• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Up With All the HG 1950s SA?

104 posts in this topic

It's been a common held belief among collectors that 1950s SAs are among the toughest books to find in high grade (in my mind, meaning VF/NM or higher). Is this now turning out to just be an old wives' tale, and it turns out all the mythical collections that naysayers said would eventually emerge from the woodworks, really do exist?

Between the Toronto collection in the last Heritage auction, and now the plethora of HG to ultra-HG David Toth books in the current Heritage auction, plus a bunch of HG/ultra-HG books from this period appearing in the current Comiclink auction, I'm not sure what to think anymore. This, of course, is on top of previously discovered collections like the Newsboys that surfaced some incredibly nice early Showcases.

Quite frankly, I'm just stunned by the amount of 9.4 and higher books from this period that are suddenly on the market.

It's been a common held belief among collectors that 1950s SAs are among the toughest books to find in high grade (in my mind, meaning VF/NM or higher). Is this now turning out to just be an old wives' tale, and it turns out all the mythical collections that naysayers said would eventually emerge from the woodworks, really do exist?

Between the Toronto collection in the last Heritage auction, and now the plethora of HG to ultra-HG David Toth books in the current Heritage auction, plus a bunch of HG/ultra-HG books from this period appearing in the current Comiclink auction, I'm not sure what to think anymore. This, of course, is on top of previously discovered collections like the Newsboys that surfaced some incredibly nice early Showcases.

Quite frankly, I'm just stunned by the amount of 9.4 and higher books from this period that are suddenly on the market.

I find it interesting to see the high prices realized for so many of these mid run non key issues.I always thought the 50'sproduced some of the best material ever.It's obvious I'm not alone.I'm still waiting to see the high grade Phantom Strangers and Venus copies.I would also like to see an 8.5 or better Superman 106.The D.C. material was always perceived to be cheap and maybe this robust market lately is flushing the good stuff out.I don't think this stuff will ever be common but I don't believe it is rare below 9.0.I'm exited about all the high grade stuff surfacing...it's more entertaining to follow than many of my other pastimes.I just hope I can manage a high bid on at least one item before they are all absorbed into the market.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was wondering the same thing. Is the Toth Collection a one in a million or are there many more out there?

I suspect we will see a few more collections like this, but probably not enough to flood the market.

I was wondering the same thing. Is the Toth Collection a one in a million or are there many more out there?

I suspect we will see a few more collections like this, but probably not enough to flood the market.

However, since there are less than 10 high-grade SA DC collectors compared to 50,000 SA Marvel collectors :insane:...who knows

The upcoming auctions are possibly a case of too much of a good thing? SA DC collectors are used to only having a handful of books come up in HG at one time. Now faced with hundreds all at once it will make bidding choices very difficult.

The upcoming auctions are possibly a case of too much of a good thing? SA DC collectors are used to only having a handful of books come up in HG at one time. Now faced with hundreds all at once it will make bidding choices very difficult.

I'm looking to pick up some of the scraps that are left over... :whistle:

I'm looking to pick up some of the scraps that are left over... :whistle:

that makes two of us.

If this is true link , then isn't anything possible?

i still feel, even with all the quality DC material uncovered, that it is still generally less available than Marvel material. I'm actually quite pleased there's been such a nice addition of high grade DCs. Gives me far more to choose from!

i still feel, even with all the quality DC material uncovered, that it is still generally less available than Marvel material.

Sure, there's still no comparison between the two.

I'm actually quite pleased there's been such a nice addition of high grade DCs. Gives me far more to choose from!

Too much ultra-HG pre-1963 DC supply coming to market right now. Someone going hard after all the really nice SA DC books on Heritage and CL could easily end up splashing out $200-250K, which is kind of amazing when you realize there are only a few HG mega-keys in the auctions.

As the saying goes, the underbidder is just as important as the winning bidder, and you could have some weird results of some books going for insane prices as all of the hardcore bidders go hard after the same books, and other books going for relative peanuts as the same bidders only put in tepid bids because they have to prioritize somewhat. Of course, if there are at least 2 bidders who are ready to spend $200-250K, then we could see insanity across the board.

I'm definitely going to be prioritizing. My days of spending over $100K on books in a year are done.

Which puts me (and others in my position in a bind). There are 4 things that could happen to me:

1. I could bid really hard on everything I want and win everything, leaving myself with a huge bill (okay, it won't be as high as my earlier estimate because fortunately I don't need to bid on the B&B 28).

2. I could win nothing.

3. I could end up going hard after only a select group of books, but those would be the same books others are after, and therefore I'll way overpay for any wins. Simultaneously, I could pass up on other books that normally I would be very interested in but can't afford to win this time around, and see those go for screaming bargains because everyone else did the same thing.

4. I could go hard for what I think are the lesser books, and win those, and see all the trophy books go for less than I thought they would go for for any number of reasons (I wasn't there underbidding, the great crash is finally here, etc.etc.).

I'm definitely going to be prioritizing. My days of spending over $100K on books in a year are done.

Which puts me (and others in my position in a bind). There are 4 things that could happen to me:

1. I could bid really hard on everything I want and win everything, leaving myself with a huge bill (okay, it won't be as high as my earlier estimate because fortunately I don't need to bid on the B&B 28).

2. I could win nothing.

3. I could end up going hard after only a select group of books, but those would be the same books others are after, and therefore I'll way overpay for any wins. Simultaneously, I could pass up on other books that normally I would be very interested in but can't afford to win this time around, and see those go for screaming bargains because everyone else did the same thing.

4. I could go hard for what I think are the lesser books, and win those, and see all the trophy books go for less than I thought they would go for for any number of reasons (I wasn't there underbidding, the great crash is finally here, etc.etc.).

This is seeming to cause you a lot of stress. Maybe we can persuade Mr. Toth to withdraw and then burn his books. hm

but he's right. the strategizing at these auctions when runs of books we have always wanted all appear at once makes hulks head hurt. Its a game of chicken: what to go for, trying to outguess what others will go for.

but I think the Supermans and Actions will go to the same bidder as before, so those we dont have to worry about.

The whole auction is a bit of a lottery, really. Some books will go for very high prices yet there may well be a few bargains around. Or possibly not. I suspect there are some rabid DC collectors out there scheming away how to acquire what they want and there will be battles on the auction floor.

When I first saw these books I could feel the old gnawing "must have them" emotions rising. My mind spinning. How can I raise the money? Sell myself for research? The fact is that I already pretty much have all these books on a sliding scale to Roth. All my 8 and 8.5s seem to be his 9s. All my 9s seem to be his 9.2/9.4s and so on. I compared scans, book for book with my own copies, as a way of deciding whether or not to pursue any at auction. More than anything, it made me appreciate the copies I have. I think I have finally reached a state of some harmony with my collection. Basically, my copies are good enough for me.

So to those of you who bid and fail on these auctions remember this - there WILL be another copy for you at some stage, probably at much better value!

The whole auction is a bit of a lottery, really. Some books will go for very high prices yet there may well be a few bargains around. Or possibly not. I suspect there are some rabid DC collectors out there scheming away how to acquire what they want and there will be battles on the auction floor.

When I first saw these books I could feel the old gnawing "must have them" emotions rising. My mind spinning. How can I raise the money? Sell myself for research? The fact is that I already pretty much have all these books on a sliding scale to Roth. All my 8 and 8.5s seem to be his 9s. All my 9s seem to be his 9.2/9.4s and so on. I compared scans, book for book with my own copies, as a way of deciding whether or not to pursue any at auction. More than anything, it made me appreciate the copies I have. I think I have finally reached a state of some harmony with my collection. Basically, my copies are good enough for me.

So to those of you who bid and fail on these auctions remember this - there WILL be another copy for you at some stage, probably at much better value!

Yes, I totally agree... which is why I will be sitting this out as I expect the prices to reach insane heights.