• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big News: AMAZING FANTASY 15 Original Art Surfaces!

104 posts in this topic

My guess is the donor was elderly and felt the art should be enjoyed by all instead of a sole individual locking it away. In that sense, we *all* win.

:)

I agree....we all benefit. I think this is a great move by the donor. Now it will never more be locked away in someone's collection never to be seen. Now we can all go see AF #15! It'd be nice if all the 1st issues were donated in the same fashion.

If it was given to a museum or other private institution there would be the chance the museum would sell it in the future to raise funds.

I am curious about the motivations of the donor though. Why would they give up the potentially huge tax write off?!?!?!?

We all saw what happens to great artifacts when they are given to the government....

Raiders_Of_The_Lost_Ark_Government_Warehouse_new.jpg

I am curious about the motivations of the donor though. Why would they give up the potentially huge tax write off?!?!?!?

Perhaps the mystery donor did not actually receive the art as a gift, as the article (ie, Ditko) says... :devil:

So donatign to the national Archives is not a benefit?

No tax breaks?

According to the blog it was donated without an appraisal so there was not $ value given. I'm not sure if the donor can take a tax deduction with no value to the donation.

The article mentions 8 pages, I just checked and the Spider-man story of AF#15 has 11 pages hm

There have been rumors that pages are in the hands of a collector. Who knows, maybe that rumor is true. Guess we'll have to wait until it goes on display to find out if that's just a reporting error or whether they did not receive the whole story! hm

Sara hopes that the Library's collection of comic book art will continue to grow with similar donations since they can't afford to buy them.

It's nice to know that even the government can't afford Original Art. lol

Seriously though, awesome move by the donor. Hope to be able to see these pages some day.

Hello True Believers -

I hope you all enjoyed my recent anonymous submisison to the Library of Congress. Frankly after reading this thread I was surprised nobody guessed sooner that I am in fact - "Benefactor X". I stand upon my Soap Box at the twilight of my life as a truly blessed human. Before I leave this jewelled planet, and take my place among the Gods , I wanted to make sure future generations could gaze at the artwork that I created (with an honorable mention to Stevey Ditko) so long ago in my youth.

As loyal tried and true Marvel fanboys you can hopefully all appreciate why i needed to donate this to the Library anonymously and without appraisal or tax benefit. My good buddy Steve would have been upset to know I have had his art for all these years. But Marvel Comics was my company anyways so I am entitled to have done with MY art as I pleased.

Excelsior !

Stan