• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

changing focus

50 posts in this topic

Sadly, the only way I can afford books these days is to sell off what I collected in the 80's and 90's which is SA/BA superhero stuff mostly. Not a big deal really as superhero books do next to nothing for me these days.

I haven't posted on the boards, other than to sell a few books, in over a month. Was spending way too much time and energy on here, therefore my focus has already changed in that respect. It was getting to the point where the boards weren't much fun for me anymore, and my collecting seems to be moving in the same direction. I just came back from lunch and spent the better part of the hour debating on how I should proceed with my collection/collecting. Let me put it this way, there will probably be a very big FS thread in the marketplace in the next little while. The only books that I don't really want to sell are my pre-codes, everything else is slowing moving into fair game territory. Focus definitely changing.

Scott

University_of_North_Carolina_unc7_large.jpg

I haven't posted on the boards, other than to sell a few books, in over a month. Was spending way too much time and energy on here, therefore my focus has already changed in that respect. It was getting to the point where the boards weren't much fun for me anymore, and my collecting seems to be moving in the same direction. I just came back from lunch and spent the better part of the hour debating on how I should proceed with my collection/collecting. Let me put it this way, there will probably be a very big FS thread in the marketplace in the next little while. The only books that I don't really want to sell are my pre-codes, everything else is slowing moving into fair game territory. Focus definitely changing.

Scott

:o No more BA Kirby :sorry:

i am a very focused marvel age collector. i am a couple years away from completing the marvel age and have most of the big books in my collection.

i guess its all about knowing what you want. Putting together long runs takes time and effort. So before you commit to a long run you need to really be sure its what you want or something else will catch your eye before you can complete it!

I've never had much focus. I started with Harvey and Fawcett, got bit heavily by Marvel as an 11 year old, and it just went nuts from there. If anything, over the past 36/37 years of collecting, my focus just keeps expanding - the only constant has been collecting in HG. I'll buy just about anything that is HG - I'm a sucker that way, and that's pretty much how I expanded into DC titles. That's also why I have file copies of Baby Huey 1 and 2....., I could not resist the lure of a childhood favorite character in HG.

I've regretted selling almost every book I've ever sold. I regret not buying lots of books that I passed on (I passed on two GA CAs in the #50s about 15 years ago because they were only in VF condition...., :pullhair: ). I'm letting go a little bit now, by selling from about 7 long boxes of duplicates I've accumulated over the years.

I guess my small focus within a lack of focus does shift occasionally, but it's usually driven by targets of opportunity showing up on eBay and these boards. I've bought lots of Aquaturds this year, but it's mostly because others have been flushing them out of their collections.....,

I've found that the more I focus, the more fun I have.

My focuses right now are Valiant and Green Lantern, and a few other indy books from the 90s.

I used to want to collect X-Men, but I am getting tired of it, and selling a lot of it off. I don't mind it at all. It actually feels pretty good.

I think that we get stuck in our own collector's mentality that we have to keep everything. Keeping less and selling more stuff as your interests change is just as valid a way to collect, and also fun, once you get used to letting go of your books.

You hit the most important point in your post........getting used to letting the books go. Without a doubt the hardest part for many of us.

It is hard...until the next fix comes in, then you just move on! :sumo:

Its only hard at the start. Believe it or not, it gets easier and easier to do as you move forward ;)

After you get used to selling the hard part is actually keeping any books. I find that the thrill of the hunt for grails/hard to find books is more fun than actually owning them now. :sorry:

Besides, unless it is a mega key in HG, almost any SA (and especially BA) book is available when you want to replace it.

GA books, on the other hand, are not that plentiful now, but what happens when the old timers start to unload their collections? (shrug)

Now I was looking at compiling a nice run of SA keys/early issues for most major Marvel (and some DC) titles, but after talking with a part time dealer/broker at the local con yesterday I am hopefully going to be starting off with some nice GA books (DC and Timely) instead.

hm

You might have seen me talking to the dealer/broker in question yesterday. :baiting:

I recently decided to focus on Green Lantern, and one of the guidelines of this collection is that everything I have in the collection is for sale, at any time. It is a bit of an experiment, but hopefully it will allow me to cycle through and own a bunch of cool books, and also start to support itself.

I have all the comic focus of a ferret after 3 cups of coffee.

If I see something I like, and that I want, and that I can afford, I buy it.