• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fleamarkets!

33 posts in this topic

went to a flea market with my kid yesterday to kill time while mommy was doing something else. wanted to re-visit a guy I had picked up some nice sharp SA/BA from about 1 1/2 years ago for $3 a pop last time I was there, but he didn't have any comics this time. nobody did. i did buy aidan some spiderman stickers, which totally mesmorized him (which go along with his spiderman umbrella we were toting around) he was a very good boy yesterday while we wandered around killing time.

My buddy and LCS owner Andy Brast used to sell at the flea markets every weekend. High grade GA and SA. He did really well. That was probably almost 30 years ago though.

R.

My best flea market buy was a VG/FN OW Classics Comics #3 first printing for $12. Long time ago - around 1998ish. Around the same time I found in an antique cooperative a Detective 16 (or 18 - forget now) in VF W for $60.

FMC.jpg

You must be a fellow Canadian...the Indiana Jones 1 that you picked up is a Canadian newsstand "variant". So might be the He-Man LS 1 as well.

Just letting you know...cool finds!

Does that make them worth more or something ? :D & yes I'm in chilliwack bc :) Really only picked up the IJ cause of the movie thought maybe I could trade it or sell it for more due to the movie hype :) If not then I Have my self a neat lil IJ comic :)

How do you tell the difference by the way between a u.s. comic and a Cdn comic ( & does it really matter in most cases?!) ?.. uga uga that sounds like a bad joke :D

I used to buy all my comics from Richie (Tomorrows Treasures) at the flea-market they had every weekend during the off-season at Aqueduct Race Track as a kid. There were maybe 3-4 vendors that had comics.

seams like everyone is aware of comics have a certain degree of value nowadays.Its tuff for a real find.

the guy i had bought from even had a copy of that other non-OPG guide (CPG?) and was trying to show me the prices in there when he was shooting for $10 a book (he knew the prices were works of fiction but figured the comics had to be worth something) and I knocked him down, letting him know none of his comics were NM, so the NM price was irrelevant, and these were worth $3 each on ebay, etc. Well, the $3 each part wasn't true.

What I wonder is what I missed. I clearly wasn't the first person to get a crack at these comics. There were some nice VF to VF/Nm late 60's marvels in there and some early 60s stuff too, but not in as nice shape. Was the one 10 cent flash left over just one of several originally? Had all the other X-men and other spideys been cherry picked? These are the things that torment me....

Brought some odd stuff I would not normally buy but I thought the covers looked neat ... anyone know if anything here is worth anything ? :D

mystery.jpg

mystery1.jpg

strange.jpg

unexpected.jpg

WWar.jpg

I know nothing of this one but figured what the heck I am never going to own a original :D

SUPMFront.jpg

SUPMCloseup.jpg

back cover

SUPMback.jpg

alienworlds.jpg

alien worlds #1-7 or some such Think I already have these but could not remember what ones Grrr!

some hulk

hulks.jpg

I have more but I have a new digicam & I got a new 4 gig sd card & had some trouble with it I think it deleted the pictures for some reason !! you can see it only put up half of the AW stuff :S still figuring it all out...

Around 15 years ago I use to go to the flea markets all the time, I would look forward to the adventure every sunday. It was fun to buy comics, cards, Video games and old movies for very cheap. The people selling at the market were more or less just people who were moving their "old junk". I remember most every comic was .50 cents, video games .50 cents, movies $1 and cards just as cheap.

I would always pick up a pile of comics and negotiate a deal for the lot, .50 cents each was too much then haha. I bought alot fo cool comics and some really good one. However my favorite buy was a TOD #10 for $.50 cents. It was in spectacular condition and the seller just thought of it as a regular comic. Of course Blade wasn't all that popular back then except to the dracula collectors. On the same day I bought a ASM 129, Hulk 181 (rough shape) and FF 55-70 (decent shape). I remember paying $10 each for the Hulk and ASM and my girlfriend (now wife) couldn't belive I was wasting so much money. The same guy had an Uncanny X-men #1 and he wanted $100 for it...sigh I thought it was too much at the time so I walked a way.

Those days are long gone now. Every person at the flea markets here now have everything bagged, priced and a guide waiting. There is no big deals or cheap finds anymore, its basically the same as going to a comic shop minus the walls. I wish the comic and card industry would have stayed as a fun hobby and not turned into big business. At first I was excited to use the internett to sell of my old junk and to buy stuff that I would never have been able to find otherwise. However now it seems that the fun of the hunt don't exsist anymore. As long as you have the cash there is no collectable that you can't find or buy using the internet. I remember waiting 3 years to find a GI Joe 21, now I could buy 50 within 30 minutes.

I miss the old days of collecting.