• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EARTHQUAKE!

63 posts in this topic

The Tremblement de Terre (or "Earthquake") Cocktail has been attributed to the French Post-Impressionist painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. The name is derived from its effects, which tend to "shake up" the drinker.

In a wine goblet mix:

3 parts Absinthe

3 parts Cognac

Variants

It is sometimes served with ice cubes or shaken in a cocktail shaker filled with ice to chill it before serving.

Another drink that is also called "Earthquake":

1 part gin

1 part whiskey

1 part Pernod liquorice liqueur

Source: wikipedia

The initial quake was no big deal here. Woke me up but I went right back to sleep. It was the aftershock when I'm 21 floors up that was more worrisome.

Black_Hand: In this area, due to soil structure, quakes are felt more than in CA. Not that I don't acknowledge that you have more and more severe all the time.

We have mud flats and layers of clay here in Anchorage, so we have the bowlfull of jelly feeling during earthquakes...and of course we did have the 1964 good friday whopper (Magnitude 9.2Mw 8.4 Richter). Of course we've had some good ones since then as well.

56937-images.jpg.b301176f42f8b1babfe6a624a5957ff2.jpg

It woke me up out of bed this morning at about 5:30. I live in Northern Kentucky. It did some minor damage to some buildings downtown.

833ee7f4-caac-4f52-a008-47d092c48db6-big.jpg

fefefebd-f300-46b7-8953-28c4bdb28b04-small.jpg

We also felt a tremor here at work at about 12:25 PM.

It was pretty exciting since it was my first earthquake.

It woke me up out of bed this morning at about 5:30. I live in Northern Kentucky. It did some minor damage to some buildings downtown.

833ee7f4-caac-4f52-a008-47d092c48db6-big.jpg

fefefebd-f300-46b7-8953-28c4bdb28b04-small.jpg

We also felt a tremor here at work at about 12:25 PM.

It was pretty exciting since it was my first earthquake.

Huh. I'm about 150 miles south of you and I didn't know it could be felt this far away. Of course, I've been loopy the past few days because of allergies. I could have slept right thru it.

I didn't feel it here in Mideastern Indiana, but I am teaching about Plate Tectonics and Earthquakes in my 8th grade class. Several of the students felt the quake and aftershock....Worked out to be a really good discussion in class!

The initial quake was no big deal here. Woke me up but I went right back to sleep. It was the aftershock when I'm 21 floors up that was more worrisome.

Black_Hand: In this area, due to soil structure, quakes are felt more than in CA. Not that I don't acknowledge that you have more and more severe all the time.

Actually, the effects of a quake vary upon location. If you're in a high rise you'll feel it differently on an upper floor than a lower. If you're in a home with a slab foundation, you'll feel it differently than if it was a post and pier foundation. Some buildings are stiff and some are more elastic. They all feel different and have different levels of severity, in terms of damage. Some houses will walk off their foundations and some won't, even if they're right next door. I'm not minimising what people experienced in the midwest, but I've been some really severe ones that scared the hell out of me, just like most Californians my age.