• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Older Books.. rather have a 9.6 WP or a 9.8 OWP ?

16 posts in this topic

Is this really a dilemma?

Would someone rather have a 9.6 with white pages or a 9.8 with off white pages?

We can eliminate considering new books, because the pages are going to be white anyway...

But as for older books... is there a clear cut favorite as to what you would want?

I personally would probably take the white pages... simply because to me that is the most important thing....

... but how many of you out there would prefer the 9.8 ?

I think if I knew at some point that I would want to sell either of these books, I'd prefer the 9.8. I have an ASM #14 in 8.0 (maybe a bad comparison) with White pages. Does this make it more valuable than an 8.5? I wish it were true, but I don't believe so.

9.8 all the way! but it would still come down to QP(quality of production) first.

I agree 100%.

From an investment point of view, not many people would turn down a 9.8 just because it had off-white pages. But, I know (including myself), that I will turn down books because the quality of production is good enough. The way I see it, why buy a structurally perfect book (i.e. 9.6 or better) that has inferior quality of production just because CGC doesn't downgrade for it. I downgrade for it, as other forum members do also.

I'd take the white pages as well. For me the difference between 9.6 and 9.8 is almost negligible (I don't own anything above 9.6), but the page quality matters.

Yea, I'd rather have the 9.6 too and forego the extra 50% that the 9.8 is worth. makepoint.gif

It would come down to the QP for me personally, but as a flip 893scratchchin-thumb.gif it would come down to the calibre of the book. If the .2 grade difference translates into a much higher price then I will gladly buy the 9.8 to make $$$ to purchase my beloved MTU's tongue.gif

I'm not sure that the cost was really suppose to be a factor in this question

My answer is which I would buy, not which I would take if they were being offered to me for free. QP being equal, the 9.6 white is a much better deal than the 9.8 OW.

I'd go for the 9.8 IF the cost of ownership wasn't prohibitive compared to the 9.6. Resale potential is higher.

A personal example: I sold a couple of Gaines File copies about a year and a half ago on Heritage. I had bought them unslabbed and got them CGC'ed via Collectors Society "dues". The 9.8 got 10x (then) Overstreet Guide, while the 9.6 "only" got 5x Guide. (I believe the page quality on both was OW-W).

My purchase cost was only about 10% higher for the 9.8 than for the 9.6, but my return cost was two-fold. And no, it really didn't bother me that they charged both me and the buyer 15% fees. I am not sure how I would have felt had I been the buyer, though. At the time, I think I maximized my return by using an auction house. But it is pretty amazing to think that Heritage made a cool 30% on the deal...

I'd take the white pages as well. For me the difference between 9.6 and 9.8 is almost negligible (I don't own anything above 9.6), but the page quality matters.

I don't think its so clear cut, as the PQ difference is negligable also. A comic could easily come back with an OW rating one week and a W rating the next.

As JC said, at this level it comes down to the eye appeal of the book.