• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade - Halloween Edition

48 posts in this topic

What are the defects? What's going on above "there's" in the title, and is that a crease/bend on the bottom of the cover that goes thru the right side of the guys sleeve about 1/2" from the bottom edge? Assuming these noted defects are on the case/well and there are no other defects not visible in the scan...I'll say 9.4. Cracked open and wonderbreaded along the spine on the back cover and you'd have yourself a nice 9.6! thumbsup2.gif

Those European judges are always in on the fix - er, I mean "in the know." So I'm going with 9.4 as well. That's one sweet cover!

Oi !!! shocked.gif

I mean....carry on (nudge nudge wink wink)

nudgenudge.jpg

Coming Soon.....The Frightening Answer!!! (Lantern will post the label) shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Watch in horror as CGC B.itch slaps me back to reality!

Marvel at the Forum's Collective lack of grading knowledge!

See why, while I usually never complain about my grades, why I did on this one!!!

THE HORROR! THE HORROR!

298096-hos103c.jpg

Chris

I've looked at the book over and over, compared with others, and just can't figure this one out for the life of me.

Called CGC and graders notes were:

"Spine stress, non color-breaking" and "Dent on front cover, non color-breaking".

Should I go for a Re-Sub????

Chris

Should I go for a Re-Sub????

That might not be a bad idea....from what you say it seems like they graded this book in accordance to "modern" grading standards...perhaps you could call Steve and see what his opinion on this is.... gossip.gif

Is the "dent" the defect on the guy's sleeve as I noted? If not, can you tell where it is?

I still have the original scans from the book. So, here is a close up of the dent in question. It is to the viewers right of the burning fingers. That little spot is a tiny dent.

I saw this book soon after Chris bought it and before it was slabbed. I felt for sure that it was at least a 9.4. We both looked at it very closely and neither one of us "saw" that dent. In fact, it was after we had scanned the book that we found for sure where it was.

299602-hos103dent.jpg

299602-hos103dent.jpg.baa5256db3177749e217626e76a36d0b.jpg

Dosen't really suprise me, I have a couple absolutely beautiful books that rated 8.5 (tiny stress lines similar to what your book has) and 8.0 (color breaking abrasion on the edge of the spine) both of which are otherwise perfect. These sorts of books are great if you pick them up already slabbed, but not fun when when you submit them and they come back low.

I used a freebie submission, so it's not that big a deal. Although, I will say that I think it's under-graded. What Lantern said is true (about not seeing anything until we blew it up on scanner).

I picked this book up in Philly (after hours of looking for the best copy I could find). In fact, I showed it to Bruce there, and he thought a 9.4 w/ 9.6 possibility. I thought it was an easy 9.4 (even PM'd Banner about this telling him so). Just disappointing. I wish I had scanned the X-men #100 I got back at the same time that graded 9.2. It's far inferior to this book.

As far as calling Steve about it, I'm sure they see so many books, they'd never remember this one. I'm not going to call and bust their balls over it (although I prob woulda given him a little "stuff" if I had talked to him or Paul when I called).

It is what it is. The best looking 9.0 in the world! crazy.gif

Chris

Coming Soon.....The Frightening Answer!!! (Lantern will post the label) shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Watch in horror as CGC B.itch slaps me back to reality!

Marvel at the Forum's Collective lack of grading knowledge!

See why, while I usually never complain about my grades, why I did on this one!!!

THE HORROR! THE HORROR!

298096-hos103c.jpg

Chris

Bah...your DCs suck anyways! tonofbricks.gif