• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know?

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if this is true art? I mean the person says they drew it which I believe them, but did they photocopy the cover and then did some kind of tracing, because this seems to close to the original (at least to my untrained eye.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantastic-Four-112-Hulk-Thing-Kirby-Buscema-Homage_W0QQitemZ320141926261QQihZ011QQcategoryZ972QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone know if this is true art? I mean the person says they drew it which I believe them, but did they photocopy the cover and then did some kind of tracing, because this seems to close to the original (at least to my untrained eye.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantastic-Four-112-Hulk-Thing-Kirby-Buscema-Homage_W0QQitemZ320141926261QQihZ011QQcategoryZ972QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Most likely they used one of these to do the job.

55309-1009-3ww-l.jpg

If it wasn't a light box it might have been some other type of projection equipement they used to blow up the original image and trace it onto board.

Also, if you were thinking of buying it you'd want a hi-res color scan in larger size so you could see how they filled in all those nice blacks. If they used a marker it might not hold it's color over time, and if they used lesser materials you might see dozens of streaks when you actually have the piece in hand.

C

55309-1009-3ww-l.jpg

If it wasn't a light box it might have been some other type of projection equipement they used to blow up the original image and trace it onto board.

Also, if you were thinking of buying it you'd want a hi-res color scan in larger size so you could see how they filled in all those nice blacks. If they used a marker it might not hold it's color over time, and if they used lesser materials you might see dozens of streaks when you actually have the piece in hand.

C

EBay description says permanent india inks.

55309-1009-3ww-l.jpg

C

EBay description says permanent india inks.

I have learned from some :cry: experiences that even that can mean an india ink marker...which can be as streaky as anything else. And some artists do the figures in india ink and the backgrounds another way.

I guess he's gonna have to email and ask specifically...and a scan with some pixels would be the biggest help.

55309-1009-3ww-l.jpg

C

Wow I knew someone would have good info here! I just couldn't figure out how anyone could get such an exact looking cover without help! And now I know!

Thank You!

The image looks "tweaked" in Photoshop to show contrast. I would ask the buyer for a "raw" scan - not tweaked - to see the actual line art and how well the inks were done.

2 cents,

Terry