• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Pricing and Dallas Stephens books

25 posts in this topic

I was looking over the Dells from a link that Chuck had provided hoping I could justify spending $50 on books since 10 is free and the remaining 40 would get free shipping.

Anyway I was noticing an odd pattern when he had regular books and DS books both in stock. What I was noticing was that the DS books were often cheaper than non DS books in the same grade, or perhaps only a dollar more for a DS F than a non DS VG.

This is clearly some kind of anomaly in MH's pricing algorithms, but if anybody is interested in those books perhaps now is a good time

I was looking over the Dells from a link that Chuck had provided hoping I could justify spending $50 on books since 10 is free and the remaining 40 would get free shipping.

Anyway I was noticing an odd pattern when he had regular books and DS books both in stock. What I was noticing was that the DS books were often cheaper than non DS books in the same grade, or perhaps only a dollar more for a DS F than a non DS VG.

This is clearly some kind of anomaly in MH's pricing algorithms, but if anybody is interested in those books perhaps now is a good time

It also could reflect lowering the price on the Dallas books to move them. They've been on his site for a number of years now...

Jim

I had three of the Dallas Stephens collection.

A Captain America #100, restored, but this was clearly noted when I bought it. Looks impecable, though.

A hulk 181, graded FN and came back as 8.0 (VF) which was great.

A hulk 180, graded VF and it came back as 6.0 (FN) which was not (this was due to some tape residue on the back which I didn't look at.

I think the DS collection is graded much harsher hence the price. Too bad that CGC doesn't recognize it anymore.

It would have never been a pedigree but more of a collection. A pretty overrated collection at that, as is the Cream to Off White, I mean Joe and Nadia Mannarino collection. As much flack as Don Rosas' take, it actually is a pretty impressive piece of comic fandom and fairly important.

Jim

It would have never been a pedigree but more of a collection. A pretty overrated collection at that, as is the Cream to Off White, I mean Joe and Nadia Mannarino collection. As much flack as Don Rosas' take, it actually is a pretty impressive piece of comic fandom and fairly important.

Jim

Jim,

Don't think it ever was regarded as a Pedigree.

I have an Iron Man #1 CGC 9.0 Off White from the Dallas stephens collection & it is noted in the middle of the book. Directly under the title. Peds only have a notation on the right hand side of a slab. Collections get a notatation in the middle of the slab.

Dallas stephens also purchased Pedigree'd books. I have a book that has the Boston Pedigree notation on the right hand side of the slab & the Dallas Stephens collection notated in the middle of the same slab.

I think that CGC regarded it as a collection but never a pedigree.

Great book and a nice Certificate as well.

Russ... :hi:

Jim

Jim,

I have an Iron Man #1 CGC 9.0 Off White from the Dallas stephens collection & it is noted in the middle of the book. Directly under the title. Peds only have a notation on the right hand side of a slab. Collections get a notatation in the middle of the slab.

Dallas stephens also purchased Pedigree'd books. I have a book that has the Boston Pedigree notation on the right hand side of the slab & the Dallas Stephens collection notated in the middle of the same slab.

I have a couple of Don Rosa books and the notation is on the right hand side of the label, not under the title.

Jim

Jim,

I have a couple of Don Rosa books and the notation is on the right hand side of the label, not under the title.

Thats because its a Pedigree

Jim

Jim,

Not that it's a huge deal, but it seems that the label should read "Don Rosa" then and not as it does, "Don Rosa Collection."

doh! I thought it was a collection also. Why is it a pedigree? I thought CGC wouldn't classify anymore Bronze pedigrees due to the amount of high grade available in the marketplace? Or did I dream that?

Jim

doh! I thought it was a collection also. Why is it a pedigree? I thought CGC wouldn't classify anymore Bronze pedigrees due to the amount of high grade available in the marketplace? Or did I dream that?

Jim

I believe Don owns a large collection of HG Silver as well that have yet to hit the market. That in combination with the Bronze qualified it for pedigree status. Plus, i'm sure it didn't hurt that he is an industry professional.

Jim

I believe Don owns a large collection of HG Silver as well that have yet to hit the market. That in combination with the Bronze qualified it for pedigree status. Plus, i'm sure it didn't hurt that he is an industry professional.

I think all of the SA books were bought second hand.

Here's this from one of the Don Rosa Collection certificates:

"Accumulated by world renowned and Eisner award winning comic book artist, writer, and historian, KENO DON ROSA, these complete runs contain every comic book and comic magazine issued from every publisher from 1966 to the late 1980's. Rosa began collecting in earnest in 1962, and these books were carefully purchased individually off the stands as they appeared over the years."

And later, this: "These comics represent only a small portion of the massive collection which includes full runs of titles from every comics publisher dating back to 1945."

Jim

Get with it Jim! It's called the "Don Rosa Collection" Pedigree. lol