• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storage: Mylites...Inside a Polybag?

10 posts in this topic

I have been collecting for about 20 years now, and have a bunch of books that have to be freshly rebagged and boarded.

A lot of my silver and bronze age stuff have been in their bags for almost 10 years. I have always used high quality polypropolyne bags with decent boards, and looking at them, they are still as clear as the day I bought them.

I know that you can't always see deterioration. What I was wondering was if anyone else puts their books in mylites (without a board), then back into a polypro bag with a board. This way, the comic is exposed only to the inert mylar material, and has the extra protection of the board and second bag. It is also more economical, as one mylite, one polypro bag and one regular board is still way cheaper than the most inexpensive mylar sleeve.

What do you think?

It is also more economical, as one mylite, one polypro bag and one regular board is still way cheaper than the most inexpensive mylar sleeve.

Why do that as opposed to a mylite and buffered board?

Why do that as opposed to a mylite and buffered board?

Also, a buffered board is always much more expensive that a good quality regular board. Since the board is never touching the actual comic, it's not an issue.

I think this is how I'll be going about finishing off the rebagging and boarding. Thanks!

What your doing basically is analagous to putting a comic in a mylite with a buffered board then putting it into a regular cardboard longbox. Its generally considered 'not good' because even though the materials immediately surrounding the comic wont break down other materials near the book are breaking down and invariably hastening the aging process.

Also, a buffered board is always much more expensive that a good quality regular board. Since the board is never touching the actual comic, it's not an issue.

It's definitely less of an issue than if it were in there with the comic. I think you're wrong about the buffered boards being more expensive...the ones from E. Gerber are $8 for 100 or less if you buy a bunch at once, the ones with the alkaline spray aren't significantly cheaper.

Being from the Great White North complicates prices a little...

$8.00 USD plus shipping to Canada comes out to be quite a bit for (heavy) boards (even in larger, cheaper quantity shipping increases exponentially).

Here, I can get decent boards in quantity for $4-$5 CAD per hundred, no shipping.

My books really don't seem affected by my storage up to now. If I completely isolate the comic (in a mylite) from degradable substances (the polybag and regular board), wouldn't the book be pretty much immune to degradation caused by the non-inert materials?

My books really don't seem affected by my storage up to now. If I completely isolate the comic (in a mylite) from degradable substances (the polybag and regular board), wouldn't the book be pretty much immune to degradation caused by the non-inert materials?

Maybe...I guess you'll find out in a few decades!