• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RARE - Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #2-4 Covers Only - SOLD!

18 posts in this topic

If you enjoy collecting comic history, these items belong in your collection! :applause:

There are very few sets available of these covers. I happen to have an extra set.

In fact, one set is on display in Geppi's Entertainment Museum. Occasionally they come up for sale through Heritage (3 times in the last 6 years), and in fact a set is available in the next Signature Auction in May. Here is your opportunity to ensure a purchase by grabbing one now! (thumbs u

Here is how Heritage describes them:

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #2-4 Covers Only (First Funnies, Inc., 1939). Issues #2-4 were planned but never printed, so these covers are a real piece of comic book history. Of course, issue #1 is the legendary comic (featured elsewhere in this auction) which was printed (though it never reached newsstands) and featured the true first appearance of the Sub-Mariner. The title was meant to be distributed at movie theaters as a promotional giveaway. Alas, the concept never took off. This title is also significant for being the first comic production of the Lloyd Jacquet shop, aka Funnies Inc., who went on to produce Marvel Comics #1 as well as many other key Golden Age comics. As for these items, the cover art for #3 is by Max Neill, whose work was later seen in Centaur comics among others, and the cover art for #2 and 4 is by Martin Filchock -- if you were a kid in the 1970s you'll probably remember the "compare these two pictures" scenes Filchock drew for Highlights magazine. Overstreet 2008 NM- 9.2 value for set = $1,000.

As far as I am concerned, and yes I am biased by comic history, I believe these are worth more than Guide due to their rarity. Good luck finding another set anytime soon.

I am going to offer the set on my site and my ebay store for $1,500.00.

CONDITION: NM

SPECIAL FORUM PRICE: $1,200.00

Please note that the copies below are from my personal collection and are not the copies for sale. However, the copies for sale are in the same or better condition. The backs are simply blank.

MPfunniesweekly2.jpg

MPfunniesweekly3.jpg

MPfunniesweekly4.jpg

Shipping Costs/Method: Free shipping/insurance.

Payment Methods: Personal checks, postal money orders, bank cashier checks, wire transfers, and paypal. All checks and money orders should be made payable to EsquireComics. Payment plans of up to three months are available. A nonrefundable 1/3 deposit will be required.

My Return Policy: I consider myself a tight grader and I disclose all relevant information to enable you to reach an informed decision. Therefore, I certainly believe you will be happy with your purchase. However, your personal satisfaction is very important to me. If for any reason you wish to return your purchase, you may do so. However, you must notify me in writing within three (3) calendar days of receiving the book that you desire to return it, and you must ship it back to me within seven (7) calendar days. All associated costs for returning the book must be borne by the purchaser. And, of course, the book must be returned in the same condition it was received.

Trade Policy: Partial or full trade offers are always accepted, though a sale is preferred. GA books are preferred over SA books (which would have to be pre-1965). Any transaction that is 50% or more trade (based on mutually accepted values) must have a total trade value of $1,500.00.

Length Of Sale: If these covers are unsold/untraded after one week they will be placed on my website and in my e-bay store at a higher price.

Mark,

Nice Books!! (Well.. nice covers!) (worship)(worship)

I've always wanted a set of these but the few times I've seen them the timing has never been right.

Good luck with the sale! I imagine these will sell quickly. But if they don't, and you still have them when San Diego rolls around in July let me know!

As per PM :takeit:

Welcome to the MPFW Covers Club! :applause:

:hi:

:applause: Do we get shirts?? :wishluck:

No, but we don't have to rent a convention hall for meeting either. The first meeting of the MPFWCC is now in session. ;)

No, but we don't have to rent a convention hall for meeting either. The first meeting of the MPFWCC is now in session. ;)

We should definitely all meet for drinks! :banana:

and use our covers as coasters (shrug)

:o

lol

:gossip: You won't need to be at the first meeting. :baiting:

Just yours, that way the value of our copies goes up!!! ;)

Feel free to send me a nice color photocopy of the covers...

I really think you guys should make smaller version coasters and give them away as board member prizes......

Cheers