• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

March Madness in May, Round of 32

144 posts in this topic

doh! Man I really screwed the pooch on those books. I had the 107 (impacted corner, lousy color on the staples, two inch scratch)as a 7.0 and the 159 as a 9.2. Wolvie as an 8.5 cause I thought there were also two micro-tears on the back bottom. Can't have a 9.4 with three micro tears... Some tricky stuff.
hm

Is that the same as "boinking the dog"? (shrug)

doh! Man I really screwed the pooch on those books. I had the 107 (impacted corner, lousy color on the staples, two inch scratch)as a 7.0 and the 159 as a 9.2. Wolvie as an 8.5 cause I thought there were also two micro-tears on the back bottom. Can't have a 9.4 with three micro tears... Some tricky stuff.
hm

Whats the matter, you never saw the Right Stuff?

hm

Nope... :shy:

I had the ASM#107 at 8.0(this is amazing alright a 9.2 that has that many rounded corners) doh!

D.D.#159 at 9.2 (very clean 8.0 by the way) :makepoint:

Thor #338 at 9.4

Wolverine limited #1 9.0 (due to the tears as well)

OK..OaK-MAN...gloves are off...when the dust settles, let's see who's in the SWEEET 16...

My grades/notes...when I grade, especially on a computer scan, I take a pretty good look at the book, hopefully spot the determining flaws, and write down a grade...and then in a second column I denote the next grade it could possibly be...for example, if I post a 9.0, I then give it the lean-grade of either 9.2 or 8.5...

1. In the case of the ASM, I first listed 9.0...with the lean toward 9.2

2. In the case of the DD 159, I first listed 9.0...with the lean toward 8.5

3. In the case of the THOR 338, I first listed 9.6...with the lean toward 9.4

4. In the case of the WOLV 1, I first listed 9.2, with the lean toward 9.4

(I have the most trouble with books like this with a small tear or sim slight defect)

Posted grades

1. 9.2

2. 9.0

3. 9.6

4. 9.2 (I really wanted to pull the 9.4 trigger on this one...everything else about the book screamed 9.6 with the slight defect...)

I gotta feelin... :headbang:

OK..OaK-MAN...gloves are off...when the dust settles, let's see who's in the SWEEET 16...

My grades/notes...when I grade, especially on a computer scan, I take a pretty good look at the book, hopefully spot the determining flaws, and write down a grade...and then in a second column I denote the next grade it could possibly be...for example, if I post a 9.0, I then give it the lean-grade of either 9.2 or 8.5...

(I have the most trouble with books like this with a small tear or sim slight defect)

Posted grades

1. 9.2

2. 9.0

3. 9.6

4. 9.2 (I really wanted to pull the 9.4 trigger on this one...everything else about the book screamed 9.6 with the slight defect...)

(tsk) A true grademaster never reveals his strategy

hm

Clearly, the correct usage of the phrase . . . :grin: (thumbs u

Bracket with results will be up shortly...just double checking the scores. I'm also trying to find DJ's grades. I didn't see them and he never read my PM...hope all's well. :wishluck:

zzz What are you using? An abacus? lol

Posted grades

1. 9.2

2. 9.0

3. 9.6

(tsk) A true grademaster never reveals his strategy

Always looking to help the disadvantaged...that's just me... :insane:

And besides, I am not revealing what led me to arrive at the initial grade or the lean...that only looks good after the fact but I'm just home from my niece's college graduation so perhaps I'm a little giddy... :devil:

(WOW...I just realized this was my lucky 2000th post...I think I'll have to donate a prize... :headbang: )

OK everyone, results are in. No overtime games this round. :acclaim:

....big upset in the West. After a miserable regular season, trmoore54 is pouring it on and defeated the top seated team in the tournament. Other news- October has the tournament high score of 75 while advancing to the Sweet 16.

I'm still accepting prizes, and will be posting a current list in the Sweet 16 thread. Thanks to everyone who has played, this wouldn't be possible without you all.

The book that gave everyone trouble, and I'll have to admit was the toughy of the bunch was the DD 159. Its a little rough on the top edge and has some micro dings on the spine which didn't scan too well, but I would agree that it was graded pretty tough by CGC.

Average grades everyone assigned are as follows:

ASM 107 - 8.7

DD 159- 9.1

Thor 338- 9.5

Wolvy 1- 9.2

...and here are the updated brackets:

Bracket.jpg