• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Concern about recent Ebay win

5 posts in this topic

I recently won a Master Comics #20 on Ebay from Silver Age Comics. The book arrived and looked pretty decent and has been sent to CGC to be slabbed. While reading through the forums I have seen a lot of negative criticism of Silver Age and was wondering if I have anything to worry about in terms of the book being restored. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Here is a link to the ebay listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260214251224&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

If you can't detect resto you might want to avoid buying raw GA until you can learn a little more.

I think this is easier said then done given the only thing you have to go on as a buyer, when purchasing from Silver-Age, is a small'ish image of the front cover only (a view 'small image' link is present?) and his word as a seller that no restoration is present. There's also no description of the back cover, staples, spine, etc.

The most worrisome part about the SA listings is the failure to state a return policy. He seems confident in what he is selling so why isn't one stated? Even if these are consignments a return policy should be present. For this reason alone I would be wary of the auction unless you've established a sense of trust before hand about the book and the dealer.

BTW Sardo Numspar, there are plenty of activities in the works to help educate the average buyer on how to detect and understand resto. We're hoping even seasoned buyers might learn a thing or two once the projects are complete :)