• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Bang for the $$$ in GA books

91 posts in this topic

Here's what it looks like

440_4_1.jpg

That's very interesting Buffy!!!

I've had three copies of this book and one of them looks a lot like this copy except for the top corner (very interesting).

The tear on the bottom corner sure looks similar. Also note the blackened face.

My opinion is they are the same copy!!! Maybe your scan of this book is older. I sold this copy last year!!!

GemComics1gerber71945sold-1.jpg

This is my keeper copy!!! :cloud9:

gemcomics1gerber7-1.jpg

I don't have a copy of Gem Comics yet, but it's been on my watch list for a long time. I did just pick up a CGC 8.0 Roly Poly #12....classic GGA Sultan Cover, Archie parody?

How come nobody mentions the REALLY affordable golden age books like Boy Comics after #40, Daredevil after #50, Looney Toons after #50 or Walt Disney Comics and Stories after #60 or so? These are all extremely cheap and generally available. Most are priced at around $10 each. They have well known characters. They are generally good reads and they were published over a relatively long span so they must have been popular back in the day.

Oh, and if you admit you collect them people look at you with pity, or like you have just sprouted a third eye.

Well, I'm going to type this at the great risk of adding competing buyers to things.

I would argue the Boy Comics prior to #50 can be obtained for reasonable prices and in presentable conditions as well. And those issues are great, great fun. There's ultra-violent covers on many, the art is actually pretty good, and many of the war covers are just as cool-looking in my opinion as some of the other publishers that are more known for it. There's even a couple of GGA type covers too.

You can't go wrong trying Boy Comics. I'd start with #19, which I believe to be the greatest issue of the series (and it is my favorite comic story.) Just stay away from the Crippen in the upcoming focus auction. Barring any unforseen disaster, I will be the owner of that book. The title is really a great combination of a crime book and a superhero book. I'd just suggest you stray away from later issues as the series changed fairly dramatically due to increased pressures of the SOTI era. (Stay away from the issues where Crimebuster isn't wearing his true costume. That's an easy visual sign of the change for the most part.)

So there ya go. I'm biased, but excellent suggestion MrBedrock

-Rob-

I agree Rob. I once bought a large run of Boy Comics, they were a lot of fun to read.

I know I'm the only one that cares, but who else on the boards has a decent run of Supersnipe.....and do you want to sell me your V1#8 and V1#9 copies?

I personally really enjoy the supersnipe title as stated earlier. The art is pleasant, with a few highlights and the story's are reminicent of days gone by innocence.

After all, it's "Koppy McFad, the boy with the most comic books in america"

Note the play on words with his name.... Copy the Fad.....ie superhero books. This is one of the earlier superhero parody books out there. I've heard many times over, that back in the day, a true GA collector wasn't worth his salt if he didn't have a run of supersnipe in a long box to go with his timely, Fiction House etc. books. Obviously out of sight out of mind and the prices stay reasonable.

I know I'm the only one that cares, but who else on the boards has a decent run of Supersnipe.....and do you want to sell me your V1#8 and V1#9 copies?

I personally really enjoy the supersnipe title as stated earlier. The art is pleasant, with a few highlights and the story's are reminicent of days gone by innocence.

Note the play on words with his name.... Copy the Fad.....ie superhero books. This is one of the earlier superhero parody books out there. I've heard many times over, that back in the day, a true GA collector wasn't worth his salt if he didn't have a run of supersnipe in a long box to go with his timely, Fiction House etc. books. Obviously out of sight out of mind and the prices stay reasonable.

Prize Comics #20-45 also fit that bill.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My daughter has one book. :grin:

supersnipevol3no8-1.jpg

Chamber6.jpg

Got the book yesterday, cracked it open and read it last night. It was indeed a fun read! Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. I'm definitely on the lookout for some of the other titles mentioned in this thread and will be picking up the Gerber Guides as well.

doh! Another dead slab!

:headbang:

You know I'm a crack addict John. :insane:

You really should try it, it's liberating.

I'm definitely going to have to check out Boy Comics and Supersnipe now as well. Thanks again for the continued input from everyone.

I've been going through several of the threads and am in awe of both the knowledge and collections of my fellow board members.

This place is a lot of freakin' fun!!

Chamber6.jpg

Got the book yesterday, cracked it open and read it last night. It was indeed a fun read! Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. I'm definitely on the lookout for some of the other titles mentioned in this thread and will be picking up the Gerber Guides as well.

doh! Another dead slab!

:headbang:

You know I'm a crack addict John. :insane:

You really should try it, it's liberating.

I'm definitely going to have to check out Boy Comics and Supersnipe now as well. Thanks again for the continued input from everyone.

I've been going through several of the threads and am in awe of both the knowledge and collections of my fellow board members.

This place is a lot of freakin' fun!!

How many more GA books does he need in his collection before he gets the decoder ring and an invite to the annual GA BBQ?

Alec - if precode horror is something you want to further pursue I will give my usual reply. I copied this from an earlier post:

Defintiely spend the $20 on a set of TALES TOO TERRIBLE TO TELL published by New England Comics. The run consists of 11 comic book sized issues (unfortunately it was never completed) that covers a wealth of pre-code horror info.

Link is here:

TTTTT

Unquestionably an absolute must have for any pre-code fan.

Nice thing is there are color cover ghalleries, b&w story reprints from the originals (sometimes from the OA but usually from ther comic itself.) Even though b&w the various stiories can give you a nice feel for titles and publishers. Unfortunately the series was never finished so not all of the publishers were covered (each issue focussed on one or two publishers). But by all means get this. The best $20 any precodee can spend.

Alec - if precode horror is something you want to further pursue I will give my usual reply. I copied this from an earlier post:

Defintiely spend the $20 on a set of TALES TOO TERRIBLE TO TELL published by New England Comics. The run consists of 11 comic book sized issues (unfortunately it was never completed) that covers a wealth of pre-code horror info.

Link is here:

TTTTT

Unquestionably an absolute must have for any pre-code fan.

Nice thing is there are color cover ghalleries, b&w story reprints from the originals (sometimes from the OA but usually from ther comic itself.) Even though b&w the various stiories can give you a nice feel for titles and publishers. Unfortunately the series was never finished so not all of the publishers were covered (each issue focussed on one or two publishers). But by all means get this. The best $20 any precodee can spend.

As so often happens a post by old Pov ends a thread. So what has happened Alec? I do suggest you get the Tales Too Terrible To Tell set for $20. The best intro to precode horror you will ever find. But would be nice to hear what you have been up to now.