• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

census updated as of 10/13

56 posts in this topic

The "big difference" for brand new books being CGC'd is simply... greed.

Although you are correct in some cases, don't forget that now is the time to slab new books and get them in 9.8 and up...how many 10.0s of Golden, Silver and Bronze Age books do we have? not greed in this case, but ease of acquiring a high grade. Slab it now because after it sits in your longbox for a week or two it may be a 9.4 or lower...

The "big difference" for brand new books being CGC'd is simply... greed.

Although you are correct in some cases, don't forget that now is the time to slab new books and get them in 9.8 and up...how many 10.0s of Golden, Silver and Bronze Age books do we have? not greed in this case, but ease of acquiring a high grade. Slab it now because after it sits in your longbox for a week or two it may be a 9.4 or lower...

I am thinking someone 20/25 years ago said bag those comics now. How many NM's of Golden and Silver Age comics do we have? Bag 'em now, 'cause if you don't you'll have a pile of VG's and FInes in 20 years. Well, lotsa people listened, and they have their NM's .... but...so does everybody else.

Not disagreeing with you Darth simply because putting a comic in a bag and CGC'ing it are too different things. The cost makes it prohibitive. What may happen though, is because of how common a lot of these moderns may be in 9.4....in 20 years.....they could be considered as valuable or as collectable as the raw NM's are now in Modern.

The people slabbing new books are probably of the mindset that it's easier to get a 9.8 right now than five-ten years from now.

Unfortunately, there are 99 "losers" for every one "winner" when it comes

to picking the comic book "hits of the future". (Or is it 9,999 losers?)

Imagine how many slabbed copies there would be of books like

Nth Man or Fish Police or Funeral for Superman or Spidey Clone books

if people had been slabbing the "hottest books of the day",

shelling out $20+ apiece, thinking they would reap some reward in the future.

It's tough enough knowing where to spend your $25 on five or ten books ungraded,

when they might be next months 1/2 price extras...

or next decade's bargain bin books.

Why risk $35 or more on a single graded copy of an unproven, brand new book?

CGC Census numbers are unbelievable for books like Wolverine: Origin

and Ultimate Spiderman. Not just #1 issues, either... all issues.

Ultimate Spiderman? What? Are you kidding me?

How are people convincing themselves that the 14th incarnation/volume/reboot

of a major character will be "worth" anything beyond cover price and a quick read?

Think about it...

Amazing Spider-Man #1 (1963)... great book... first in the first series. No question.

Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man #1... so-so book even 25+ years later...

even though it's a "first issue", it's no "big deal" because we've already got

Amazing Spider-man... the "REAL" Spidey series... Peter Parker #1? Eh.

Web of Spider-man #1... is this even realistically worth $10 today? $5? Anyone?

Spider-man #1 (1990)... one of the most exciting (at the time) launches ever.

How about 3 for $1?

Spider-man 2099 #1... **crickets chirping**

Spider-man Unlimited #1 (1993)... ten years ago.

Does anyone remember that? Bueller? ...Bueller?

Skip several other Spider-man series... and jump ahead...

Now we're sitting in 2003, and "Ultimate Spider-man #1" is suddenly "slab-worthy",

and not just the #1 issue... but #17... and #36... and every issue, every month.

Buy it "high-grade"... get that 9.8... shell out $25, $35, $50+ per issue...

After all, we're meeting new "Ultimate" characters, aren't we?

The next earth-shattering big villain or hero is there in the pages, right?

Surely it's not just some nice covers and panel drawings of the same old stuff?

Surely there's a reason that hundreds of copies are slabbed

and changing hands for more than $20 apiece when they're a month old...

Surely...it can't lose, right?

"The 14th time's the charm"... isn't that what they say?

The long-term possibilities must be... the Ultimate bestest ever. thumbsup2.gif

**end of rant**

It's tough enough knowing where to spend your $25 on five or ten books ungraded,

If we're talking about the 9.8 guaranteed service, then it's guaranteed and you're just paying more for it. (About $400 a year?)

I think this is more for the hard-core collector that has a high grade collection and wishes to extend that collection to infinity. Some people don't just buy X-men 94 to 142 or whatever in high grade.. they collect the ENTIRE series. It makes more sense now to get the current issues in 9.8 or whatever than assume that the raw copies they have will meet that grade. Now that's not me... but I can see the reasoning there.

It's not about what price they cost or what they're worth even. Collecting is another mindset entirely. It's almost an obsession.

Unfortunately, there are 99 "losers" for every one "winner" when it comes

to picking the comic book "hits of the future". (Or is it 9,999 losers?)

Imagine how many slabbed copies there would be of books like

Nth Man or Fish Police or Funeral for Superman or Spidey Clone books

if people had been slabbing the "hottest books of the day",

shelling out $20+ apiece, thinking they would reap some reward in the future.

CGC Census numbers are unbelievable for books like Wolverine: Origin

and Ultimate Spiderman. Not just #1 issues, either... all issues.

Ultimate Spiderman? What? Are you kidding me?

of a major character will be "worth" anything beyond cover price and a quick read?

Think about it...

Amazing Spider-Man #1 (1963)... great book... first in the first series. No question.

Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man #1... so-so book even 25+ years later...

even though it's a "first issue", it's no "big deal" because we've already got

Amazing Spider-man... the "REAL" Spidey series... Peter Parker #1? Eh.

Web of Spider-man #1... is this even realistically worth $10 today? $5? Anyone?

Spider-man #1 (1990)... one of the most exciting (at the time) launches ever.

How about 3 for $1?

Spider-man 2099 #1... **crickets chirping**

Spider-man Unlimited #1 (1993)... ten years ago.

Does anyone remember that? Bueller? ...Bueller?

Skip several other Spider-man series... and jump ahead...

Now we're sitting in 2003, and "Ultimate Spider-man #1" is suddenly "slab-worthy",

and not just the #1 issue... but #17... and #36... and every issue, every month.

Buy it "high-grade"... get that 9.8... shell out $25, $35, $50+ per issue...

After all, we're meeting new "Ultimate" characters, aren't we?

The next earth-shattering big villain or hero is there in the pages, right?

Surely it's not just some nice covers and panel drawings of the same old stuff?

Surely there's a reason that hundreds of copies are slabbed

and changing hands for more than $20 apiece when they're a month old...

Surely...it can't lose, right?

"The 14th time's the charm"... isn't that what they say?

The long-term possibilities must be... the Ultimate bestest ever. thumbsup2.gif

**end of rant**

That was an awesome post! popcorn.gif

Without a doubt, despite the fact that they're nearly worthless (maybe 1-2 dollars an issue). I'd certainly pay a premium for a service that could get me 9.8's on all the ASM's between 350-441. You buy what you like, and personally I think new books should be 9.8's so that's what I look for. smile.gif

Brian

Id like a service that picks undamaged new copies every week in anything from 9.6 and up.....since its not so easy to do it myself. Im pretty confident Ill keep em in nice condition, and its way cheaper than buying them slabbed. $1 a book. ANybody want the job?

I'd certainly pay a premium for a service that could get me 9.8's

CGC could make a fortune on a PRE-GRADED 9.8 an up series. They should make some deals with the comic book companies and grade/slab new comics for all those that are looking for new books in MINT condition. Grade um before they hit the shelves. Its really hard to just go to a store and find a near mint copy of any comic. Believe me I've tried. Most of the new books always have some little thing wrong. I would think if it was priced low enough to buy slabbed PRE-GRADED books there would be a lot of collectors interested. CGC should look into it. It might be worth thier wile.

CGC could make a fortune on a PRE-GRADED 9.8 an up series. They should make some deals with the comic book companies and grade/slab new comics for all those that are looking for new books in MINT condition. Grade um before they hit the shelves. Its really hard to just go to a store and find a near mint copy of any comic. Believe me I've tried. Most of the new books always have some little thing wrong. I would think if it was priced low enough to buy slabbed PRE-GRADED books there would be a lot of collectors interested. CGC should look into it. It might be worth thier wile.

Colossus Comics has that service already. They include a reading copy with the guaranteed CGC 9.6 or 9.8 subscription that you buy.

Ironic how someone who collects Valiants can't see the validity behind slabbing USM or Origin smirk.gif

Think about it...

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

What if it is the BEST one? (Yes I know ...blasphemy...) to the older collectors they may be loyal to ASM but in 2000, ASM was NOT catering to any new blood AT ALL...those tired stories and villains (TYPEFACE anyone?) would never get anyone interested in Spidey...It was ULTIMATE SPIDER_MAN and the public's response that got Spider-man the Movie into the eyes of the Hollywood folks who made it into a blockbuster and new and old fans loved it...

So, in the future, when the 10 year olds of 2000 become the income generation 30 yr olds of 2020 and are still interested in collectibles, it will be USM, not ASM that they'll be looking to buy... IMHO.

Ironic how someone who collects Valiants can't see the validity behind slabbing USM or Origin smirk.gif

I don't collect ALL Valiants... I collect the RIGHT ones...and 95% aren't worth it.

How do you know which ones are the right ones? You look back with hindsight

and you buy them as back issues (usually for less than cover price).

If Valiant was re-booted tomorrow, I guarantee you I wouldn't buy a slabbed copy

of a one-month-old Valiant. I'm not even sure I'd pay cover price...

odds are they'll be on Ebay for less than cover as a "complete run lot" in no time.

Even today's "kids" with their Ultimate Spider-man books KNOW that

Amazing Fantasy #15 is "THE" Spider-man book.

Let's use Batman and Superman as "grandfather characters" and look...

Are the 1960's kids dreaming of re-acquiring the 1960's Batman issues?

OR are the 1960's kids fully aware that Detective Comics #27 and Action Comics #1

are the "Holy Grails" of their favorite characters?

It doesn't matter that 1960's kids have never seen Action Comics #1 in person...

they know what Superman books REALLY matter... and it's not the ones

they would have been able to purchase as kids.

Who's collecting Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-man? Kids of the 1970s?

Who's collecting Web of Spider-man? Kids of the 1980s?

Even if someone, somewhere is furiously collecting those books...

what are they paying? $35 each? I don't think so.

Ultimate Spider-man in 2020? Still just the 14th re-boot of Amazing Fantasy #15.

** and since it will then be popular to collect the 37th re-boot... "Ultimate" will be long gone.**

I don't collect ALL Valiants... I collect the RIGHT ones...and 95% aren't worth it.

How do you know which ones are the right ones? You look back with hindsight

and you buy them as back issues (usually for less than cover price).

My hindsight is telling me that the USM 1 red, df , white, 5, 7, 13, 17, 33-38 are worth picking up... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If Valiant was re-booted tomorrow, I guarantee you I wouldn't buy a slabbed copy of a one-month-old Valiant. I'm not even sure I'd pay cover price... odds are they'll be on Ebay for less than cover as a "complete run lot" in no time.

Odds are right now sets of USM are easier to complete bUT they will not be had for less than cover price...what does that have to do with what you collect? Or why USMs should not be slabbed? Or why Valiants should be slabbed instead of USM/Origin or Silver Age/Golden Age.

Even today's "kids" with their Ultimate Spider-man books KNOW that

Amazing Fantasy #15 is "THE" Spider-man book.

I don't think so...not everyone who reads comics, collects comics as well and just because they pick up a USM 1, there is nothing in there telling them that the REALLY IMPORTANT (in your POV) Spidey book is AF15? They'd probably be just as happy knowing that that is the first Spidey book with the way they like Spidey presented. Until some old fart who has issues tells them that "NO your USM 1 is a 14th reboot/worthless revamp and will never be worth ever..." book and that they should be really attempting to acquire a $100,000 book in NM AF15? Get real... smirk.gif

Why should we always look back for value? I doubt it... I started reading Spidey around hobGoblin time...I wanted Hobgoblin issues not AF15? That was the furthest thing from my mind? Why? Because 1) I've nver heard of it. I thought the run began at ASM 1? 2) When I did hear of AF15, I learned it was way beyond my price range and I'd never be able to afford it or justify spending that much cash on it when I had all my GI Joes/Transgormers/ Atari games to spend money on...

Let's use Batman and Superman as "grandfather characters" and look...

Are the 1960's kids dreaming of re-acquiring the 1960's Batman issues?

OR are the 1960's kids fully aware that Detective Comics #27 and Action Comics #1are the "Holy Grails" of their favorite characters? It doesn't matter that 1960's kids have never seen Action Comics #1 in person...they know what Superman books REALLY matter... and it's not the ones they would have been able to purchase as kids.

Probably because Golden Agers were harping on them telling them Silver Age books (then current books) were all worthless in comparison to their treasured moldie oldies. I have never EVER in my years of collecting wanted an ACTION comics 1, a 'TEc 27, or some such other key from another Age that is not RELATIVE to what I'm interested in or collect now.

Who's collecting Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-man? Kids of the 1970s?

Who's collecting Web of Spider-man? Kids of the 1980s?

I collected both because I grew up with both. I have my full runs of PPTSM and WEB and my 90's SPIDERMAN...

Even if someone, somewhere is furiously collecting those books...

what are they paying? $35 each? I don't think so.

This makes no sense in your argument. I would pay current market value or whatever someone is willing to let them go fo on eBay?

Ultimate Spider-man in 2020? Still just the 14th re-boot of Amazing Fantasy #15.** and since it will then be popular to collect the 37th re-boot... "Ultimate" will be long gone.**

Nice cute retort...but exactly that a CUTE potshot..

14th for you...1st for the newbie and BEST for most readers not entrenched in their archaic loyalty to archival material.

I hear Valiant collectors use this one: "The stories and art are great, pre-Unity and initially during Shooter's heyday, these books were worth collecting."

The same can be said for USM - Its been out since 10/2000 - if it is such a bad series, how has it gone 50 issues? Someone must like them enough to read them and keep picking up new issues and all the rest of the tie in crossover krap they throw out for folks to buy.

People I sell to pick up USM "fill in number" and automatically they ask if I have USM 1 and up ...not if I have AF15 or ASM 1 to sell them smirk.gif