• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big News: AMAZING FANTASY 15 Original Art Surfaces!

104 posts in this topic

Rumors persist that ASM #1 and FF #1 exist and are complete. I'm sure that many of us, myself included, hope to be able to see that art in person one day. When I heard that AF #15 was complete and available to view, a buddy of mine and I made immediate plans to drive down to DC and see it. It was incredible to see in person and highly recommend viewing not only this book, but some of the other fantastic works of original art that exists in their collection (available to research online).

My guess is the donor was elderly and felt the art should be enjoyed by all instead of a sole individual locking it away. In that sense, we *all* win.

:)

I think this is real nice news

I wont even speculate what they are probably worth although I am sure the board will chime in - in short order

To me this is the Mona Lisa.A gift beyound measure.My favorite book,character,and artist all in one.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. So, doesn't it seem strange that somebody would forgo a high 6-figure write off and do it all anonymously? Was Steve Ditko really "consulted" about whether it was ok to give it away and gave his blessing?

I'd like to think this was a pure case of charity but can't help but feel it was done this way to (A) avoid having to explain how the art was attained; (B) avoid anyone knowing who had possession of this for the past few decades; and © absolve some guilt.

hm(shrug):juggle::popcorn:

Must admit, I was thinking along those lines myself.

Wasnt a lot of the early marvel artwork stolen from storage?Seems I read that someplace.