• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is it ok to grade a book 2.0 with brittle pages?

3 posts in this topic

The way CGC handles brittle pages baffles me. I was always taught by dealers in my area and also a few Overstreet advisors that I know that a book with brittle pages can only receive a fair grade or a poor grade yet there was a Detective 15 on Ebay a couple of weeks ago that had brittle pages and was graded a 2.0. Also, in the Overstreet grading guide there are at least two books graded a 2.0 with brittle pages by CGC. It clearly states in Overstreets definition of Good that pages are brown not brittle. And dont give me this slightly brittle thing, it clearly states on the CGC notes, brittle pages not "slightly brittle" Can anybody clear this up for me?

Hi:

For one thing, CGC and overstreet don't grade the same as you noted when comparing CGC to OSGG. I believe CGC's grade is based mostly on structure, with a notation of page quality on the label.