• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT, which do you buy, PS3 or Xbox 360?

94 posts in this topic

I am trying to decide which to buy. I am leaning towards the PS3 becuase it can act as a blueray player for movies but it seems the Xbox has more games available. It would be for me and my 5 year old son. I am not even considering the Wii because I don't like the games on it. I know there are a lot of gamers here so I would love opinions.

PS3 without a doubt is the best value for the money. Plays BR, hooks up via wireless internet, good games via download, free online play, and good games available. Add in that all the major games are coming out on both systems and it's a no brainer in my opinion...

Jim

PS3, but get the 80GB for PS2 compatibility and the full package, as there are still a ton of great games for that platform, as opposed to the limited (and mostly POS) selection for PS3.

PS3, but get the 80GB for PS2 compatibility and the full package, as there are still a ton of great games for that platform, as opposed to the limited (and mostly POS) selection for PS3.

The standard PS3 doesn't play PS2 games?

Also, my kid discovered a nifty PSP capability the other day. You can load a PS1 game in the PS3, remotely hook-up via the PSP, and you can play the game via wireless. If you have a huge PS1 collection like me, that's a great capability to have...

Jim

Not unless you get the 80GB system...

Jim

Jim

Nice to know. I just got around to buying a PS2...but I am enjoying Wii very much right now. Love the controls.

As far as I know, the 40GB (packaged with Spider-Man 3 BR DVD) version doesn't play PS2 games but the 60GB and 80GB does.

As far as I know, the 40GB (packaged with Spider-Man 3 BR DVD) version doesn't play PS2 games but the 60GB and 80GB does.

Good to know. A PS3 that doesn't play PS2 games is pretty much useless to me.

i got the x-box 360 and have had a lot of fun with it. If you are buying primarily for gaming i would go with the 360. has a ot of great games and more are coming out this year for it. x-box live is killer too. Still haven't got a PS3 yet.

All the *standard* PS3's did have PS2/PS1 compatibility, but the NEWEST 40GB model deleted it to force buyers to pay for expensive PS3 games only.

Good to know. A PS3 that doesn't play PS2 games is pretty much useless to me.

That's why Sony did it - too many people were buying a PS3 to play movies, their old PS2 games, and buying new PS2 games for $9.99.

No more of that with the 40GB model, as many have discovered after the return period.

All the *standard* PS3's did have PS2/PS1 compatibility, but the NEWEST 40GB model deleted it to force buyers to pay for expensive PS3 games only.

That's pretty lame. There are a ton of PS2 games I still enjoy. What's the price difference between the 40GB & 80GB?

That's pretty lame. There are a ton of PS2 games I still enjoy. What's the price difference between the 40GB & 80GB?

$100, but as it's a far superior system, you rarely find *deals* on the 80GB model.

Jim

Nice to know. I just got around to buying a PS2...but I am enjoying Wii very much right now. Love the controls.

Yep, im really pumped with mine and love the controller and involment with the game. Plus, my 5 year old really like Wii sports which is :cloud9: for me

That's pretty lame. There are a ton of PS2 games I still enjoy.

And just in case anyone doubts the reason for the gimped-out 40GB PS2.5:

According to the Wall Street Journal, SCEA boss Jack Tretton said the removal of PS2 backward compatibility and other components isn't "dramatically reducing Sony's cost of manufacturing" on Sony's behemoth console.

Instead, the handicapping of the PS3 was part of an effort to "encourage buyers of the entry-level PlayStation 3 to purchase more games designed specifically for the new system."

That's pretty lame. There are a ton of PS2 games I still enjoy.

And just in case anyone doubts the reason for the gimped-out 40GB PS2.5:

According to the Wall Street Journal, SCEA boss Jack Tretton said the removal of PS2 backward compatibility and other components isn't "dramatically reducing Sony's cost of manufacturing" on Sony's behemoth console.

Instead, the handicapping of the PS3 was part of an effort to "encourage buyers of the entry-level PlayStation 3 to purchase more games designed specifically for the new system."

doh!

Jim

Yep, im really pumped with mine and love the controller and involment with the game. Plus, my 5 year old really like Wii sports which is :cloud9: for me

i have had the wii since a few weeks after launch. It's pretty cool but i tend to enjoy shooters the most so it's not the ideal console for me. nintendo was damn smart the way they built that console- kudos to them for making a bundle while putting out a system that's great for parties and casual gaming. i guess their next system will have great graphics too which i would love to see a game like mario in HD but that's not gonna happen this time out.

I own both systems and I have at least a dozen games for each. The PS3 is a much better long term investment, both because of blu-ray and in terms of the overall reliability of the hardware. The 360 has great software, but the quality of the hardware is appalling.

There is a 20G, 40G, 60G and 80G model. The 20G and 60G, which were the two launch models, support full compatibility with PS2 and PS through the "emotion engine".

The 80G can play PS2 and PS games, but it uses software emulation as opposed to the "emotion engine", so there is a chance that it may not work for a few PS and PS2 titles.

If you can still find one, I highly suggest the 60G model if backwards compatibility is important to you.