• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spirit 1940's Sunday Comics Collection

35 posts in this topic

Having the ability to read and appreciate Eisner, Lou Fine, and Jack Cole in all their glory is worth whatever price you paid.
:applause:

Some really amazing sections there. I only recently read some of these and I must say they are really very cool. Lots to like in those little sections.

Thanks for posting.

I have a few points/questions to ask:

1) Eisner penciled all these right? But who was inking in his studio? Because some have a scratch reality, others are more comicbooky lines w/o that special tightness Eisner's iconic work always has. Also, DID he pencil them all up thru 1943 or so? Some look too ordinary though most retain Eisners disctinctive flourishes

2) Has there ever neem anyone CLOSE to Eisners fluidity and creativity in splash page/cover design ??? Id love to see every SPIRIT logo all together to grasp the wide range of different ways he used the 6 letters.!

3) each Sunday section says "Read the weekday Spirit strip!" Have these ever been collected? Are they of the same quality as the Sunday Sections?

thanx

Has there ever neem anyone CLOSE to Eisners fluidity and creativity in splash page/cover design ??? Id love to see every SPIRIT logo all together to grasp the wide range of different ways he used the 6 letters.

Jack Cole would be a close second for splashes which is why Busy Arnold had him doing Midnight, a clear imitation of the spirit.

Bill Everett's approach to title logo's is varied and impressive.

Just found this photo. I really wonder where this type of image appeared for the very first time? Movies? Poster? Spirit 22?

With the Eisner

lady.jpg

3102393963_5d11abde9f_o.jpg

She reminds me of Jane Greer who costared with Robert Mitchum in "Out of the Past". She played a villian like Mary Astor in "The Maltese Falcon".