• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tim Holt 11 Need Help

13 posts in this topic

Well, I already own this book but am thinking of upgrading. I decided before throwing any money at it, I'd like a board opinion. These pictures are all the info I have about the book so grade will need to be based on them. Thanks in advance everyone.

timholt11.jpg

timholt11a.jpg

timholt1b1.jpg

timholt11c.jpg

timholt11d.jpg

timholt11e.jpg

4.0 OW/W :sumo:

Do you mind if I ask why specifically you gave it this grade? I definitely didn't think it was as high as the seller did, but I also thought it was a bit above what you're suggesting also. However, I find you're a terrific grader for the most part and would love to get your thoughts. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at something obvious in this scan and not seeing it. (I'm wondering if the staining isn't moisture damage, actually.)

Thanks so much,

-Rob-

Hey Rob,

Looking at the scans, I see the following:

- Moderate staining along the spine and ULEBC

- Moderate spine creasing

- What appears to be some rust migration from both of the staples

- A 4" NCB bend to the LRFC tha appears to go through the entire book

- A 3" NCB bend along the spine at the LLFC

- Slight spine roll

Still, it looks like a solid copy - I could see perhaps a 5.0 if the staples are clean and there is no migration, but I'd be happier buying it as a 4.0 :)

David

Hey Rob,

Looking at the scans, I see the following:

- Moderate staining along the spine and ULEBC

- Moderate spine creasing

- What appears to be some rust migration from both of the staples

- A 4" NCB bend to the LRFC tha appears to go through the entire book

- A 3" NCB bend along the spine at the LLFC

- Slight spine roll

Still, it looks like a solid copy - I could see perhaps a 5.0 if the staples are clean and there is no migration, but I'd be happier buying it as a 4.0 :)

David

Alright-- you da man. Thanks very much.

-Rob-

4.0 or 4.5 seems about right. The staining is really distracting on the white background, I'm afraid. And the white itself looks dingy, and the book appears to have a variety of NCB dents and dings on the cover.

Thanks for all the input. It's kind of unfortunate. This is actually a tough book. I think the highest graded is an 8.0. I know it used to be 7.5 but I remember someone posted on the boards a while back when they planned on selling a newly graded 8.0 or 8.5. (But I think it was 8.0.)

This copy presents significantly better than mine. However, it's actual grade is not significantly better than mine.

May have to keep searching...

Well, I already own this book but am thinking of upgrading. I decided before throwing any money at it, I'd like a board opinion. These pictures are all the info I have about the book so grade will need to be based on them. Thanks in advance everyone.

timholt11.jpg

timholt11a.jpg

timholt1b1.jpg

timholt11c.jpg

timholt11d.jpg

timholt11e.jpg

When you say it presents better than yours you should listen to your gut.The real quesion here is how much does the stainin bother you? If not for that...I'd give it at least a 6.5 maybe more.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

jimjum has a point - the book has strong eye-appeal even with the bends, with very little tanning for a white cover book that old, and the stain is mostly a BC issue. Whatever the technical grade, if it looks better, it's an upgrade, and might be worth a slight premium. Though if the seller is unrealistic about the grade, it may not be worth it.