• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diving right in....

23 posts in this topic

I'm not much of an OA collector by any stretch, but I've always wanted a nice Heath page, but never could find the right one. There are 3 elements of his art that I really appreciate. 1) dogfights in the air - half the time these are airplane vs land-based craft, but often plane vs plane as well. 2) his shadowing, particularly night time & rainy scenes. 3) tanks. Nobody drew a tank like Heath. When this came up, I figured I couldn't let it go. Now for a rainy scene and a tank..... (anyone? :baiting: )

56437-heathOAAW91pga.jpg.112d09496fdccd0bb027be666457e631.jpg

:whatthe:(worship) Diving right in is RIGHT!

What a fantastic, dynamic piece!! I've often considered buying a nice page from the genre -- I was always partial to Kubert Sgt. Rock and Haunted Tank stories. Haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. But you've got me thinking hm

Hats off to you for starting out with a giant leap, rather than a small step! :applause:

--Steve

I absolutely love that cover. If I were to have a "Grail" of OA, that might be it. Somewhat raw, but clearly evolved Heath. The cross hatching in the background is wonderful.

Glad you like it. I'll upload some Heath covers for you.

Any interest in his Horror art? He was a prolific cover artist for Atlas (pre-Silver Age Marvel) and illustrated some really memorable images . . .

27wrpxh.jpg

I love it all. Those are GREAT. If I had to single out a horror cover, it might be this one http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=254944&GSub=39454 , but your Astonishing would be up there. How many Heath covers do you have?

I have just the three I've now uploaded onto your thread.

The SPELLBOUND cover is a classic.

Here's a cover my friend, Lloyd, owns:

2nvs7jq.jpg

Here's what's believed to be the only surviving 'Dinosaur' cover from DC's STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES Monster Island series . . .

1zl3s50.jpg

God I love this cover. And pretty much all the SSWS dino covers, for that matter. I mean, ARMY MEN + DINOSAURS!!! Those books had to have FLOWN off the shelves back in the day....

:cloud9:

I love it all. Those are GREAT. If I had to single out a horror cover, it might be this one http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=254944&GSub=39454 , but your Astonishing would be up there. How many Heath covers do you have?

2nvs7jq.jpg

Lloyd is a lucky man. Do you know to what extent the Atlas art still exists?

Heath told me that many of his Atlas covers were laid out by Burgos, which is why some looked a little different than his usual approach to the layout of a scene.

2nvs7jq.jpg

Lloyd is a lucky man. Do you know to what extent the Atlas art still exists?

Not really, though there are a smattering of cover examples on display within the galleries of CAF. I doubt that there's a great deal of surviving original Atlas art out there (considering the huge amount of material the company published). Doc Vassallo has a nice selection of Joe Maneely art and Rich Donnelly has some good examples.

Currently, I'm in the process of acquiring a John Severin Atlas war cover from 1957.

Heath told me that many of his Atlas covers were laid out by Burgos, which is why some looked a little different than his usual approach to the layout of a scene.

I would guess you could probably pick those out. Some just don't have the "pop" that others do, and at first glance look like Burgos or other "standard" Atlas fare.

What a great thread! Thanks! I enjoy seeing the variety of great art that's out there, and it certainly makes us all better collectors as we start to appreciate art outside our "comfort zone." Heath was an amazing talent, no doubt!

Hari

I'm not much of an OA collector by any stretch, but I've always wanted a nice Heath page, but never could find the right one. There are 3 elements of his art that I really appreciate. 1) dogfights in the air - half the time these are airplane vs land-based craft, but often plane vs plane as well. 2) his shadowing, particularly night time & rainy scenes. 3) tanks. Nobody drew a tank like Heath. When this came up, I figured I couldn't let it go. Now for a rainy scene and a tank..... (anyone? :baiting: )

Where did you get this? It is sublime. What issue # as well. This is a keeper.

Where did you get this? It is sublime. What issue # as well. This is a keeper.

Saul Zimmerman at kirbyart.com. Great guy based on this transaction. He worked with me to pay it off over time and was great with communicating every step of the way. It's OAAW 92.