• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For MutantKeys :) What are the Top 10 MARVEL Key comics from the SilverAge?

42 posts in this topic

Like the title says: What are your picks for the Top 10 Marvel key comics from the SA?

My list:

Amazing Fantasy #15

Amazing Spider-man #1

Avengers #1

DareDevil #1

Fantastic Four #1

Fantastic Four #48

Incredible Hulk #1

Journey Into Mystery #83

Tales of Suspens #39

X-Men #1

What does your list look like?

***This is an open thread for anybody, not just MutantKeys***

Keys not based on value but their importance to the Marvel Universe would be in no particular order

AF #15 (1st Spidey)

FF #1 (1st team plus the begining of the Marvel Universe)

FF#4 (reintro Subby)

FF #5 (1st Dr. Doom)

Avengers #4 (reintro Cap)

X-Men #1 (introduce X-Men AND Magneto)

Hulk #1 (1st Hulk)

ASM #14 (1st Goblin)

FF #48 (1st Galactus and Surfer)

ASM #1 (Spidey gets the most popular title ever)

Here is my rationale, for every hero you need a villian and they are just as important characters but seem to be forgotten. You can have a Marvel Universe without Thor, Daredevil and Iron Man but you CANNOT have a Marvel Universe without Spidey, the FF, Sub Mariner, Cap, the X-Men, the Hulk and the Surfer. To battle these the heroes the Mount Rushmore of Marvel Villians is Magneto, Doom, Galactus and the Green Goblin. If you notice my list of 10 books includes the introduction of each and every one of these characters...go figure. :)

Jim

Amazing Spiderman 1

Amazing Spiderman 14

Amazing Fantasy 15

Hulk 1

X-Men 1

JIM 83

Fantastic Four 1

Fantastic Four 5

Tales of Suspense 39

The tenth one is tough for me hm

No particular order

Keys not based on value but their importance to the Marvel Universe would be in no particular order

AF #15 (1st Spidey)

FF #1 (1st team plus the begining of the Marvel Universe)

FF#4 (reintro Subby)

FF #5 (1st Dr. Doom)

Avengers #4 (reintro Cap)

X-Men #1 (introduce X-Men AND Magneto)

Hulk #1 (1st Hulk)

ASM #14 (1st Goblin)

FF #48 (1st Galactus and Surfer)

ASM #1 (Spidey gets the most popular title ever)

Here is my rationale, for every hero you need a villian and they are just as important characters but seem to be forgotten. You can have a Marvel Universe without Thor, Daredevil and Iron Man but you CANNOT have a Marvel Universe without Spidey, the FF, Sub Mariner, Cap, the X-Men, the Hulk and the Surfer. To battle these the heroes the Mount Rushmore of Marvel Villians is Magneto, Doom, Galactus and the Green Goblin. If you notice my list of 10 books includes the introduction of each and every one of these characters...go figure. :)

Jim

Jim,

I'd make two changes to your list, and that would be to swap FF#5 with TOS #39, and ASM#14 with JIM #83.

Your rational is sound, just those 2 bokms need to be in the list. I think we'd be in agreement if we had to do top 15, or 20 SA keys.

You can have a Marvel Universe without Thor, Daredevil and Iron Man but you CANNOT have a Marvel Universe without Spidey, the FF, Sub Mariner, Cap, the X-Men, the Hulk and the Surfer.

Spidey and the X-men are the most relevant to todays marvel universe. The FF has lost its relevance, but I agree that they were crucial to Marvel in the SA. The rest of the list is just personal preference. I don't see how Silver Surfer, Hulk or Sub-Mariner is so much more crucial to Marvel than Iron Man, Daredevil, or Thor.

Also, I know you love the Green Goblin and I'm a HUGE ASM freak, but ASM 14 being more important than TOS 39 or JIM 83 is a huge stretch.

My list;

AF #15

FF #1

X-Men #1

ASM #1

Hulk #1

TOS #39

FF #5

DD #1

JIM #83

Avengers #4

So little love for Daredevil. :sorry:
I thought about putting him in the tenth spot, but as cool as a character as he is, he doesnt do much for me or the Marvel Universe to warrant a top 10 spot :sorry:

Without the Green Goblin, Gwen Stacy doesn't die and the Bronze Age is never born...what lasting impact did Iron Man and Thor make? Hulk has had two movies and television shows made of him...during the 1970's the Hulk was THE Marvel character.

Sub Mariner, Cap and the Torch were revivals of the Timely and Atlas era thatswhy they make the list...tried and true characters with history.

The Surfer opens up the entire space aspect for Marvel. No Surfer and Galactus, no Capain Marvel, Thanos, Evolutionary War, Cosmic Cube nothing.

As for giving love to the villians, especially Marvels big 3 Doom, Maggy and Gobby, without the villians you'd have no heroes. If Spidey fought Porcupine Man and the Locust month after month, guess what? no one would give a mess about Spidey after awhile either.

Jim

Without the Green Goblin, Gwen Stacy doesn't die and the Bronze Age is never born...what lasting impact did Iron Man and Thor make? Hulk has had two movies and television shows made of him...during the 1970's the Hulk was THE Marvel character.

Sub Mariner, Cap and the Torch were revivals of the Timely and Atlas era thatswhy they make the list...tried and true characters with history.

The Surfer opens up the entire space aspect for Marvel. No Surfer and Galactus, no Capain Marvel, Thanos, Evolutionary War, Cosmic Cube nothing.

As for giving love to the villians, especially Marvels big 3 Doom, Maggy and Gobby, without the villians you'd have no heroes. If Spidey fought Porcupine Man and the Locust month after month, guess what? no one would give a mess about Spidey after awhile either.

Jim

Gwen Stacy didn't die, a skrull did. You have Green Goblin Bias. :baiting: I don't think the Surfer opened up the space aspect for Marvel. The Fantastic Four did. They have fighting skrulls since the 2nd issue, and the cosmic cube was originally a Red Skull/AIM thing, and predates Galactus and SS.

Some bizarre lists so far...but I guess if you interpret the question to be personal preference, anything goes.

My 2 cents, intrerpretting "key" as meaning importance to the SA.

1. FF 1--The Marvel Age begins

2. AF 15--The Marvel Age adds its most popular character

3. ASM 1--The Marvel Age's most popular character gets his own book.

4. Hulk 1--First appearance of major character

5. JIM 83--same

6. TOS 39--same

7. X-men 1--Marvel adds a second team book (fairly lame book series in SA though)

8. Avengers 4--First Cap

9. Daredevil 1--First appearance

10. Avengers 1--Marvel gets into the team game.

I think CGCWorld makes a good argument here!!! DD, Thor, Iron Man are all secondary heroes as well as Dr. Strange, Shield, Ant-Man/Giantman/Wasp etc...wouldn't make the top ten.

I really like those guys too, so I'm not biased, but for sure I agree with the Cap, Subby, & Torch theory!!!

Jim

So little love for Porcupine Man and the Locust :sorry:

I thought the cosmic cube was from TOS 80. That doesn't pre-date the Surfer!!!!

Thanks Wikipedia! It has it listed as Sept and not March, but it is only a few months later and the Cube still has no connection to the Surfer or his friends. Also the Surfer was not even an adversary to the Thanos when he was first around. mess for a long time the Surfer couldn't even go very far in space thanks to Galactus. Point is there were galactic beings like the Stranger appearing in Marvel before the Surfer. At least DD and Thor hold series for consistantly longer than the Silver Being.

My list (in order):

1. FF #1

2. AF #15

3. X-Men #1

4. FF #5

5. Hulk #1

6. TOS #39 (tie)

6. JIM #83 (tie)

8. Avengers #4

9. Avengers #1

10. FF #48

37. ASM #1

My list (in order):

1. FF #1

2. AF #15

3. X-Men #1

4. FF #5

5. Hulk #1

6. TOS #39 (tie)

6. JIM #83 (tie)

8. Avengers #4

9. Avengers #1

10. FF #48

37. ASM #1

:olol

I have to applaud the consistency. Pray tell, what are the other 26 books?

My list (in order):

1. FF #1

2. AF #15

3. X-Men #1

4. FF #5

5. Hulk #1

6. TOS #39 (tie)

6. JIM #83 (tie)

8. Avengers #4

9. Avengers #1

10. FF #48

37. ASM #1