• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this board an accurate reflection of the hobby?

92 posts in this topic

That would be hard answer. However, this board does not contain are true varied sample of all the types that make up our collecting hobby. I believe it to be skewed to one end of the spectrum.
hm I hope it's not the butt end.

I would like to learn more about what/who is an accurate reflection of the hobby.

:popcorn:

That would be hard answer. However, this board does not contain are true varied sample of all the types that make up our collecting hobby. I believe it to be skewed to one end of the spectrum.

I would like to learn more about what/who is an accurate reflection of the hobby.

I would say the more educated, higher end of the market, but I don't want to be branded an elitist.

Hi everyone...

As I've mentioned in just about every post I've made, I'm a recent returnee to comic collecting. My collecting goals are fairly modest compared to what I've read about here, I'm mainly interested in affordable copies of the top ten or so SA Marvel keys, the stuff I could never have as a kid. My price point is in the $700-$1700 range (although that could be stretched for the right deal). I don't mind if my 45 year old comics look like 45 year old comics.

Anyway, this is my point: this is the only comic board that I read and I wonder if it's giving me a skewed perception of the hobby. It seems like the majority of the people who post are HG elitists. Elitist is kind of a negative word but I don't mean it negatively. I'm just wondering, does the HG crowd represent a small niche, or are your opinions typical of the hobby?

I'm not buying to invest, but I do wish to buy wisely, and it kind of feels like I'm not doing it right. I'm not asking anyone to tell me what to do; I know which books I want and what my spending comfort zone is. It's just that the hobby seems to have changed so much since I left it 30 years ago. Is this board the best place for me to catch up? I sometimes feel like a beer drinker at a wine tasting.

I do really enjoy what most of you guys write about, I'm constantly impressed by the knowledge and resourcefulness on display here, and many of you are very funny as well. I guess it boils down to, is this the reality of the hobby, or just a small segment of it?

Thanks for reading my post, and extra thanks for any responses!

:hi:Low grade collector, I want pages, covers and NO rat chews ...and not necessarily in that order.

That being said, I've probably purchased low grade books in your price range and I still love them.

I do appreciate Greggy's collection, it's just newer than the books I'm presently in love with.

The whackjob end?

Don't worry ................ :/:/.............................................. :grin:...BH

I would say the more educated, higher end of the market, but I don't want to be branded an elitist.

The whackjob end?

You are certainly pulling your load.

Hi there,

I think this board is a reflection of one way the hobby has gone. And that is grade-conscious, trying to find really choice copies. I think that there have always been a cadre of collectors who cared deeply about grade. The advent of CGC has really magnified this elite band of collectors. These boards are for those guys.

There are, of course, many collectors who prefer lower and mid grade... and if you talk to dealers like Doug Sulipa, you will realize there is a huge 'silent majority' out there who love books in lower grade, for their readability and affordability.

So, actually I do think that this board reflects the hobby... the part of the hobby that has ALWAYS loved high grade.

Shep

I agree with the exception of a few of us...

Don't worry ................ :/:/.............................................. :grin:...BH

hm I'm less educated and collect mid-grades. I now feel like i've been stranded (all alone) on the island of misfit toys. :cry:

Education refers to comic knowledge, not anyone's level of public or private schooling. As far as I am concerned, Mike, you fit right in. I would consider your GA Actions to be high grade for the year in which they were produced. Plus, you have a very high level of comic knowledge.

I mean ask the average comic joe on the street about CGC, Ewert, pressing, NOD and so on and so forth and see what kind of response you get. Now, ask the same questions to a board member.

I think CapFreak's books brings the avg. collection grade to a happy medium !............ :baiting:..........BH....

Hi there,

I think this board is a reflection of one way the hobby has gone. And that is grade-conscious, trying to find really choice copies. I think that there have always been a cadre of collectors who cared deeply about grade. The advent of CGC has really magnified this elite band of collectors. These boards are for those guys.

There are, of course, many collectors who prefer lower and mid grade... and if you talk to dealers like Doug Sulipa, you will realize there is a huge 'silent majority' out there who love books in lower grade, for their readability and affordability.

So, actually I do think that this board reflects the hobby... the part of the hobby that has ALWAYS loved high grade.

Shep

I agree with the exception of a few of us...

Can someone explain to me that if these boards are not an accurate reflection of the hobby, what is?

The PGX board. You cant read it here, its a chalk board in the same basement grading is done. But everyone on the board loves it... :jokealert:

If you love early Marvel, you must treat yourself to more than 10 books.

Back in the day I had near-complete runs of just about all Marvel's super hero stuff, as well as a ton of Adams & Kirby DC stuff. Sold 'em all to pay for college. When I say near-complete, it was FF 2-200, ASM 2-150, you get the idea. Now I just want the ones I couldn't have back then. And it's probably fewer than 10. Daredevil & Thor never really did much for me. If I expand, it'll probably be all six original Hulks too. After that? I'll probably be satisfied (yeah right). If not probably EC, maybe some GA Timlies.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. At this point my collection consists of getting burnt on a bogus AF 15 (successfully returned though) and a copy of Avengers Annual #7 which used to be one of my favorite comics.

Thanks for all your input, you elitist bastards!

(and I mean that in the nicest possible way...)

I believe there's a decent mix here though I would be inclined to say it skewed towards HG collectors. But everyone's HG Threshold is different.

I will add that almost everyone here is very complimentary when anyone share's a book that is important to them. Especially if it's a "grail" to you. Most here understand that feeling of accomplishment and can relate.

This is definatly the best place to catch up. I collected comics from the early 60's to the late 70's. I put my collection away to raise a family and start a business. 2 years ago I started coming on here and found that I knew next to nothing about comic collecting as it is in todays world. These people are for the most part the most knowledgeable people you will find in this area with no hidden agenda. They share their information and help readily. I come here pretty much everyday and everyday I usually learn something new. It was to my shagrin that I did learn that my collection of over 5000 comics wasn't nearly as valuable as I thought. That aside, knowledge is power and you couldn't learn from any better source, that I have found anyway. I think there are a lot us us midgrade collectors on here but that we keep mostly silent due to the fact of being overwhelmed by the quality of a lot of the books people have on here. I mean there are over 11,000 members on here and they can't all have only high grade stuff, can they?? I don't know for sure but like you I will continue to plod (oops..now see that's a word I learned you shouldn't use on here) along, learning what I can, upgrading my collection and someday selling off the 4500 or so books I no longer want.

So, what we have learned from this thread is that there are as many ways to say "no", as there are collectors.

I guess in that regard this board is an accurate reflection of the hobby.

:insane:

So, what we have learned from this thread is that there are as many ways to say "no", as there are collectors.

I guess in that regard this board is an accurate reflection of the hobby.

:insane:

Nyet