• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age of Animation

101 posts in this topic

Great thread, Fuelman. I love watching the early cartoons and learning about all the experiments that went into them. I've been following the progress in 3d computer animation professionally since the 1980s and there are some very interesting parallels to how the technologies evolved. The animated shorts you see before each Pixar movie are in part a tribute to the early Disney shorts and in part an opportunity for Pixar to do research in new areas just like Disney did back in the 1930s. The connection between Mickey Mouse Magazines and the early Disney cartoons is part of the reason why this is my favorite GA title.

One of the fringe benefits of working for Pixar was the frequent seminars by early animation pioneers. While I was there, I attended talks by Glenn Keane, Ray Harryhausen, Diane Disney Miller and others. One of my favorite memories was the visit by Leslie Iwerks who came by to give an advance presentation of her then upcoming documentary about her grandfather: "The Man Behind the Mouse". It was really sweet to hear her anecdotes about Ub Iwerks and see how much she loved and admired him. That added a whole other dimension to the documentary. I'd highly recommend the recently released "The Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit" from the "Walt Disney Treasures" series. It includes "The Man Behind the Mouse" as well as some really rare and classic material.

REALLY like the thread, but I've only had time to watch a few videos.

Great stuff.

Jack

This is an early Fleischer cartoon from 1930 starring Bimbo and featuring the character who would soon become Betty Boop.

"Barnicle Bill" - Max Fleischer

I just found this thread, wow! It's going to take me some time to catch up on what I haven't seen. I love many of the ones posted, but there are so many new to me. I am a HUGE fan of the Betty Boop/Cab Calloway Trio, those 3 are pretty unbeatable in terms of visuals and music. Thanks for going through all this!

I used to have the book with the 50 best cartoons in it, it will be nice to see some of those I haven't yet.

REALLY loving the "John Carter of Mars" clips by Clampett ... I had no idea that work even existed, although I had heard about it. Wonderful, wonderful work.

Don't have time to contribute at the moment, and I have no idea how you guys are posting utube clips directly on the boards, but I'll post some links that will melt your brain!

Great thread, Fuelman!!!

Hey Folks!

Posting these videos is really easy. Just copy the embed code and paste like you would to make a post, then look below your post and change the "Markup" to read either "HTMLCode" or "HTMLCode and UBBCode", the click submit. That's it.

It's even easier if you use the Quick Reply linked to a previous Video, as it copies the HTMLCode from the previous post. ;)

In the early 70's, one of my junior high classes was animation. Our teacher formerly worked for Hanna-Barbera and we got to make our own cartoons using cels and shooting onto Super 8mm film. She had people come over from the studios to talk to us, including the great Daws Butler, voice of Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, Captain Crunch, etc. That class has stuck with me more than any other in my education process. Animation! :cloud9: