• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay auction etiquette

36 posts in this topic

I always give at least 10 days before getting worried.

Anything could have happened to this guy.

Vacation, death in the family, fire, business crisis and the list goes on and on.

I have had plenty of emergencies come up that have kept me away from email and Ebay for 2 or 3 days.

Of course you could be right and he is just a deadbeat buyer.

But give it a little more time and let us know what happens.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm always baffled when I see "Paypal only." Do sellers just love giving their money to paypal so much or are they just too lazy to cash checks anymore? Most good banks have postpaid reply envelopes to send in deposits. You don't even have to leave your house.

(And spare me the bad check/MO argument. It's a canard. In over 10 years of selling online, I've NEVER had a problem with a check or MO. Much more problems with Paypal.)

Cripes... when I get someone that wants to send a check or MO it's a rare treat. More money for me.

I'm always baffled when I see "Paypal only." Do sellers just love giving their money to paypal so much or are they just too lazy to cash checks anymore? Most good banks have postpaid reply envelopes to send in deposits. You don't even have to leave your house.

(And spare me the bad check/MO argument. It's a canard. In over 10 years of selling online, I've NEVER had a problem with a check or MO. Much more problems with Paypal.)

Cripes... when I get someone that wants to send a check or MO it's a rare treat. More money for me.

Less hassle for me to have a "Pay Pal only" policy when selling on eBay. The nickel and dime books I sell really don't add up to much in the way of Pay Pal fees. Get paid,Ship it out, next customer. Easy.

It's to get immediate satisfaction. No waiting for the mail to get payment plus less work on your part to get into your account. Also, you can flip the money quicker if another comic catches your eye...

Kinda like the transaction discussed here. There's no way in hell you're going to get payment in three days thru the mail. My 2 cents? Three days is much too soon to get annoyed despite what you expect or put in your auction. And the fact you even mention GPA makes me think you'd love to strictly maintain the three day rule and cut the buyer off...

Jim

I think I have paid for 99% of my auctions within 24 hrs. Now grant you most of these have been on purchases under 500.00. But if I bought a big dollar book and needed some time to get the money together, I would ask the seller before bidding if that is ok.

My 2 cents? Three days is much too soon to get annoyed despite what you expect or put in your auction.

Honestly if I saw a seller on this board or eBay put that "hey, I want my payment via paypal in 3 days. I would:

1. Not bid, if I can't oblige or

2. Send a message to him, "hey, I can pay you next week or the week after next, is this good for you?"

I'd reply back with a "yes" or "no." Maybe I'm asking for too much.

PS I only mentioned GPA because I know someone would ask me. So I just put it out there. To be honest.

I think he's allowed to cancel the bid.

Buyers need to read auctions before they bid. Period.

I always read the item descriptions and then decide whether or not I'm going to bid. If the seller says payment is required in 3 days, and I can't pay that quick I shouldn't bid.

I will admit that there have been terms laid out by sellers that I didn't agree with, so what I simply did was take my business elsewhere! There loss.

I think he's allowed to cancel the bid.

Buyers need to read auctions before they bid. Period.

Buyers don't read mess. My ebay blurb reads:

Payment in 5 days via paypal, 10 days MO or check. If you have 0 feedback please email before bidding.

I've had a couple of noob 0 feedback winners who never contacted me first. At least they paid.

Back to the original poster:

try and file a non-paying bidder thingy and see what happens. I agree with everyone else that has already posted that you have to wait at least 7 days to person_without_enough_empathy.

do I need to file anything at all? If he doesn't pay in my "3 days" can't I just not sell it to him?

Another reason I've been telling you guys that GPA isn't the issue is becuase I actually had a couple of board members interested for about the same ballpark price as the eBay winner. If I really was seriously mad about losing out and wanted gpa for my book wouldn't I just relist my auction rather than consider selling it to a fellow board member for close to the same price?

thx

per ebay:

Usually the seller must wait 7 days after a listing closes to file an Unpaid Item Dispute

you got 4 more days to go

:(

and if I won your item and you refused to go through with the sale after 3 days with non-payment I would neg you :eek:

patience grasshopper, patience

do I need to file anything at all? If he doesn't pay in my "3 days" can't I just not sell it to him?

As said earlier...thats a ridiculously short time frame to get paid...if he doesn't pay you within the eBay 7 day requirement then you can consider the transaction void...

Although a buyer is also supposed to contact you within 3 days...