• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tougher to find Timelys?

46 posts in this topic

and I just lost a copy of Sub 32, cgc 7.5 in an auction last week (lost $100 ugh!)

Hey rick,

what did the book sell for?

$3600

I had an internet proxy of $2500, got outbid by Crowzilla :frustrated: , then I live bid on ebay and put in $4000 (might have been more)...it took my bid (ebay did) but Weiss auctions didn't recognize/receive it???, so the book sold for $400 less than I was willing to pay....I Forwarded this info to Weiss (my ebay confirmed bid, etc) but the book had already been picked up live, buy the bidder last Sat, so I lost out

Wow,

That was a really good price for that book. I'm sorry to hear that ebay screwed up your bid :frustrated: I wonder why that book didn't come up on my ebay searches. :pullhair:

Vern

Uugh someone stole that book for that price, I never saw it either. Crippen copy sold for $2K more over a year ago. :P

2455952135_c2dca3cdfb.jpg

With regard to the Subbies, I have been trying to finish the run for ten years now and have very rarely seen 29, 30 and 31 for sale.

Without a doubt, Subby 31 is the toughest, scarcest issue.

I thought Daring Mystery #2 was supposed to be the scarcest Timely - is this no longer true.

It is still very tough, but possibly not the toughest - that title may go to Subby 31 or Mystic 4. But it is close.

Here's another question - why does there seem to be an abundance of copies of Young Allies #1 available?

It's a little expensive - but it is a minor key and has a great S&k Hitler/Red Skull cover - I would have thought it would be a fairly high demand Timely - or is there just not much love for the Young Allies?

Young Allies, like Boy Commandos, is one of those teen group books that were very popular back then, but not so popular now. #1 is pretty common, very expensive, and (along with Tough Kid Squad) by far the least desirable Timely key.

It is a very cool book, though. S&K art, The Red Skull, and best of all a five chapter near book length story. In fact the first five issues all had cool book length stories by S&K.

IIRC - it's just the Chapter splashes that S&K did in YA #1 - and while #4 has a full length story - it is definetly not by S&K.

I wonder if S&K books in general still have the same degree of appeal they used to - sure they will always be collectible - but it seems when I was a young lad in the early 70's, their covers and books epitomized the Golden Age. Nowadays it seems they're just part of the mix.

I thought Schomburg was the only artist that drew in the GA.

:whistle:

Seriously, S+K to me still strongly represent the GA even though I am niot a big fan of their line work. Their layouts rock!

R.

I thought Daring Mystery #2 was supposed to be the scarcest Timely - is this no longer true.

It is still very tough, but possibly not the toughest - that title may go to Subby 31 or Mystic 4. But it is close.

guess I can be happy to have DM2 and Mystic 4 out of the way...not collecting subby, so whew!

Red Raven #1 is probably in the top 3, rarely see copies of this book for sale.

strange...I have seen no less than 6 copies in the last year (4 restored 2 unrestored)... Ididn't even bother (shrug)

strange...I have seen no less than 6 copies in the last year (4 restored 2 unrestored)... Ididn't even bother (shrug)

I have to agree with Rick. There was a time when it rarely showed up for sale, but especially in the last few years they seem to be popping out of the woodwork. Still, one of my all-time favorite books.

I have to agree with Rick. There was a time when it rarely showed up for sale, but especially in the last few years they seem to be popping out of the woodwork. Still, one of my all-time favorite books.

I had always meant to pick one up, just didn't see the "rush" to do so... eventually (thumbs u

IIRC - it's just the Chapter splashes that S&K did in YA #1 - and while #4 has a full length story - it is definetly not by S&K.

I wonder if S&K books in general still have the same degree of appeal they used to - sure they will always be collectible - but it seems when I was a young lad in the early 70's, their covers and books epitomized the Golden Age. Nowadays it seems they're just part of the mix.

Now does seem to be a good time to be a S&K collector.Particularly the D.C. material.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think these are really tough:

All Select 3-5

All Winners 12-14

Captain America 36-42

Gay 18-19

Joker 15-17

Kid Komics 4-6

Young Allies 12-14

I've seen a few Daring No. 2, it's not as tough as the Daring No. 3. Marvel No. 5 is supposed to be tough, but I've seen lots of compared to Nos 2-3.

Joe

Must be more on the con circut because they rarely seem to surface online. Would like to own a nice low grade copy myself just for the first page splash (should have been the cover).

All Select 3-5

All Winners 12-14

I've seen a few Daring No. 2, it's not as tough as the Daring No. 3. Marvel No. 5 is supposed to be tough, but I've seen lots of compared to Nos 2-3.

Joe

interesting...from my perspective, I would say daring 2 is considerably more difficult than daring 3....

right now, there are currently no copies of daring 2 available in the market, at least that I am aware of (nor have there been for a bit)...however, there are no less that 4 copies of issue #3 available in the market, and 2 others recently sold (one bought by roy and one by me)...that is 6 available (recently) #3 to no #2's (shrug)

just a current perspective, I can't speak about the past...

I would agree that Marvel Mystery 5 is tough....right now, only copy I know of is in the Comiclink auction...metro sold one copy last year (have not had a copy posted to their site this year)... no #5 on clink, the trolley copy by marnin sold last year (this is the one on comic link auction now)...and I bought one from Bedrock,. and the restored copy on comic connect...only 4 issues in last 2 years I can recollect....strangely enough, there has also only been 4 copies of #9 that I recall in the last few years too...

All Select 3-5

All Winners 12-14

Joe

interesting...from my perspective, I would say daring 2 is considerably more difficult than daring 3....

right now, there are currently no copies of daring 2 available in the market, at least that I am aware of (nor have there been for a bit)...however, there are no less that 4 copies of issue #3 available in the market, and 2 others recently sold (one bought by roy and one by me)...that is 6 available (recently) #3 to no #2's (shrug)

I would agree that Marvel Mystery 5 is tough....right now, only copy I know of is in the Comiclink auction...metro sold one copy last year (have not had a copy posted to their site this year)... no #5 on clink, the trolley copy by marnin sold last year (this is the one on comic link auction now)...and I bought one from Bedrock,. and the restored copy on comic connect...only 4 issues in last 2 years I can recollect....strangely enough, there has also only been 4 copies of #9 that I recall in the last few years too...

What is the breakdown on Marvel 4? :popcorn:

All Select 3-5

All Winners 12-14

Joe

What is the breakdown on Marvel 4? :popcorn:

while marvel 4 is still tough, it is quite a bit "easier" compared to 5 and 9 (with 2 being the scarcest), unless you are talking about a major high grade ped :baiting:

there have been at least 9 copies on the market in the last year, either recently sold or still available, between ebay, clink, metro, terry's comics (from whom I bought mine), etc...at least 3 available right now...

gator, the comic detective