• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big News: AMAZING FANTASY 15 Original Art Surfaces!

104 posts in this topic

Just saw this posted on the Comicart-L from Jim Ottaviani:

http://comicsdc.blogspot.com/2008/04/spider-man-1-original-artwork-given-to.html

Wow! One of the biggest OA grails is unearthed. Unbelievable news. Too bad for Krazy Matt that he's been such a person_without_enough_empathy...this is his dream of a thread! lol

What the hell? Is that for real?

Who would donate art to the government?

Christ, at least donate it to a charity museum or something, if you aren't going to sell it and build a house made out of Vagas Show-Girls, at least have the decency to get yourself a massive tax write off.

At least I can make an appointment to see the art...that would be worth the trip all by itself.

C

http://comicsdc.blogspot.com/2008/04/spider-man-1-original-artwork-given-to.html

Wow! One of the biggest OA grails is unearthed. Unbelievable news. Too bad for Krazy Matt that he's been such a person_without_enough_empathy...this is his dream of a thread! lol

Truly excellent that the public gets to see - as Indiana Jones is apt to say

"IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM"

What the hell? Is that for real?

Who would donate art to the government?

Christ, at least donate it to a charity museum or something, if you aren't going to sell it and build a house made out of Vagas Show-Girls, at least have the decency to get yourself a massive tax write off.

At least I can make an appointment to see the art...that would be worth the trip all by itself.

C

Take some pics :busy:

It's funny because there was an urban legend that someone saw a page from AF #15 years ago at a con where the owner tried to trade the page for artwork by Kirby - from Kirby -- who told the guy, "Why would I trade YOU for Ditko art when I can ask him to give me some myself?!?"

So either the guy who donated the entire book is the same guy or the urban legend is just that...either way, I'm curious to know who GAVE this guy the complete book as a gift?!? Even in 1962 -- that was a GREAT gift!!

"KRAZYKAT said...

THE PAGES ARE WORTH MILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON THE LOW END - PRICELESS ON THE HIGH END. CANT WAIT TO SEE PICTURES!!!

12:35 PM"

That didn't take long...he's actually become a caricature of himself -- it's hilarious!

That is a short drive for me to go see how it all started. Really cool that it is donated to the public and will not be hoarded by someone to never see the light of day.

"KRAZYKAT said...

THE PAGES ARE WORTH MILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON THE LOW END - PRICELESS ON THE HIGH END. CANT WAIT TO SEE PICTURES!!!

12:35 PM"

That didn't take long...he's actually become a caricature of himself -- it's hilarious!

See I would have thought this gift is krazy kat's nightmare not dream. If these were auctioned instead of gifted the national and international new coverage would be enormous. Those pages in this market really could attract wealthy new collectors and revalue the market upward.

My guess is the donor was elderly and felt the art should be enjoyed by all instead of a sole individual locking it away. In that sense, we *all* win.

:)

I think this is real nice news

I wont even speculate what they are probably worth although I am sure the board will chime in - in short order

medium_dr_evil_1.jpg

One-Hundred-Ninety-One Billion dollars

My guess is the donor was elderly and felt the art should be enjoyed by all instead of a sole individual locking it away. In that sense, we *all* win.

I think this is real nice news

I wont even speculate what they are probably worth although I am sure the board will chime in - in short order

medium_dr_evil_1.jpg

One-Hundred-Ninety-One Billion dollars

:whatthe: !!!???

That's

krazykat1.jpg

I agree....we all benefit. I think this is a great move by the donor. Now it will never more be locked away in someone's collection never to be seen. Now we can all go see AF #15! It'd be nice if all the 1st issues were donated in the same fashion.

If it was given to a museum or other private institution there would be the chance the museum would sell it in the future to raise funds.

I am curious about the motivations of the donor though. Why would they give up the potentially huge tax write off?!?!?!?