• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

15 REASONS WHY OA WILL GO UP IN VALUE

72 posts in this topic

REASON # 8 is the actual epistemological principal guiding OA appreciation.

The other reasons are catalysts for how the market will come to realize true value.

"epistemological" ! wow, thats a big word ;)

I agree with the article that alot of collectibles are grossly undervalued because of collectors nostalgia preventing them from selling their items

To keep things in perspective, the guy who shelled out the 15k may think that someone who spent the same amount on a page of comic art had 'lost their marbles." :)

And I have to agree with NEO-CON (KK) on this one... I would imagine that some of the privately made offers that have been turned down would seem like staggering amounts of money to most collectors. The nostalgic connection is so strong that I'm sure that certain items will have to be pried from the cold dead hands of their owners before they see the light of day.

The buzz around the John Adams mini-series???? I live in Williamsburg where a portion of the film was shot and no one here talks about it except for the Forrest Gump aspect of putting Adams in locales and situations he was not part of. I found it lacking especially compared to Rome and Band of Brothers. Using that mini-series as a reason that certain collectibles (i.e. presidential, historical etc.) are on the rise and will spill over to other areas seems a bit of a reach to me. Though to be fair, when the movie Gettysburg came out all those years ago, there was a big spike in Civil War era items. I used to go to some of the antique militaria shows with my Dad, and the prices skyrocketed.

I don't have a horse in this either way. Most of the stuff I want, I can't afford and I sure as heck am not in this for flipping or money, I am in it because I enjoy it.

What are thoughts on the prices realised in the comiclink auction ? Prices seem lower ? 30k now 20k or less

Half the items didn't reach reserve... I think there are 5 Kirby pages that didn't sell even (shrug)

Maybe the price surge on some pages (and then only for a particular artist on that particular book at that particular time) has planted a little seed in some sellers minds that they need to amp up their asking prices for everything.

I think it's wishful thinking on a lot of sellers minds that all art from the Silver and Bronze Age has all of a sudden gotten a lot more valuable.

I thought the prices for the Ditko pieces were strong. 23.5K for that ASM #10 page was very healthy, I thought.

I think, as with most emerging hobbies, that after an enormous price surge, that buyers recoil a bit and become more careful with their purchases. Primo art will always command top dollar and record prices -- just like HG key comic books -- but not every Kirby page can be a 20K page - just like every 9.8 Silver Age book can't be a 10K book.

Thanks! I just perused the solds and unsolds...

Can someone elaborate and point to specific examples of a 'softening' here. I thought prices were very strong for most of the pieces. Ditko pages seemed strong. Just because one spidey page didn't sell... it still had a strong bid at almost 20k for a mostly character page. The Kirby prices seemed strong for not very strong examples. Not every splash is the same. Plus I thought the Cap 211 page should have sold at $1800. The FF panel page at $7200, c'mon. I personally know some of these sellers and they have just been asking Krazy prices for these pieces for some time now. I don't think it's an indication of a soft market when pieces are reserved too high and they don't sell. Just common sense. Ok, maybe the Cockrum splash should have gone a tad higher, but that piece has been almost constantly for sale publically for several years now and for better or worse the shine just wears off I suppose...

Strong price examples other than above:

Bob Brown Avengers 117 page $750

Avengers 116 page 5k

Ditko Dr. Strange 20k ish

MTU 35 cover $4100

Wolverine page by Miller 8.5k

Magilla Gorilla sold for $'s... just kidding, but did go for a good price.