the auction itself but it will have to sent by me, so of course a personal pick-up is possible. I got more pics that I am sending out soon. Just gotta get the camera hooked up, etc.

Fair enough!...thanks for the thoughtful response. I see where you're coming from. I would only say as a caution that the three other books you cited above are pretty much thought of as poster children for "gift grades" around here...and that at this price level, other potential buyers may not be quite as lenient on the technical grade given in the auction. But in fairness, the auction description is clear and if interior pics will be posted, can't get much clearer than that.

While I obviously don't have a dog in this hunt, look forward to seeing any other photos you decide to post. The book's cover and overall eye appeal are certainly beautiful, and it must be hard to let it go.

Best of luck!

Jon :)

I would not dispute anyone's contention that one or more of those could be called "gift" grades. But I could also post a few startling examples that could easily be called "punishment" grades, including some action 1s that got so completely rogered grade-wise you couldn't be faulted for thinking somebody had it in for the book or the owner. For all those reasons, and a few more besides, you just can't use words like good or very good or fine with any certainty that it will mean the same to everyone. And when you factor in the absurdly inaccurate guide values, it can make for information that is suspect if not completely compromised.

Anyway, perhaps a fair comparison can be made to the book zaid sold for 190 or 195K (can't remember which).

Action1cgc40sold200K.jpg

I've seen some books which look worse than this get higher grades. And some which looked better which got lower grades. But for comparison to the one I've consigned, this has some things over that one. But mine also have a few things over this one. Because of the archive tape many might say this copy trumps it. But this copy also sold for nearly 200K two years ago. So, even if the other isn't worth that... is it worth half as much or more? I think easily.

some additional pics of interior. There does not actually appear to be archive tape on every page; but I'd wanted to make sure not to underestimate it.

sorry for the pic overload. But don't have time to pick and choose right now.

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2473.jpgIMG_2474.jpgIMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

Hey blue....these new pics are fantastic...exactly what your auction needs to maximize the outcome. As you know, people will pay much more for the known, than the unknown. ;)

....and BTW......killer spine and GORGEOUS PQ! :golfclap:

I wish Bluechip only the best of luck in selling his books. (thumbs u

I say this not only because he is a good guy and topnotch collector, but also because I want Greg Jortner to have some money - since he claims he does not - so that he can pay the debt he owes (and refuses to make good on) for the last several months to a well-known and respected dealer (who is a member of these boards). In fact, I may just sue him and take the Action #1 as collateral of his debt! Yea, I like that. :applause: