• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Pricing and Dallas Stephens books

25 posts in this topic

I love Don Rosa books...I even buy the VF+ to NM- graded raws because they are literally very fresh and well maintained.

Another snippet from the certificate:

"This one-owner collection is unique in that most of these issues may have been read only once and then carefully tucked away in optimum storage conditions in archvial boxes in a climate controlled 'vault.' In fact, the books were not placed in polybags where they would have been subject to oil transfer and staining after only a couple of years. This has accounted for the brilliant sheen, deep ink reflectivity, sharp corners and pristine look of virtually the entire group of comic books."

Let's hear it for oil transfers and staining after two years. :whatthe: Should we take that literally--and start composing the lament, "Polybag blues"?

Thats because its a Pedigree

doh! I thought it was a collection also. Why is it a pedigree? I thought CGC wouldn't classify anymore Bronze pedigrees due to the amount of high grade available in the marketplace? Or did I dream that?

Jim

:shrug: I know the use of "Collection" causes a lot of confusion, but the location of the title is in the location that denotes pedigree.

As to the second part of your question :shrug:

I was looking over the Dells from a link that Chuck had provided hoping I could justify spending $50 on books since 10 is free and the remaining 40 would get free shipping.

Anyway I was noticing an odd pattern when he had regular books and DS books both in stock. What I was noticing was that the DS books were often cheaper than non DS books in the same grade, or perhaps only a dollar more for a DS F than a non DS VG.

This is clearly some kind of anomaly in MH's pricing algorithms, but if anybody is interested in those books perhaps now is a good time

This pricing anomaly may be due to the fact that the Dallas Stephens books have usually been excluded from his keyword discounts, so the price on the DS books is actually more than double his 'normal' prices.

I have an Iron Man #1 CGC 9.0 Off White from the Dallas stephens collection & it is noted in the middle of the book. Directly under the title. Peds only have a notation on the right hand side of a slab. Collections get a notatation in the middle of the slab.

Not consistently. I bought some Stan Lee file copies from Heritage only to find that CGC had suddenly stopped putting any reference on the label that they had once belonged to Stan.

Halperin sent me a letter explaining the logic behind it, that it was considered that low grade copies could not be "file copies." To which I felt, fine, if they want to use a different word for low grade copies. But instead of using a different word they decided to leave off ANY reference whatsoever to them having belonged to Stan Lee. That meant all of Stan Lee's low grade books prior to a certain date WERE labelled as file copies, while all the books from his collection slabbed at a later date WERE NOT labelled as his. Guaranteed confusion, as I encountered when I sold one and the buyer complained. Not only confusing, but wholly inconsistent.

But, unfortunately, the inconsistency didn't stop there. I later saw that other collections did get the designation, regardless of how bad a shape the book was in.

Thus you have coverless copies from the "Davis Crippen" collection properly labelled with the name of a man virtually unknown outside the hard core collecting community. But VG- minus copies (often undergraded, at that) of Stan Lee books give no indication whatsoever they once belonged to the man who is easily a household word and the most recognizeable name in comics.

Davis Crippen books -- the name's on in all grades.

Stan Lee books -- if they're in low grade, the name is left off as if it never belonged to him.

Stan Lee books -- if they're in low grade, the name is left off as if it never belonged to him.

So the more he referred to and used the book the less its relevance as a File copy?

Just doesn't seem right.