• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back Issue Section Critique Wanted

29 posts in this topic

Hi Eric,

Your site looks like it was designed over 10 years ago. Because it seems that you are constantly adding reviews and new content to your site, you will be better off building your site using a Content Management System. It will still allow you to have a catalog/e-commerce option but will also allow you to have guest moderators/reviewers and greater online interaction with your readers (in the form of built-in blog entries or forums).

Using a CMS and a templating system, you will also be able to standardize your Reviews and speed up their creation.

My only intention was to get feedback on how "user-friendly" the orphan files given are. This has nothing to do with Spider-Man.info as a whole or as a resource. I have never solicited reviewers or anything like that, as I have enough at the moment anyway. I've made some minor improvements over the previous back issue "galleria", and just wanted to see if anything stood out in a bad way that I just was too "blind" to see.

The section is not even up and running yet, so any feedback would be for functionality. The pricing for the small sample given is not etched in stone, but I don't want to have a "best offer" option, as I am pricing most items at what I have been getting on eBay. This will just be a "buy it now" type of option, and there will be more than just one grade up for sale for most issues, so that there can be "more affordable" copies available.

I understand hyperlink colors should not be duplicated, and I may change that...Now the "target='_blank'" attributes to the "A HREF"s for an image opens in a new window is one of those things I can never "win" at. If I do a "blank" href, there will be those who have pop-up filters, and those who just do not like extra browsers opening up. It's the same thing with my background and opening page music - Some people do not like it, some people love it.

That is something I plan on doing long-term...The past several years, I have been focusing on more quality scans, as the contents of the site is so reliant on them to begin with. Most everything on the site (profiles, news, just about everything) will eventually link back to these cover scans.

Sort of like working "backwards", but I would like to lay that foundation down first before I get "too far ahead of myself". It's alot of work, but I have most of the cover scans saved in various degrees of quality already,

This also gives me time to think about what to do exactly whe everything (hopefully) comes together.

There is also alot of off-line work that no one sees. People should see my notes on the Clone Saga that I did years ago - It's a huge mess,

Eric

Now the "target='_blank'" attributes to the "A HREF"s for an image opens in a new window is one of those things I can never "win" at. If I do a "blank" href, there will be those who have pop-up filters, and those who just do not like extra browsers opening up. It's the same thing with my background and opening page music - Some people do not like it, some people love it.

No, pop-up blockers only affect new windows opened with javascript - they don't interfere with regular links, with or without a target.

And, to be quite brutally honest, having music play automatically on your site is a sure-fire way to loose a huge chunk of your potential customer base . If you want music on your site, add a player so people can control it themselves.

I did have the player on my site at one point...I have to look for it again - I have the code somewhere. You should see some of the comments Iget from the people who are driven crazy by the music:),

Eric

I agree on the music, I even left you a comment :insane:

Again as someone else pointed out if you intend on mixing store with resource and want to make good money with the store it (the store) should be the main feature on the site with the reviews being used for content to pull in more customers. I'll take another look later after I wake up more. (thumbs u

I would rather the two go "hand-in-hand" more than anything. I will hopefully never stray away of why the site was created in the first place - As mainly a resource, but then again, there are only so many reviews you can do:),

Eric