• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts On the Golden Record Reprints

24 posts in this topic

Golden Record Reprints--what are your thoughts?

I'm still sometimes amazed I was able to get a legit copy of ASM 1, and while I'm holding on to some small thread of hope that I'll eventually get a copy of AF 15 *nervous laughter* I don't think I'll ever be able to snag some of the other uber-grails out there. So, I've been thinking about getting copies of the GRRs to fill those gaps. I know that there are less pricier reprints out there, but I'm also looking for something as close to the real thing as possible. So...

Golden Record Reprints--what are your thoughts? :grin:

I know Povertyrow was a fan of Marvel Tales #1 for reasons similar to what you're laying out for the Golden Record Reprints. It's only a few years after.

I thought Marvel Tales #1 came out a few years earlier. I've seen large finds of both the FF #1 & Journey into Mystery #83, I think the Marvel Tales #1 is a better deal.

Golden Record Reprints--what are your thoughts?

I'm still sometimes amazed I was able to get a legit copy of ASM 1, and while I'm holding on to some small thread of hope that I'll eventually get a copy of AF 15 *nervous laughter* I don't think I'll ever be able to snag some of the other uber-grails out there. So, I've been thinking about getting copies of the GRRs to fill those gaps. I know that there are less pricier reprints out there, but I'm also looking for something as close to the real thing as possible. So...

Golden Record Reprints--what are your thoughts? :grin:

Be aware that these are a much thinner comic (no ad/letter pages) and have the first and last page printed in B+W on the inside front cover and inside back cover (at least my JIM #83 does).

I like 'em. But I think they are pricey at the high end for what they are. They're better than the Marvel Tales issues cause you can fool your friends. "Look, Steve. Spiderman #1!!!!!!!!" (hold thumb over non existent price circle.)

scan0024.jpg

I sold all mine............they do nothing for me.

I'd prefer a lower grade Marvel tales for reading them for some reason. At least that book doesn't try to fool you.......you know you're getting a thick book of reprint goodness.

Well, I have the Marvel Tales, Marvel Collectors Item Classics, Marvel Superheroes, and a couple of the GRR as well! Why stop at 1? One interesting thing is that the stories were recolored each time they were printed, sometimes very differently from the originals.

Here are my GRRs:

File0113.jpg

File0111.jpg

Yeah... I'd still like to get another copy of Avengers #4 since it's not too outrageous for a nice condition low grade (yet). JIM 83 is one book I'd like to have a copy of but am in no mood at all to pay the price for it (which is why GRR works nicely). And while I'd love to own a coy of FF 1, it's just out of my range.

Seems like a high price for reprints. I had the Spidey GRR as a kid, remember the voices sounded very odd, Spidey sounded like he was gargling and Chameleon sounded like a pedophile...(I know, what exactly does a pedophile sound like? Dunno, but that's what it makes me think of).

Also, I've always loved the design of the early Marvel price stamps (like my avatar) and those are absent on GRR.

This is a set I'd like to assemble. I want 'em with the records, though and that gets expensive.

Lucky me. I bought my "set" piecemeal, so it wasn't TOO terribly expensive.

Of course, I no longer own a turntable...:makepoint:

Hey, as a teacher of 3rd graders, I've always wanted to get those vinyl records transferred to CD copy for my listening center. Does anybody have that capability (and willingness) to copy vinyl to CD? I'll pay for CDs and postage. Goes to a good cause since I can have my students listen and read along with reprints that I have of each of those (except I'm not sure where to get a cheap reprint of Avengers 4). Hoaky voices or not, it's high interest and is another incentive to get my students interested in reading. PM me if anybody's willing and able to do this.

Mick

I know Povertyrow was a fan of Marvel Tales #1 for reasons similar to what you're laying out for the Golden Record Reprints. It's only a few years after.

I thought Marvel Tales #1 came out a few years earlier. I've seen large finds of both the FF #1 & Journey into Mystery #83, I think the Marvel Tales #1 is a better deal.

Marvel Tales #1 came out in 1964...or a year after ASM #1. GRR ASM #1 and the other ones came out in 1966, 2 years later...

Hey, this thread inspired to just now pick up a copy...haven't owned this book in awhile...will be fun to own it again... :headbang:

Hey, as a teacher of 3rd graders, I've always wanted to get those vinyl records transferred to CD copy for my listening center. Does anybody have that capability (and willingness) to copy vinyl to CD? I'll pay for CDs and postage. Goes to a good cause since I can have my students listen and read along with reprints that I have of each of those (except I'm not sure where to get a cheap reprint of Avengers 4). Hoaky voices or not, it's high interest and is another incentive to get my students interested in reading. PM me if anybody's willing and able to do this.

Mick

Marvel is currently reprinting the Avengers stories in Avengers Classic ( I think that's the title? ). They're an exact reprint with a new cover.

59289-0009_1_bl.JPG.62662ed7a2bd7fff7318c7e4f70e5e2b.JPG