• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

collection of 100,000 books about to be offered

296 posts in this topic

It's all to do with SENTENCE STRUCTURE, not speculation.

According to the author of the piece, Matt will be aiding Stephen with the sale of his 35-year collection.

Stephen Ritter, a long-time dealer on the show circuit, decided to sell his massive personal collection of 35 years, and found it the perfect reason to launch a new website. Assisting him (with it) is Matt Nelson

It's basic English folks, the subject of the paragraph is "decided to sell his massive personal collection of 35 years" and everything (unless specifically noted) refers to "it". The website note is secondary, and is based on "it" as well.

biggest problem with your argument is that it rests on the care the writer of the sentences you quote gave to writing it! As if the SCOOP intern worried over every comma as you are doing. Had it been written quickly and carelessly (Gee what are the odds of that>>>) your pinpoint analysis of sentence structure would yield you an A in High School but STILL leave you far from the truth, whatever it ends up being here.

All that the article states is that Matt is assisting him. Nothing more. What his assistance will be. To what degree will Matt be assisting. What work will Matt be doing. These are all unknowns. Everyone here is just jumping to conclusions. But that is par for the course around here, isn't it?
:cloud9: How else would we spot shills, stop scams, etc.

According to the author of the piece, Matt will be aiding Stephen with the sale of his 35-year collection.

Stephen Ritter, a long-time dealer on the show circuit, decided to sell his massive personal collection of 35 years, and found it the perfect reason to launch a new website. Assisting him (with it) is Matt Nelson

It's basic English folks, the subject of the paragraph is "decided to sell his massive personal collection of 35 years" and everything (unless specifically noted) refers to "it". The website note is secondary, and is based on "it" as well.

biggest problem with your argument is that it rests on the care the writer of the sentences you quote gave to writing it! As if the SCOOP intern worried over every comma as you are doing. Had it been written quickly and carelessly (Gee what are the odds of that>>>) your pinpoint analysis of sentence structure would yield you an A in High School but STILL leave you far from the truth, whatever it ends up being here.

All that the article states is that Matt is assisting him. Nothing more. What his assistance will be. To what degree will Matt be assisting. What work will Matt be doing. These are all unknowns. Everyone here is just jumping to conclusions. But that is par for the course around here, isn't it?
:cloud9: How else would we spot shills, stop scams, etc.

Ask me, I'll tell ya if it's a scam or not.

I think I can help with speculation as to Matt's involvement in the sale of Steve Ritter's books.

I have it on good authority that Matt will be doing the following chores:

1) bagging, boarding and alphabetizing all of Steve's unsorted comics.

2) brewing Steve's coffee

3) carrying boxes to and from Steve's storage facility

4) calling out prices from the price guide as Steve grades and prices books

5) cleaning up in the evening and taking out the trash

Hope that helps. (thumbs u

I think I can help with speculation as to Matt's involvement in the sale of Steve Ritter's books.

Rich, you might consider writing for scoop in the future. It would prevent such unneccessary speculative threads such as these. (thumbs u

Sounds like a "Sven".

Example:

Jane Blow, a long time collector of vintage clothing, has decided to sell her entire collection of rare and valuable negligees, and sleep entirely in the nude. Assisting her is John Jones.

:insane:

I don't see how people can argue with that. It is the only logical answer a person could arrive at after reading that paragraph. It is much better to shoot the messenger for pointing out exactly what that paragraph states. :whatev:

Damn it. I was right again.

R.

:frustrated:

I have it on good authority that Matt will be doing the following ...

Aha, filter or coffee press? :whistle:

This isn't 90s warehouse overstock we are talking about here. Ritter is a major collector and I am sure there will be TONS of incredible books in there. Besides, the number wasn't really my point. It's just annoying when great comic news gets overshadowed by stupid speculation and other assorted nonsense.

------------------------------

Oh, I'm so used to the negativity around here that I thought your post was along the lines of "the market will be flooded and crash" like any time we here about 5 or more copies of the same book hitting the market.

What I can't figure out is if this is all Ritter's. The first 3,000 are his, but what about the rest, like the 50,000 comics "from 1933 to the present" mentioned. Honestly, I don't know how much drek the guy might have in his garage that simply go accumulated along the way. I've bought from him once (well, actually, like 15 books at once) and it was all GA and don't remember him doing any auctions of palettes of X-Force 1s.

Example:

Jane Blow, a long time collector of vintage clothing, has decided to sell her entire collection of rare and valuable negligees, and sleep entirely in the nude. Assisting her is John Jones.

:insane:

You forgot that the "it" is the selling of "his massive personal collection" and therefore Matt's assistance could involve any number of items in furtherance of the sales. The website can be part or all of the "it." It does not have to secondary as you say. It could be the only assistance offered. You have no way of gleaning from that quoted section otherwise. You are oversimplifying. Which, in and of itself, is no huge surprise considering the source. Your attempts to simplify are quite banal at times.

What I can't figure out is if this is all Ritter's. The first 3,000 are his, but what about the rest, like the 50,000 comics "from 1933 to the present" mentioned. Honestly, I don't know how much drek the guy might have in his garage that simply go accumulated along the way.

The press release brought up many things to legitimately wonder about. Wondering about a new site's inventory is legitimate.

I wondered out loud at the opening of the thread:

Wonder if WorldWide Comics will be another addition to the Heritage/Spectre52/LewisWayneGallery family of selling venues.

With the press release reporting who's helping it opens up legitimate questions about the selling venue. Questions that have nothing to do with attacking someone personally.

[You forgot that the "it" is the selling of "his massive personal collection" and therefore Matt's assistance could involve any number of items in furtherance of the sales.

I didn't *forget* anything - that's the entire point, that it links to the act of selling off his 35-year collection of comics, and not specifically the launching of the website, as many others claim.

I am not stating that Matt is pressing all the books - he could be pre-grading them for CGC or checking for resto for all we know, I am just translating the English for the illiterates.

Thought I'd throw my two cents in about Steve. I've been collecting comics for going on 35 years now. I have lived in several areas of the country and have been going to conventions, big and small, for a long, long time. I've met and done business with every major dealer in the hobby.

When it comes to accuracy of grading, pricing, and fairness with customers, this guy is number one. His ethics are beyond reproach.

Over the years he has also become a friend of mine and I usually travel with him to all the major conventions.

I will leave you with one lasting thought about his character. As has already been pointed out, Steve is in the Air Force. He has volunteered to go to Iraq during the heart of the worst times in the battle. He wanted to go because he felt it was his duty to serve his country and protect our freedom and rights.

Before you continue with your endless speculation about his integrity, do yourself one thing first. Make an attempt to meet the man. Your fears will fly out the window,

Cliff