• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please give your opinion based upon graders notes

24 posts in this topic

I ran across a CGC graded Golden Age book with some fairly obvious defects reflected on the cover. As much as I like the issue, the defects prevent me from going after the particular book. Here are the CGC graders notes:

1) Crunch at the bottom of the spine;

2) Color breaking crease at the bottom right corner (approximately 1.75 inches);

3) Crease on the top left corner of back cover.

Without seeing a scan, would would be the maximum grade that you would assign the book? I will post a scan of the cover once a consensus appears to have been reached.

Thx for humoring my little experiment.

Given the crease on the back as well as the 1.75"er, I'd have to say 6.5.

Bring on the gift grade! :popcorn:

6.0 would be my blind pick - but if the CBC is faint, 6.5 could be acceptable, anything higher sounds like a gift to me.

I recall someone posting a SA Marvel squarebound with a roughly 3"- 4" cbc that was otherwise cherry - and it got a CGC 7.0 IIRC. I thought that was a gift.

I ran across a CGC graded Golden Age book with some fairly obvious defects reflected on the cover. As much as I like the issue, the defects prevent me from going after the particular book. Here are the CGC graders notes:

1) Crunch at the bottom of the spine;

2) Color breaking crease at the bottom right corner (approximately 1.75 inches);

3) Crease on the top left corner of back cover.

"Crunch" is never a good word - it means an impact that affects the entire corner.

1.75" crease drops it to the Fine range alone.

The last crease is inconsequential, given the first.

I'll say 5.5 :sumo:

The results are pretty consistent with what I expected, with a range of grades from 5.5 on the low end to 7.5 on the high end. I thank everyone who replied. The book was graded an old label 7.5, so djpinkpanther takes the prize, with oakman29 also essentially getting CGC's grade correct with his 7.0/7.5 slasher.

I defininitely feel that a 7.5 grade for this book is generous, despite the fact that I love this particular issue. I am in the range of 6.5 myself.

And the scan:

pl17_75.jpg

Looking at the scan of the cover, does anyone who came in lower than 7.5 (the vast majority of you) think that 7.5 should apply, despite the grader's notes?

Thx

1.75" crease drops it to the Fine range alone.

I'll say 5.5 :sumo:

I agree with your stance on the crease dropping the book to the Fine range. I own a Silver Age Fantastic Book that look pristine, with the only defect being a faint crease on the bottom right hand corner. I would give it a FN+ simply for a slight GA bump and overall sharp appearance of spine and the top left and right corners.