• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tintin cover breaks a mil?

63 posts in this topic

Given the demand for his art, there are also a lot of forgeries in the marketplace. If in doubt of a piece of art, I would suggest contacting the Herge estate where a representative can help authenticate or an item or determine if it's a forgery. They are extremely protective of the Herge legacy

Understatement of the day ! lol Their policy regarding (and zealous overseeing of) fan websites is second to none. :insane:

Herge's estate retained about 85% of his work. On occassion the estate will allow a museum exhibition to display his work.

I had the pleasure of going to the "Prisoners of the Sun" expo in Quebec City's Musée de la civilisation last summer. Got to see all the original art from that one (and some from the Seven Cristal Balls) - Great stuff !

For people interested in Tintin, I recommend that you pick a book on Hergé to get a glimpse of the tremendous amount of work and details in drawing these apparently simple "ligne claire" pictures.

And as a quick observation on a previous post . . . I'm not into JUDGE DREDD myself, but I don't have any problem finding deep-pocketed buyers for the real giants of UK comic-art, Frank Hampson and Frank Bellamy (upwards of $4,000 a page), on those ocassions when I need to fund my other purchases.

I agree, both are excellent artists, but for the likes of me I can't understand why Don Lawrence's art isn't more popular...he was there in the beginning 60's in the British weeklies with Marvelman and Olac the Gladiator and his work was still fantastic up till his death a few years ago...

Stormderodeprinspage13.jpg

And as a quick observation on a previous post . . . I'm not into JUDGE DREDD myself, but I don't have any problem finding deep-pocketed buyers for the real giants of UK comic-art, Frank Hampson and Frank Bellamy (upwards of $4,000 a page), on those ocassions when I need to fund my other purchases.

I agree, both are excellent artists, but for the likes of me I can't understand why Don Lawrence's art isn't more popular...he was there in the beginning 60's in the British weeklies with Marvelman and Olac the Gladiator and his work was still fantastic up till his death a few years ago...

Stormderodeprinspage13.jpg

Oh, Don Lawrence was phenomenal, and is certainly up there with the best of British.

I remember during the 1960s, when my dad was trying to wean me away from American comic-books, he started buying me a magazine called LOOK & LEARN - which contained a heavy amount of educational features. To his dismay, I just read the handful of comic-strips featured in the mag.

My favourite strip was THE TRIGAN EMPIRE, with gorgeous painted art by Don Lawrence.

Here's a lousy scan of a Lawrence TRIGAN EMPIRE original I own:

123mrrl.jpg