• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big News: AMAZING FANTASY 15 Original Art Surfaces!

104 posts in this topic

Oh, I see......well, at least we can count on him making an appearance every now and then.....

Every now and then? The guy never stops :pullhair:

The guy has no shame.

Despie the hysterics he displayed a while back, when he proved he really was crazy, he's back acting like everything's forgotten.

He really must lead a sad life.

Maybe we should pity him . . . (shrug)

Just talking about him gives him the attention he craves.

Just ignore him, don't talk about him, or interact with him, and he may end up like the Impossible Man and just go away... :wishluck:

(though, fat chance).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. So, doesn't it seem strange that somebody would forgo a high 6-figure write off and do it all anonymously? Was Steve Ditko really "consulted" about whether it was ok to give it away and gave his blessing?

I'd like to think this was a pure case of charity but can't help but feel it was done this way to (A) avoid having to explain how the art was attained; (B) avoid anyone knowing who had possession of this for the past few decades; and © absolve some guilt.

hm(shrug):juggle::popcorn:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. So, doesn't it seem strange that somebody would forgo a high 6-figure write off and do it all anonymously? Was Steve Ditko really "consulted" about whether it was ok to give it away and gave his blessing?

I'd like to think this was a pure case of charity but can't help but feel it was done this way to (A) avoid having to explain how the art was attained; (B) avoid anyone knowing who had possession of this for the past few decades; and © absolve some guilt.

Must admit, I was thinking along those lines myself.

So far we have one source for this story, and it's a blog? No Newsarama, no Scoop? Call me skeptical.

A couple members of Comic Art L spoke to the author and the confirmation came straight from the Sarah Duke, the curator.

Once word of that came out was when people started to take it seriously.

C

So far we have one source for this story, and it's a blog? No Newsarama, no Scoop? Call me skeptical.

According to the comicart-L list on yahoo, one of the more credible members knows a curator at the institution who confirmed it. But you're right, I haven't seen any mention in a credible news source that has discussed this -- more details would be nice.

Maybe they're all too busy covering the $1.1 million Action 1 on ebay and preparing their reviews of the Iron Man movie... lol

Hmmmmm, actually, I was thinking it was a longtime staffer who had already made a bundle off previous Ditko and other art sales that were indeed gifts. To the best of my limited knowledge the AF15 book was never lifted from the Marvel Warehouse. Also, Ditko's wording of 'do what you want with it as it was gifted to you' or words to that effect sound spot on as being from him, and I see this more as a case of this particular piece of art just having too much historical importance to profit from in the donor's eyes.... especially given the profits already taken from previous gifts. That may have caused a tad bit of undeserved guilt that helped with the decision. I also see this person as being a bit naive as regards financial affairs, but keep in mind this person would be most likely an artist and on the older side of life being a contemporary of Ditko, et al, and perhaps not as savvy regarding tax consequences (that's just an opinion). All in all, it seems a great gift to the American People of a truly iconic story. Can't wait to visit D.C. with my kids for the first time when they are a bit older and see the look on their faces after seeing the Lincoln Memorial, the Declaration of Independence and the 1st Appearance of Spidey all in one trip...DF

Just ignore him, don't talk about him, or interact with him, and he may end up like the Impossible Man and just go away... :wishluck:

(though, fat chance).

Dan, I 100% hope that it went down the way you surmise. Certainly is the more positive story! (thumbs u

So you think maybe this was someone who helped Ditko or the Bullpen out from time to time? hm

The OA to AF15 would be quite a gift to a contemporary given its historical significance. And indeed it's a great gift to the American People.

--Steve

Hmmmmm, actually, I was thinking it was a longtime staffer who had already made a bundle off previous Ditko and other art sales that were indeed gifts. To the best of my limited knowledge the AF15 book was never lifted from the Marvel Warehouse. Also, Ditko's wording of 'do what you want with it as it was gifted to you' or words to that effect sound spot on as being from him, and I see this more as a case of this particular piece of art just having too much historical importance to profit from in the donor's eyes.... especially given the profits already taken from previous gifts. That may have caused a tad bit of undeserved guilt that helped with the decision. I also see this person as being a bit naive as regards financial affairs, but keep in mind this person would be most likely an artist and on the older side of life being a contemporary of Ditko, et al, and perhaps not as savvy regarding tax consequences (that's just an opinion). All in all, it seems a great gift to the American People of a truly iconic story. Can't wait to visit D.C. with my kids for the first time when they are a bit older and see the look on their faces after seeing the Lincoln Memorial, the Declaration of Independence and the 1st Appearance of Spidey all in one trip...DF

(though, fat chance).

For those of you who didn't see it on the Comicart-L here is the email from the LOC curator:

"There were 24 pages donated: Amazing Fantasy #15 comic book; The

Bell-Ringer, Man in the Mummy Case, There are Martians among us! The

pages that were donated represent all of Steve Ditko's work for

Amazing Fantasy #15, so besides the origin story there are two other,

unrelated short stories.

I guarantee you that these are not stats! I have 17 years of

experience in determine media for works of art. It was in a private

collection, the collector contacted me out of the blue and asked me if

I wanted them for the Library's Collection. That person decided that

since the Library of Congress has been around for over 200 years that

the drawings would be available to researchers.

The origin story is intact. Every page is there. The person who

donated it (and wants to remain anonymous) contacted Ditko to see if

he wanted it back. He said he did not. The person who donated it did

not want to profit from the donation in any way, so it is truly

anonymous - and what we here at the Library of Congress call "A gift

to the Nation."

Because the art is unprocessed - meaning no catalog records have been

made, researchers must make an appointment to see it. I need to

arrange for conservation work to be done before I can fully catalog it

and make it available to researchers online. Because the art is very

much under copyright, the Library will have to take great pains when

we decide how to make "surrogates" available to the public.

Researchers who wish to see it should make an appointment with me (I

take a couple of holidays a year, but otherwise try to work 5 days a

week as much as possible) or Martha Kennedy. They should read this

page: http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/info/022_unpr.html, and fill out the

form from the link provided. The accession to request is: PR 13 CN

2008:043."

Defining conservation, she stated:

"Rubber cement reduction, re-adhering loose pieces - normal stuff for

my cartoon conservation team. They don't do anything they can't undo,

but they do stabilize materials. The art is generally in excellent

condition. It didn't hang on the donor's walls for decades, that is

clear. It was well cared for."

Dan's assessment rings true.

As legend would have it ........ a lot of Ditko's covers were in the hands of a person he knew at Marvel. This individual would periodically sell off the art but always checking with Ditko first. Ditko always gave his blessing ..... well .... more of a I don't care what you do with it attitude. Ditko certainly never asked for or received a share of any of the proceeds from the art. I suspect the donor is the same individual.

Profit or tax benefits certainly was not a consideration. The donor clearly knew what it was worth and wished to remain anonymous. It was more of historical significance and at the end of the day, was the right decision. This art belongs in a museum. Perhaps Ditko will finally be appreciated outside of comic fandom for his contributions to the industry.

I can't wait for it to be on display. :banana:

Cheers!

N

Hello True Believers -

I hope you all enjoyed my recent anonymous submisison to the Library of Congress. Frankly after reading this thread I was surprised nobody guessed sooner that I am in fact - "Benefactor X". I stand upon my Soap Box at the twilight of my life as a truly blessed human. Before I leave this jewelled planet, and take my place among the Gods , I wanted to make sure future generations could gaze at the artwork that I created (with an honorable mention to Stevey Ditko) so long ago in my youth.

As loyal tried and true Marvel fanboys you can hopefully all appreciate why i needed to donate this to the Library anonymously and without appraisal or tax benefit. My good buddy Steve would have been upset to know I have had his art for all these years. But Marvel Comics was my company anyways so I am entitled to have done with MY art as I pleased.

Excelsior !

Stan

Ha, this is exactly what I thought. It has to be someone up there in years that doesn't need the money or the tax writeoff. Who better than Stan himself to donate it? This is almost as big a mystery in itself as to who donated it as it was a mystery knowing if this art existed or not and where it was.

In my opinion (for what is worth) it wasn't Stan who donated it. Considering how Marvel was bad at paying royalties to him over the whole Spider-Man film series and how he had to procede through legal means to get some (better, more representative) compensation, I am doubting he is the donor. I believe his attitude now, considering his age, is towards building up his asset base and passing it along to his children (2 daughters I think?) Stan is what 80 some years old now? and is finally getting what, 1mm a year before tax in compensation? In a 60 minutes interview awhile back, you could tell that he was disappointed in his levels of compensation considering he has been the face of Marvel for years.

In my opinion, if he was the sole possessor for years, he would have passed it on to his children, or at worst, put the pages on display with the tagline, property of Stan Lee and Family.

Also, given the relations between Ditko and Stan, being lukewarm at best, I am thinking the donor is another party...

Just my opinion...