• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Today is one of the greatest days because...

41 posts in this topic

James, congratulations! :applause:

Now that you have paid off all that debt you can use your credit to buy lots of expensive comics! :baiting::kidaround:

Seriously thought, eliminating debt should be every person's goal and you're right to focus on it while you're young. It won't get any easier to build good financial habits as you get older if you don't start now.

Our society is so focused on buying "stuff" and having all the latest and greatest that the level of personal debt on average is SICK. That's why there's been such a foreclosure level -- too many people getting credit leveraged against overinflated home values. Now the home values have dropped and people are overextended on credit because they had to have a new car, giant plasma screen, etc.

I have eliminated CC debt (we NEVER carry a balance), paid off the vehicles, but still working on the mortgage -- that'll be a while. meh Have made lots of improvements to the "charming older (1920s) home" we live in.

NOTE TO ALL: "charming older home" = Money Pit. doh!lol

You only have house debt if you consider the house 100% yours. Or if your loan is under water after buying that condo in Miami last year.....

:applause:

As of 5 minutes ago I became 100% debt free! :banana:

Congrats dood, and it's the only way to live - imagine me if I had a huge debt over my head. :o

You'd be like all the other wage slaves who are too busy making ends meet to spend half your day here. ;)

Congrats. Let's see: no debt, big promotion, hot girlfriends all over the place.

I'd say life is good.

No kidding - need an apprentice?

James, congratulations! :applause:

Now that you have paid off all that debt you can use your credit to buy lots of expensive comics! :baiting::kidaround:

Seriously thought, eliminating debt should be every person's goal and you're right to focus on it while you're young. It won't get any easier to build good financial habits as you get older if you don't start now.

Our society is so focused on buying "stuff" and having all the latest and greatest that the level of personal debt on average is SICK. That's why there's been such a foreclosure level -- too many people getting credit leveraged against overinflated home values. Now the home values have dropped and people are overextended on credit because they had to have a new car, giant plasma screen, etc.

I have eliminated CC debt (we NEVER carry a balance), paid off the vehicles, but still working on the mortgage -- that'll be a while. meh Have made lots of improvements to the "charming older (1920s) home" we live in.

NOTE TO ALL: "charming older home" = Money Pit. doh!lol

Well unfortunately I always had a problem with credit cards. I decided to shred them all and close out the accounts. I will never own a credit card again. It's all cash and my debit card from now on.

Congrats. Let's see: no debt, big promotion, hot girlfriends all over the place.

I'd say life is good.

Sure who's offering? Seriously though it's nothing that all of you couldn't do. Just get a written budget and knock out small debt to next smallest debt and so on. And don't have any credit cards either. I don't make a ton of money like some people here, but I live below my means. As a wise man once said, "Live now like no one else, so later you can live like no one else." :)

As of 5 minutes ago I became 100% debt free! :banana: It took a lot of sacrifice and discipline, but I don't owe money to a single soul in the world! Yeah, yeah, I know this has nothing to do with comics, but hey I had to let someone know. :grin:

Debt free is something to be proud of, especially after divorces. Luckily I've not encountered that bump in the romantic road. :golfclap:

I'm NET debt free, way up on investments but holding a little CC/line of credit debt.

I only got there after unloading relationships that became more about take and emotional blackmail than mutual contribution and positive goals that are not centered around material gains.

From now on when it comes to people I'm sticking to those on the positive side of the ledger and I'm not talking about finance.

I'd say life is good.

Sure who's offering? Seriously though it's nothing that all of you couldn't do. Just get a written budget and knock out small debt to next smallest debt and so on. And don't have any credit cards either. I don't make a ton of money like some people here, but I live below my means. As a wise man once said, "Live now like no one else, so later you can live like no one else." :)

What? I don't do the "B" word. I wouldn't be where I am today if I bought in to that strategy. And I don't really have any debt to speak of....., except to those legbreakers..., drbanner and foolkiller :eek: .

:sumo: We don't need no steenkin' budgets :sumo:

I'd say life is good.

Dave Ramsey rocks!

ive been listening to him for several years now and i give his advice allthe credit for helping Anna and I get into the current financial state we are now!

Reducing or eliminating your debt is a great first step on the road to financial security. (thumbs u

Second step is to have enough saved for retirement...

Hmm, let's tote up. $25K or so left on the mortage, whatever I owe on this month's credit cards (mostly gas and groceries, plus some prepays for this year's vacation hotels) plus... umm...why, I believe that's it!

Not quite debt free, but if Cat and I were to hunker down and dig, we could pay off the mortgage in two years or a bit more without touching savings, but we wouldn't have much fun in the mean time....not quite sure it's worth the sacrifice when our monthly nut, with mortage, insurance, taxes and utilities averages less than $600.

Hooah, it's good to have solid construction and remodeling chops! Bought this dog for under $35K, have maybe another year's worth of remodeling touchups, and when we're done, even in this economy it should be worth $100-125K on the hoof.

At the advanced age of 53 we MAY have one more house in us, but nothing quite this extensive, and perhaps a bit more modern than 1920's construction, beautiful though the oak trim may be.....