• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caught the Iron Man movie last night.

31 posts in this topic

Another Iron Man movie post:

Went to the advanced screening last night. This was in an IMAX theater as well.

My 13 year old said it was better than Transformers (pretty high praise from him).

I really enjoyed it from beginning to end. I didn't see any dull moments. Wish they had cast Rodey a little better though. I just keep seeing that guy as the pimp in Hustle and Flow.

I had a couple of small issues with the movie but it was like how they dealt with the power source and a certain issue with the villain which I can expound later because I don't want to give spoilers out.

I liked the action sequences, the casting was good (except for Rodey but I can live with that), and it was pretty logically developed. I can see where they could have cut some of the early footage and gone more with action but it worked for me anyway!

Like I said in another thread, the Iron Man movie was fabulous. It is really encouraging that Marvel was able to turn a character who never really impressed in his stand-alone title (sorry, Cal) into a film that rivals and perhaps even exceeds any of their previous efforts to date. I was worried that perhaps Marvel had shot its load, so to speak, with the X-Men and Spider-Man franchises and that subsequent efforts with less-popular characters (i.e., everyone else) would fall short of the standards set by Spidey 1&2 and X2.

The big worry now, however, is that this summer's Hulk movie is shaping up to be a potential bomb with the Ang Lee stinker still fresh in people's minds. Here's a good article that someone sent to me today:

Why 'Iron Man' will outmuscle the 'Hulk'

Marvel's 'Iron Man' is about to become a Hollywood superhero - and crush the Hulk at the box office.

By Devin Leonard, senior writer

Marvel's "Iron Man," which opens Friday, is likely to be a blockbuster.

"The Incredible Hulk" has all the makings of a dud when it lands in theaters in June.

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- On Friday, Marvel Entertainment releases "Iron Man," the saga of Tony Stark, a hard-drinking, amoral war-profiteer who redeems himself by donning high-tech armor and trouncing bad guys. Marvel is in the midst of a similar redemption.

As you may recall, the comic book publisher went bankrupt more than a decade ago. It resurrected itself when it morphed into a licensing powerhouse and signed Spider-Man over to Sony (SNE), which then turned your friendly neighborhood Web-slinger into one of Hollywood's most valuable franchises. But that's the first half of the Marvel saga.

Now the company is producing its own movies, and "Iron Man" is the first. The good news for Marvel is that "Iron Man" is likely to be a smash. Steve Mason, a theater owner and oft-quoted pundit, predicts a $103 million opening weekend for the film. "Marvel stockholders should be very happy in the near-term," he wrote on Thursday. "Numbers like that will certainly guarantee a couple of Iron Man sequels."

Here's the bad news: Even if "Iron Man" delivers scorching results, it isn't likely to sway some Wall Street analysts who are doubtful about the long-term prospects of Marvel's in-house studio. On June 13, Marvel will unveil the second of its two movies for 2008, "The Incredible Hulk." Plagued by negative buzz, this one looks like it could flop.

Unfortunately for Marvel (MVL), not all superheroes become movie stars. "Iron Man" was never as good a comic book character as the Hulk. Tony Stark first appeared in 1963 in "Tales of Suspense No. 39" as a scourge of global communists. But as the sixties wore on, "Iron Man" seemed at odds with the times. Not enough people wanted to read a funny book about a superhero who was secretly the CEO of a weapons manufacturer -- certainly not when the nation was being torn apart by the Vietnam War. So "Iron Man" became a B-list hero in the Marvel Universe.

By contrast, the Hulk became an iconic comic book character when he first appeared in 1962. Few comic book fans could resist the tale of scientist Bruce Banner, whose overexposure to gamma rays cause him to become a raging green monster even stronger than the Fantastic Four's rocky-skinned Thing. The Hulk went on to appear on Saturday morning cartoons and a campy network television starring Bill Bixby as Banner and bodybuilder Lou Ferrigno as his frightening alter ego.

The big screen hasn't been as kind to the green monolith. In 2003, Universal released "The Hulk," a stylish, but gloomy movie directed by Ang Lee, who later won an Oscar for "Brokeback Mountain." The film, which cost $150 million to produce, took in a mere $132 million in U.S. ticket sales and fared even more poorly internationally. Now Marvel has to draw disappointed Hulk fans back to the theaters.

That's going to be difficult. "The Incredible Hulk" has been plagued by infighting. Marvel hired the famously temperamental Edward Norton to play Banner and to rewrite the -script. By all accounts, the star clashed with the higher ups at Marvel. Now he isn't participating in the company's publicity drive for the movie.

Meanwhile, "Iron Man" is getting ready to enjoy the kind of adulation he never received in comic land. The movie's director, Jon Favreau of "Elf" and "Swingers" fame, has turned Tony Stark from a cold warrior to a conflicted participant in America's war on terror. He discovers his company's weapons are being used by the bad guys against American troops and changes his ways.

Marvel also shrewdly cast actor Robert Downey Jr. in the lead role. This is Downey's biggest role since his much-publicized battle with drugs. So, perhaps not surprisingly, the actor has been eager to promote the movie. The result has been a flurry of magazine cover stories on the eve of the "Iron Man" opening. ("The jail time, the lousy movies, the sense that the only thing larger than Robert Downey Jr.'s talent is his appetite for self-destruction...Those days are gone," GQ recently gushed.)

If only Norton was doing the same. He's not helping The Hulk's latest movie bid.

Next year, Marvel plans to make one superhero movie. It hasn't announced the character yet. But Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Morgan, strongly suspects it will be "Captain America," the former Nazi fighter. Most comic book lovers would probably agree that "Captain America" is an even better character than the Hulk. Uh oh.

First Published: May 1, 2008: 2:30 PM EDT

Other people were like me, ready for Iron Man 2. I enjoyed it more than the X-men last movie and probably more than the last Spidey as well. Much much better than the hulk movie. I did enjoy the Punisher one but not as much as either Iron Man or Transformers. I really believe the IMAX has alot to do with a better experience than a regular theater.

Other people were like me, ready for Iron Man 2. I enjoyed it more than the X-men last movie and probably more than the last Spidey as well. Much much better than the hulk movie. I did enjoy the Punisher one but not as much as either Iron Man or Transformers. I really believe the IMAX has alot to do with a better experience than a regular theater.

My turn:

Just saw the Iron Man movie tonight with wife and oldest daughter

No Spoilers( I NEVER give Spoilers)

but I CAN do this:

Excellent

Superb

Outstanding

Great Special Effects

Great Technology background(s)

Great -script

Great Cast( Jeff Bridges a la Lebowski nearly steals the show circa Jack Nicholson did from Micheal Keaton in Batman)

Everything seemed to fit well.

The BEST comic book movie I have ever seen - but this comment is not a qualified one because of the obvious conflict-of-interest visibility I have...

the MUST-SEE movie of the year!

CAL who is glad the movie is great!

Just got back from the show: It's excellent. I had high expectations going in & was not disappointed. Saw the show with a large group of people, some who read comics & some who know nothing about the character - all walked away impressed. I will plunk down $$ to see it again.

Just got back from the show: It's excellent. I had high expectations going in & was not disappointed. Saw the show with a large group of people, some who read comics & some who know nothing about the character - all walked away impressed. I will plunk down $$ to see it again.

Likewise! (thumbs u

I just saw the movie, and I have to say I liked it. The first 3/4 were awesome, however I thought the final 1/4 and boss fight were lacking. I did really enjoy it though. I give it a B+.

In rank of recent Marvel movies I'd put it like this:

1st: Spider-man

2nd: X-men 2

3rd: X-men

4th: Iron Man

I just saw the movie, and I have to say I liked it. The first 3/4 were awesome, however I thought the final 1/4 and boss fight were lacking. I did really enjoy it though. I give it a B+.

I was discussing this with my son, about where IM would rank. And for me, I think it would depend upon my mood, but IM could easily rank 1, 2, 3 or 4 - it was that cool (my son ranks it 4th, too). Definitely an 'A' movie, though!

1st: Iron Man

2nd: Daredevil

3rd: Spider-Man 3

4th Spider-Man 2

5th: Spider-Man 1

6th: FF rise of the SILVER SURFER

Yes I did see X-Men, but it did not register enough for me to rank them.

CAL :hi:

4th Spider-Man 2

I thought DD and both FFs were complete garbage. Spider-man 2 was okay. Iron Man was a great movie, but not mindblowingly great I don't think.

4th Spider-Man 2

I thought DD and both FFs were complete garbage. Spider-man 2 was okay. Iron Man was a great movie, but not mindblowingly great I don't think.

when you ranked your movies, which Spidey were you referring to???

Curious CAL