• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Schomburgs!

379 posts in this topic

I think its fair to say that Schomburg had to "recycle" a lot of his ideas for covers, as he was so prolific an artist. That's probably why many folks complain of a certain "sameness" to his covers, especially the Timely War stuff.

Whether it was intentional, accidental, conscious or unconscious that he replicated certain covers/poses/characters/action scenes, etc is a question we can debate to infinity without a clear answer.

I agree with Jive, the theme is similar but there are tons of "damsel-in-distress about the be eviscerated by the bad guy until the hero saves her" Schomburg covers, these appear to be very close though.

The Suspense is much simpler and is not as busy as many of his covers (like the All New), plus the outdoors/night theme adds to the drama.

Speaking of Schomburg's recycled themes, gotta love the Cap motorcycle covers!

cap27.jpg

Is it a Harley or an Indian? You can tell by the side which has the suicide shifter.

I like some of Schomburgs non-comic work. I think the motorcycle didn't do very well in this painting but it shows off some of his air brush technique.

bb

2373724315_3dc73a512c_b.jpg

I agree with Jive, the theme is similar but there are tons of "damsel-in-distress about the be eviscerated by the bad guy until the hero saves her" Schomburg covers, these appear to be very close though.

The Suspense is much simpler and is not as busy as many of his covers (like the All New), plus the outdoors/night theme adds to the drama.

Altho he recycled, the man could execute! Nobody crammed more action to the drawn page.

55689-marvelmyschomburg.jpg.e43366da78177b8578191864cf39bee9.jpg

55690-marvelmystery15.jpg.135c07b43378d14a5849f1ebde2a2f0f.jpg

That's a great cover (and recreation), I love the WWII era Timely's with the date (year) on the cover...unfortunately, I don't have any of those. :(

It's an actual signature, but has to be witnessed by someone from CGC(or an agent of CGC) to attain a SS label.

Ahh, ok. Wow, that's really neat. Did you personally have him sign it, or was it already there when you bought the book?

I bought the book in 1982 from the American Comic Book Co. (Terry Stroud) at that years San Diego con for $145. I had no idea if the signature was real or not at that time. In the early '90s I met Mike Manyak, one of the original purchasers of the San Francisco/Tom Reilly books. While reminiscing about the collection, and with no prompting, he mentioned that he had taken the Marvel 14 to a show in Seattle in 1980 (or '81) and had Schomburg sign it. He then sold it to Terry. He said he always regretted selling it and wondered where it was. When I told him I had it, the sweet strains of "It's a Small World" could be heard.

It's an actual signature, but has to be witnessed by someone from CGC(or an agent of CGC) to attain a SS label.

Ahh, ok. Wow, that's really neat. Did you personally have him sign it, or was it already there when you bought the book?

I bought the book in 1982 from the American Comic Book Co. (Terry Stroud) at that years San Diego con for $145. I had no idea if the signature was real or not at that time. In the early '90s I met Mike Manyak, one of the original purchasers of the San Francisco/Tom Reilly books. While reminiscing about the collection, and with no prompting, he mentioned that he had taken the Marvel 14 to a show in Seattle in 1980 (or '81) and had Schomburg sign it. He then sold it to Terry. He said he always regretted selling it and wondered where it was. When I told him I had it, the sweet strains of "It's a Small World" could be heard.

Very cool story :applause:

One of my favorites. :applause:

I love the little "C.A." on the motorcycle!

Schomburg never overlooked the details! I like the English writing on the explosives and the detonator...maybe they hijacked them from the US forces? hm

One of my favorites. :applause:

I love the little "C.A." on the motorcycle!

Schomburg never overlooked the details! I like the English writing on the explosives and the detonator...maybe they hijacked them from the US forces? hm

the best example of this, and my favorite, is on torch 9, but it's not a schomburg. rommel is on the cover, in a tank, and he's got a big flag saying "GENERAL ROMMEL" bigger than dallas sticking up right next to him, just to make sure we'd have a great target. mine's not scanned, so i grabbed this one from elsewhere for illustrative purposes.

RAD88CE72007104_141625.jpg

Only a couple of Schomburgs in my collection so far

Looks like four...but four darn good ones!

Compliments of Mr. Parker...thanks :grin:

TerrificComics2GVG.jpg

Look at the similar poses Schomburg used.same left hand punch :grin: ..like he was drawing from the same base sketch...probably had too with all the covers he was working on between Timely, Nedor, and Continental....

Startling26Front.jpg

Exciting28FCfront.jpg