• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

who sells an Action #1 on ebay without getting it slabbed ?

45 posts in this topic

it is not unusual at all for an Action 1 owner not to have his[or her] book slabbed.

I know the owners of the very best copies and the reasons are

1]why do I need to put my book in a plastic coffin.to enjoy it.

2] I will not risk in the slightest having my book damaged in transit or in the grading process.

3] Many feel that there grading expertise is as good as cgc.

4]Many wish to stay anonymous for obvious reasons

There really are alot of solid reasons.Im sure I dont have to ramble on

All true enough, but when they go to sell them, they will all be slabbed.

thats to an extent true but there are sales that insist on being private by some collectors...There have been raw sales of Action 1s in this century that cgc and these boards do not know about.It does happen..Its still not a quarentee to be slabbed but its going that way I admit

To slab or not to slab, is someones perrogative. I was interested in the book, but I would like to ask the owner of the book if the cover has been cleaned or is it married? And is there any other defects that have not been disclosed that a potential buyer should know about?

To slab or not to slab, is someones perrogative. I was interested in the book, but I would like to ask the owner of the book if the cover has been cleaned or is it married? And is there any other defects that have not been disclosed that a potential buyer should know about?

Then pm him. His name is bluechip as if anyone didn't know by now.

:sumo:

A picture from the guy's auction:

c7f5_3.JPG

Look at how clean, white, and undamaged the cover is, and how mangled and tan the upper left of the interior pages (near the spine of the book) are.

How could that much damage occur to the interior of the book, yet leave the cover relatively untouched?

I smell resto here...

There was water damage which caused splitting of the pages at the top, which is why it has archive paper, which has been fully described.

If you want to make a concerted effort to drive down the price of somebody's property, please check first via a PM. I will be happy to do the same to you and not to make efforts to cause you to lose money out of... well, I'm not sure what it's out of.

You are the one selling the book? I didn't know that. I'm not trying to sabotage you or anything.

I wasn't talking about the archive paper across the top of the pages, I was talking about the upper left quarter of the interior of the book, along the upper left spine, looking pretty badly water damaged and crushed, while the cover looks white and relatively unwrinkled. You can clearly see the wrinkles on the interior pages, but the upper left corner of the cover doesn't seem to have the same wrinkles (and they should be even more severe on the cover than the interior pages.) Is the cover actually wrinkled by the same waterstain and it just doesn't show up in the pictures? It didn't look like it in the above picture, and it doesn't look like it in this close-up of the upper left corner of the cover:

ba7f_12.JPG

How does that happen?

And for what it's worth, I agree with you about the inconsistency in the Action 1's grades you posted. I don't slab books myself, I buy and sell raw books only, so I have no qualms about that point.

But the damage seen in these photos just looks odd to me, with the cover being in significantly better shape than the interior pages.

The pages are not "weathered and crushed" but had apparently been weakened at the top by water damage. I do not know exactly how but the cover was not damaged in similar fashion, and it has not been reconstituted in any way as you would imagine from the archive paper.

The cover is and was always completely intact. No pieces replaed. No color breaks or tears or anything else fixed up with color touch.

Marks were cleaned off it because people would've screamed color touch. And I think it would've been better left completely alone, but I caved to the screaming purists.

A totally intact cover with naturally sharp(ish) corners and no pieces out is a relative rarity with this book. (look at the 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and even the 195K 4.0 to see more typical examples)

That is I thought it did not need to be enhanced. As you can imagine from the scans, it would be damned easy to make it look reeeaaaall nice with some color touch. But I made sure not to do it.

Frankly, I should have left it without the archive paper to satisfy the purists because it didn't look like that before. As I mentioned in a previous post the process of removing marks that make some cry color touch actually damaged the book. The same is almost certainly true for the pages, which would be better off if they were simply repaired with tear seals. But that too would make people cry resto, so I opted for archive paper, which -- regardless of what anybody says about it -- can't begin to be called something that improves the eye appeal of those pages. It clearly makes it LESS appealing -- all in the name of makiing it perfectly obvious where it has been taped.

Regardless of how you feel about inconsistencies in CGC's grading, it seems obvious that slabbing a book like this would give potential buyers more confidence in bidding because they'd be aware of the resto status of the book. Whether it's unrestored or restored, your bidding pool increases, and the amount they're willing to bid increases with the amount of factual information they have about the book. There's no way this books sells for as much raw as it would slabbed with a blue label.

Regardless of how you feel about inconsistencies in CGC's grading, it seems obvious that slabbing a book like this would give potential buyers more confidence in bidding because they'd be aware of the resto status of the book. Whether it's unrestored or restored, your bidding pool increases, and the amount they're willing to bid increases with the amount of factual information they have about the book. There's no way this books sells for as much raw as it would slabbed with a blue label.

You mean't purple label didn't you? (shrug)

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Well, that's the question, isn't it? Does a key book that's been restored achieve higher bids raw or slabbed with a PLOD? I think that's a question that's open to debate.

But if the seller is stating that the book is unrestored, then it unquestionably would achieve substantially higher bids slabbed with a blue label than it would raw.

I personally think the cover has been married to the comic. This would explain why the cover is not crumpled and the inner pages are.

I agree, what explanation is there for damage to those pages, and water damage not happening to the cover.

Gee.... the cover wasn't there when that happened.

I personally think the cover has been married to the comic. This would explain why the cover is not crumpled and the inner pages are.

I agree, what explanation is there for damage to those pages, and water damage not happening to the cover.

Got to agree.

Disregarding which book this actually is we're referring to here.

Just on the pictures provided, it seems pretty evident the cover and interiors haven't lived the same life.

Got to agree.

Disregarding which book this actually is we're referring to here.

Just on the pictures provided, it seems pretty evident the cover and interiors haven't lived the same life.

:popcorn:

:popcorn:

hate to pile on here, but the pictures do tend to bear that out.... Unless the book was opened when someone spilled water on the interior pages only... and left it open to dry...? That or the cover was pressed flat at some point and not the pages to save money since that would have been a much larger job to flatten every page.

On another front, just out of curiosity, why is the replacement paper on the edges of the interior pages so much whiter than the original paper? It stands out and frankly looks worse than just missing pieces to me. Wouldnt a matching color have been better? or do you think the colors matched back when the work was done ?