• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unethical or good business sense?

31 posts in this topic

If you don't agree with CGC's grade simply take it out of the case. Just because their opinion is different then yours doesn't necesarily make theirs the right one.

I agree with this, especially on the lower grades. If you got back an 8.0 and wanted to sell it as a NM+, it might be a slightly different story.

Hold on there. Look at my original post; I never said that I would misrepresent the grade to a potential buyer

Not fully disclosing information can be viewed as misrepresentation.

Displaying the unslabbed version while the book is in a slab is misrepresentation.

I think what I would do is run a full scan of the book and in the description detail the thoughts you presented. Disclose the CGC grade but have the full scan so the buyer can make a good judgment. I bought a ASM 121 for $35 with a sub crease front and back but otherwise the book was in great condition, maybe a 8.5 - 9.0 without the crease. Overall appearance is what many collectors go after for lower grade books. For me to live with myself, I would have a full scan to back up my disagreement with cgc but I would include the cgc grade.

Try calling them up and asking them for the grader's notes. As I understand it, the job of the first CGC grader, called the pre-grader, is to jot down major defects so that the second and final graders don't miss any defects. From what I've gathered, these notes are available to the people you talk to on the phone via the software they use to manage their grading process. If you call them on the telephone, I've heard many people say they're willing to release some of the grader's notes; this could give you an idea why it got 6.5 instead of a higher grade.

If it were me who sent that slab in, I'd do it without hesitation. If you do decide to call 'em up, many of the readers here would appreciate hearing what lowered the book so much. Hope to see you posting their response soon!

I'm not too clear on exactly what you might be looking for by way of explanation, but having just wrapped up the new Grading Guide, I can speak to a few thing about page whiteness.

1) The OWL scale is undeniably out of date in relation to where the Overstreet standards and grade descriptions are now, although the new book will include some OWL numbers for those still interested in the scale as it once was.

2) Page quality and color have always been part of the grade descriptions and part of the way you can determine what grade a particular comic is, so if that means that page whiteness counts as part of the numerical grading scale - not sure if that's what you mean - then yes, page quality is one of many factors in determining the over all grade.

Um...anything else? smile.gif

I did not say that I would try and sell it with any grade. I did not say that I would put it on eBay saying that I thought it was such-and-such a grade. Read the words.

"I" thought it was better than 1.8; I never said that I would tell people that it was (in anyone's opinion) another grade. My question was should a person disregard the CGC grade and sell the comic from its pre-slabbed scan -- without mentioning any grade?

Perhaps more to the point would be selling the comic without trying to grade it (by using the pre-slabbed scan) and then sending the winner the CGCed 1.8 copy. The winner would be getting the slabbing for free....

By the way, the word you are thinking of is "jibe" not "jive.":)

Yawn. You never mentioned anything about not mentioning any grade in your original post. You just said that you would not mention the CGC grade. To be honest, perhaps you should reconsider re-writing your whole post to be consistent to what you are saying now. Either you take it out of the slab and give your opinion of the grade or leave it in the slab and advise what the potential buyers of the CGC grade. You could mention that you disagree with the grade and give your reason. What you are proposing now shows some deception and I think you know. So...defend yourself if you may but I think that I have said enough regarding this matter. Ultimately, it's your reputation that is at stake.

If you auction the book with the unslabbed scan, and describe it as a 3.0 to 4.0, and then send the buyer the book in the CGC 1.8 slab, then you've misrepresented the book. I guarantee you'll have an upset buyer.

If you crack the slab, and sell the book raw with a scan, and let the buyer decide value, that's a bit different.

It may be irrelevant... you may get the same final auction value by selling the book as a 1.8 slabbed vs an unslabbed book with a big scan.