• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Poll: Will Tiger Woods win the Masters this week?

Will Tiger win the 2008 Masters?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Tiger win the 2008 Masters?

56 posts in this topic

phil's masters to win at this point. what's w/ the lefty contingent at the top of the leaderboard? i can think of 5 lefty pros and 3 of them are in the top 10.
The last few years I have seen that Augusta seems to favor lefties.

Just checked in on the tournament...Tiger now at -4 tied for 5th... :headbang:

Make that -5! :banana:

...and Lefty is 2 shots back of Tiger, now... :roflmao:

:roflmao:

phil looked terrible- when even the noobs are shooting 69 or 70, he hacks his way to a 75. the guy hasn't been completely right since he gagged up the us open.

Well..... Tiger came 2nd. Looks like Immelman was the "ABT" many people were cheering for.

So much for the grand slam talk.

If Tiger could not pull off the slam this year he never will. This was the hottest he ever was going into the start of the Majors season.

He won't be that hot every year. In fact, there is no guarantee he will even win 19 Majors and surpass Jack. He's getting older and is only one wrist, knee or back injury away from being unable to compete at the highest level.

I'm sure Arnold Palmer thought he would win more majors after he won 4 of them in 7 years, but then he stopped winning them. After #4 that was it..... no more Masters titles for Arnold. The same could happen to Tiger.

Right now he is still #1 but when an athlete starts losing his skills there is often a rapid decline. He needs to hurry and get 19 before his skills drop off.

Gee, Tiger's only 32 and Nicklaus (with whom he is so often compared) won his last Masters at 46. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

As to Tiger's swing, it changed drastically late 97, early 98 under Butch Harmon. Have a look at the early Tiger swing and what he has today - nothing like the back-wrenching "rubberiness" that he had at his first Masters win.

Even Tiger could see he wasn't going to last long with that arrangement.

As an aside, I have never understood why the 2000-2001 Majors wins are called the "Tiger Slam".

Sure, he didn't win them in a single year, but when he won the 2001 Masters he held all four Major titles. Isn't that a "Grand Slam"?

P.S.I didn't think he'd win this time either, but boy, play not so great and come second? (worship)

My 12c

Immelman gave a great acceptance speech and my hat's off to him! Not a more deserving guy in golf, especially for a guy who was faced with a possible cancerous tumour and other health problems last year...CONGRATS! :headbang:

By the way...did you see his old lady...what a FOX! Who knew golfers would get the model-babes for wives...

:insane:

Immelman gave a great acceptance speech and my hat's off to him! Not a more deserving guy in golf, especially for a guy who was faced with a possible cancerous tumour and other health problems last year...CONGRATS! :headbang:

By the way...did you see his old lady...what a FOX! Who knew golfers would get the model-babes for wives...

he locked that down when she was 13- didn't you catch that? he's obviously a smart guy.

he locked that down when she was 13- didn't you catch that? he's obviously a smart guy.

Yeah...I did...not only a great golfer but smart too! lol

Gee, Tiger's only 32 and Nicklaus (with whom he is so often compared) won his last Masters at 46. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

if he can stay healthy he gets to 19 majors. but athletes get injured, if he picks up a nagging injury then 19 could be tough.

you can't count on winning majors at 46, that's tough to pull off

I figure he has another 8 years to get 7 more majors, then he will be 40. after that, it gets tough to win

Tiger wont win every title... he never got it going this week. But even w/o his best stuff he hung tough and all but one of the others came back to him. Im still impressed. And pretty impressed with Immelman who started out lousy and held on after a wild first few holes. He was hitting the greens pretty good when he had to.

Well..... Tiger came 2nd. Looks like Immelman was the "ABT" many people were cheering for.

If Tiger could not pull off the slam this year he never will. This was the hottest he ever was going into the start of the Majors season.

He won't be that hot every year. In fact, there is no guarantee he will even win 19 Majors and surpass Jack. He's getting older and is only one wrist, knee or back injury away from being unable to compete at the highest level.

I'm sure Arnold Palmer thought he would win more majors after he won 4 of them in 7 years, but then he stopped winning them. After #4 that was it..... no more Masters titles for Arnold. The same could happen to Tiger.

Right now he is still #1 but when an athlete starts losing his skills there is often a rapid decline. He needs to hurry and get 19 before his skills drop off.

I say Tiger will surpass Nicklaus record. Want to bet a round of beer on it. :baiting:

Immelman though is a ^^

Immelman won, and congrats to Immelman.

But if you think Immelman is a threat to Tiger,

you need to check Immelman's last tournament,

when he didn't even make the cut.

In fact, he's missed 4 out of 9 cuts in 2008.

Immelman also only played well 3 out of 4 days...

so his "amazing run" didn't even last until the 4th day.

Every golf tournament has some "suprise nobody" who is playing well,

only to fade back into the anonymous crowd by the next tournament.

Tiger bested every other player in the tournament. Every other player.

He had a horrible week of golf and was still better than everyone except a single fluke-boy.

I don't think Tiger's days are over. Tiger really only lost to himself.

Everyone who watched Tiger play saw multiple bad hits and bad putts

that weren't very "Tiger-like"... how is it that we know what "Tiger-like" should be?

Because it's a standard that he has put in front of our faces so many times,

we really only recognize it when it's missing.

Tiger played badly, got 2nd in the Masters.

What does that say about everyone else?

Tiger will be fine. (thumbs u

if he can stay healthy he gets to 19 majors. but athletes get injured, if he picks up a nagging injury then 19 could be tough.

He already has a nagging injury, and regardless of how much Tiger plays it down, he's had chronic back problems for awhile now. He also has ACL issues due to a tumor in his knee. Sometimes it really bothers him, especially in the damp weather of the British Open - in 2004/2005 he was pretty well bed-ridden. But again, he's very tough and still goes out and plays.

I think his chronic injuries have gotten a little better lately, which is one big reason why he's off to a rocket start.