• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOLD! $2,500 for a CGC 9.8 regular issue from 1992

183 posts in this topic

Not chromium. Not an RRP or limited edition. Not a variant.

Just a regular comic off the shelf from 1992.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270222446530

(Anybody have a box of these they want to submit?) hm

Are we saying this would make MORE sense if it had been an "RRP" or "limited edition or variant."?

Or for that matter, any sense at all?

Not chromium. Not an RRP or limited edition. Not a variant.

Just a regular comic off the shelf from 1992.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270222446530

(Anybody have a box of these they want to submit?) hm

Are we saying this would make MORE sense if it had been an "RRP" or "limited edition or variant."?

Or for that matter, any sense at all?

Nope, it's saying that Valiant is making a grand comeback pushing everything that got released during the 90's aside. As of right now, there have been no other book that sold this high released from that time frame. They were the only independent company that could have challenged Marvel and DC if things were done right. Now that they got their second chance with the new owners, hopefully things will be done as envisioned originally by Shooter.

Btw, have anyone else noticed that some of the other Valiant auctions are ending in a high note? A raw Harbinger #1 also sold for $50 over the weekend. :o

Another book moves beyond the reach of average collectors. Wonderful.

Do average collectors really need a CGC 9.8 copy?

Does anyone really NEED a 9.8 of anything?

No. But it is nice when there are runs of decent comics average collectors can collect in high grade.

As it is now, average collectors must accept the table scraps of well-heeled GA, SA and BA collectors/specu-investors. Apparently, it is now the case for some moderns as well.

I'm not convinced something like this is to be celebrated.

What is the interest in that book?

98.jpg

(thumbs u

As I remember this issue had a printing defect making it really tuff in high grade.

Still crazy money it would seem, but to each his own.

And maybe he doesnt want a AF 15 in low grade (shrug)

Valiant collectors are a Breed unto themselves.

No. But it is nice when there are runs of decent comics average collectors can collect in high grade.

As it is now, average collectors must accept the table scraps of well-heeled GA, SA and BA collectors/specu-investors. Apparently, it is now the case for some moderns as well.

History repeats itself. It's the early 90's all over again. Only this time.....the stakes are much higher.

Valiant collectors are a Breed unto themselves.

Breed was from Malibu. (thumbs u

Valiant collectors are Harbingers of a Future Force in collecting,

Raising the bar to cast a Shadow,man.

Darque nights and bright Solar days ahead,

Bloodshot eyes from years of longbox searching,

and dreaming of living in Unity.

X-O, X-O,

Greg

(But really, we're just one big hive mind. It's kind of fun, or so I'm told.)

History repeats itself. It's the early 90's all over again. Only this time.....the stakes are much higher.

I, along with probably quite a few posters here went through the Valiant boom/bust. The difficulty for many here (myself included) is accepting the fact that after Turok 1 prices on these books would go for astronomical amounts a decade and a half later.

I remember paying £20 - £30 for copies of Harbinger 1 and Magnus 1 etc. back in 1992/1993 and I felt that I'd been caught up in the hype even at those prices, even though I thought they were decent books.

There's a lesson in there somewhere...

Yep, buy what you like. Don't get caught up in anything.

The buyer announced over on the ValiantFans.com messageboard

that he had been wanting the book, the time was right for him,

the price was right for him, and that he's sure the next one will

be much cheaper.

He didn't want the next one.

Yep, buy what you like. Don't get caught up in anything.

I was talking about the cyclical nature of the hobby and that everything is about perspective and perception. Back then high prices for year-old books was a relative yet absurd novelty. The current era, with its' calibrated, structured emphasis on super high grades has shifted opinion so much further than I thought possible.

Not saying it's good or bad, just that that's the way it is.

I should point out that I didn't buy those books to sell (I still have them). I'm afraid that buying what you like whilst steering clear of hype is often an impossibility due to demand, expense and market forces...not everyone can afford the luxury of spending $2,500 on a Harbinger 1 in CGC 9.8.

To not get caught up in anything would mean stopping collecting, unless one was prepared to compromise and accept market forces.

Zipper's post at the top of the page summed it up nicely.