• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you grade a very hi grade book with spine split?

21 posts in this topic

Hey gang. Let's say you had a book in the 9.0's (9.0, 9.2 range) but the book had a spine split. 1" - 1.5"

How would you grade it?

Let's say it was split from the top and bottom by the same amount. Everything else is great (staples, no wear etc)

1) 1 spine split

2) 2 spine splits

What say ye?

R.

I agree with that. I helped the 'Trooper get one of his mini-grails last year and it looked between 8.5 and 9.0 but with a 2" and a 1 1/4" spine split, it was graded out at 4.0 or so, maybe 4.5.

I agree with that. I helped the 'Trooper get one of his mini-grails last year and it looked between 8.5 and 9.0 but with a 2" and a 1 1/4" spine split, it was graded out at 4.0 or so, maybe 4.5.

"How would you grade a very hi grade book with spine split?"

YES! :insane:

MasterComics7.jpg

Sean is correct, about a 2" spine split on the bottom and 1 1/2" on top. Cost me about $400. Well worth it!

What did it grade?

R.

Hey gang. Let's say you had a book in the 9.0's (9.0, 9.2 range) but the book had a spine split. 1" - 1.5"

How would you grade it?

Let's say it was split from the top and bottom by the same amount. Everything else is great (staples, no wear etc)

1) 1 spine split

2) 2 spine splits

What say ye?

R.

Hey Roy, you sure do come up with some interesting questions.

Normally when I think of a split spine(top or bottom) I think of reading wear, spine stress and brittle paper. And even if the splits might be of equal length, I would downgrade more if it was due to the spine being threadbare as opposed to a HG book that was more torn then worn. Because if the cover is split or close to splitting, many times the interior is not far behind. :eek:

To me it is a huge flaw and drops the book considerably to VG/F if not worse depending on the book.

How would you grade it?

1) 1 spine split

2) 2 spine splits

What say ye?

R.

Hey Roy, you sure do come up with some interesting questions.

Normally when I think of a split spine(top or bottom) I think of reading wear, spine stress and brittle paper. And even if the splits might be of equal length, I would downgrade more if it was due to the spine being threadbare as opposed to a HG book that was more torn then worn. Because if the cover is split or close to splitting, many times the interior is not far behind. :eek:

To me it is a huge flaw and drops the book considerably to VG/F if not worse depending on the book.

I was thinking 4.5 or 5.0 at best. There was a Sub-mariner Comic #2 on Ebay last night. The book looked like a 9.0. It was stunning as far as eye appeal goes. The two spine splits (and some tanning) where the only flaws. I kept looking at the spine and could not understand why it would split unless it was becoming brittle. In any case I passed on bidding. It sure was a sweet looking copy though.

R.

The highest grade a book with a single 2" spine split can achieve is a 5.0, and that would be assuming it is a 9.4 or better to begin withe. A book that is a 9.0 with a 2" spine split would grade a 4.5, a 5.0 if you were extremely lucky. With two spine splits, you are definitely talking a 4.0/4.5.

This was going to be my point as well. I think it's unlikely that most GA books with these kinds of splits would be true 9.0/9.2 candidates without the splits, since however nice their appearance, books with these splits have likely been handled (however carefully), opened and read multiple times. Not saying impossible...just uncommon.

If a book really was a stunning 9.0/9.2 without the splits, then 4.5/5.0 range might be reasonable....but the majority of nice-looking books I see with these kinds of splits would fall into the 3.0 to 4.0 range.

I don't know if they would be that low. The OGG has an example of an otherwise 6.5 book with a 2" spine split. Grade with defect 5.0.

I don't know why a good looking book would drop to 3.0-4.0 because of a split.

I also know from first hand experience that a Q8.5 book with a 1.5" spine split can be resubmitted to CGC for a 5.0 Universal grade. Based on my experience with CGC and the OGG standards, up to a 2" spine split (or two 1" spine splits, etc.) are an acceptable flaw at 5.0 and below. Having that defect on any book automatically lowers it to a 5.0 at best. then depending on the other flaws, you go down from there. But if outside of the split, a book has so few defects to garner a 7.0 or up, it will easily be a 5.0 with the split. Now if the book is a 4.0 without the split, maybe it drops to a 3.5 or 3.0 with the split.

Fair enough, and appreciate the input. I was actually thinking of the double-split scenario discussed on Paratrooper's book (a 2" split and a 1.5" split). But, point taken.

I don't know if they would be that low. The OGG has an example of an otherwise 6.5 book with a 2" spine split. Grade with defect 5.0.

I don't know why a good looking book would drop to 3.0-4.0 because of a split.

I also know from first hand experience that a Q8.5 book with a 1.5" spine split can be resubmitted to CGC for a 5.0 Universal grade. Based on my experience with CGC and the OGG standards, up to a 2" spine split (or two 1" spine splits, etc.) are an acceptable flaw at 5.0 and below. Having that defect on any book automatically lowers it to a 5.0 at best. then depending on the other flaws, you go down from there. But if outside of the split, a book has so few defects to garner a 7.0 or up, it will easily be a 5.0 with the split. Now if the book is a 4.0 without the split, maybe it drops to a 3.5 or 3.0 with the split.

Again I agree. I think solid 5.0 as long as there is no brittleness.

BTW, there is a little water stain on the back cover bottom spine so the book is not a 9.0 in appearance but still a pretty hot looking book.

Here's a link to the auction.

Well that is a nice book isn't it!

I think this falls more under the torn then worn catagory. The split, or tear up top does not match up with how the staples sit in the book, if there is a hinge or wear crease from reading and opening the book I dont think it is what caused this split, it looks like a tear. There also looks to be lateral tears as well where it resited along the way being torn open. (just guessing)

The spine appears to be in fantastic condition from what I can tell from the photos,(or am I completely missing something?) Seems like a perfect book to get mended, but unfortunatly most everyone would frown at the book once done. :(

Thoughts?

'Troop,

I am posting your scan of the book because it is gorgeous and would show these guys something. It is not brittle in the slightest. I paged through it :o before I sent it off. It is a book that is really something to behold in hand. You can see the spine split on the top, but not the bottom. It is there. The spine stresses are uber-emphasized in the scan. It is a hot book in hand that I bet would get a 4.5.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=15&Number=1988645&Searchpage=1&Main=74159&Words=seanh&topic=0&Search=true#Post1988645

You're making me regret not bidding on the book.

:(

And I still say 5.0

;)

You should have bought the book :baiting:

Even if it grades 4.5/5,0, it would have OW/W pages and be the best looking copy for the given grade. hm

GE