• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could have just one Pre code horror...

Horror grail  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Horror grail

56 posts in this topic

yes, but it's a crime cover, no? :baiting:

I used to seperate the classic pre-code crime covers from the horror category - but I think in the minds of many, the more gruesome covers count as "horror" books.

Here is a classic that didn't make the list...

voh30.jpg

As far as I am concerned, NOTHING beats this book for striking cover imagery. Not anything from the golden age, silver age, bronze age or modern age. Nothing.

mm12-1.jpg

As far as I am concerned, NOTHING beats this book for striking cover imagery. Not anything from the golden age, silver age, bronze age or modern age. Nothing.

mm12-1.jpg

Well said Andy! Nice looking copy.

While I think Mr. Mystery #12 is right up at the top, I put 2 covers ahead of it for sheer brutality.

Weird Chills#2 - because the head is seen trapped, and is being slowly tortured by multiple face wounds. The nail in the lip is bad enough, but the hook in the eye is just too much!

Thing #7 - This one because the perpetrator WAS an attractive woman, which plays on the fears of the opposite sex AND the fingernails are IN the eyes, and blood is streaming out.

57195-weirdchills2.jpg.61946fbc3dfb38ca3ebd870cddf7d0ef.jpg

57196-TheThing_7.jpg.bca89949432983aaf933821e079adf8e.jpg

OK, I am starting to get a little confused. Is this thread/poll about "covers" or "books"? (shrug)

I seperate the two, personally. If the vote is on the basis of cover, I'd have to change mine. :gossip:

Makes little difference to me, as I am mostly a cover collector, but if we have to take interiors into consideration I would either choose an EC or a book with a killer Wolverton story. Kinda takes the fun out of it, as my choices would be pretty limited because of it and many classic, classic books would be knocked out of the running.

The actual thread just asks which we would choose if we could only take one, so I am going to pick the book with the best cover and ignore interiors. (shrug)

OK, I am starting to get a little confused. Is this thread/poll about "covers" or "books"? (shrug)

I seperate the two, personally. If the vote is on the basis of cover, I'd have to change mine. :gossip:

Makes little difference to me, as I am mostly a cover collector, but if we have to take interiors into consideration I would either choose an EC or a book with a killer Wolverton story. Kinda takes the fun out of it, as my choices would be pretty limited because of it and many classic, classic books would be knocked out of the running.

As quoted earlier by Paul, Weird Mysteries #5 has the tri-fecta!

784652-WeirdMysteries%235.jpg

617808-IMGP1865.JPG

917274-WM%235Text.jpg

Weird Mysteries #5

all-time classic Baily cover

"Swamp Monster" story by Wolverton

and a text piece on the pre-code witchhunt by the publisher

What else could you want in a pre-code book?

I should pull out my copy and read that.....oh wait, I don't own the book. :censored:

Every time I see one come up for auction, I get smoked on it. Haven't read that Wolverton story either, as I have had considerable trouble finding reprints of his horror and sci-fi stuff (when they even exist).

The actual thread just asks which we would choose if we could only take one, so I am going to pick the book with the best cover and ignore interiors. (shrug)

No sweat. I've had the mantra "you can't judge a book by its cover" drilled into my head all my life, that's probably why I make a distinction between the two. :insane: Yeah, the thread title just asks to chose one, but I believe Matthew's intro to the poll used the term "book," which is why I went with Eerie #1 instead of a classic cover.

Maybe we could get Matthew to make 3 polls? hm

Book - The whole package including interiors, cover, and any historical signifance.

Cover- Self explanatory.

Story - Again, self explanatory.

(shrug)

No sweat. I've had the mantra "you can't judge a book by its cover" drilled into my head all my life, that's probably why I make a distinction between the two. :insane: Yeah, the thread title just asks to chose one, but I believe Matthew's intro to the poll used the term "book," which is why I went with Eerie #1 instead of a classic cover.

Maybe we could get Matthew to make 3 polls? hm

Book - The whole package including interiors, cover, and any historical signifance.

Cover- Self explanatory.

Story - Again, self explanatory.

(shrug)

Works for me (thumbs u