• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will lightning strike twice at Comiclink?

59 posts in this topic

Stepping back from the historical significance of AF 15 and Showcase 4, Hulk 1 is by far the hardest silverage "super key" in high grade.

I'd say $140K is definitely in play.

If you`re talking Marvel, then yes. If you`re talking about all SA, then I would say B&B 28 is equally hard and Showcase 22 is harder.

Showcase 22 is a cool book.

:headbang:

Also, the SHowcase 4 is getting no love at all and the Showcase 6 is also currently below Guide. I recently picked up 2 B&B 28's in nice 3.5 below Guide. What do most of you think about Silver DC? Is it dead and dying or a great time to buy with Marvels getting insane prices?

keith contarino

who collects DC's? :insane: no demand, but you're right, DC keys in low grade can be had for a bargin.

That'll change I think. Lot's of things go up and down. Look at bronze horror...on fire two years ago, slowing down now. Everything go's up and down. I was never a DC collector but I would buy some SA DC keys if I had the $$ just because they are tough in grade.

R.

And from a collector's standpoint....they're MIGHTY cool.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Don't know if you guys covered this but that's the weakest 9.2 I've ever seen. Look at the 8.5 FF 16 just above it. None of the spine stresses, no corner damage etc. The Hulk 1 is gonna top $100K but it's not a very nice 9.2. Also, the SHowcase 4 is getting no love at all and the Showcase 6 is also currently below Guide. I recently picked up 2 B&B 28's in nice 3.5 below Guide. What do most of you think about Silver DC? Is it dead and dying or a great time to buy with Marvels getting insane prices?

keith contarino

thats is all very true... and this copy has been tagged repeatedly as a weak 9.2. But if you look reaaal close on the label you will still see that ".2" after the "9" which is so blinding as to eclipse all the corners issues etc on the book itself. Get with the program sir!

at this point I think its a tossup whether there will be no more bids, or a furious finish that might have one guy plug in 190 and another 200K at the last second... clearly the serious bidders for it have their poker faces solidly in place for a few more hours of sweaty-palmed excitement.

Yo Pimp!! You know I collect DC's!! If I had the extra cash lying around I'd win the Showcase 4 on comiclink. With beatup copies of TOS 39 commanding big bucks it's hard to turn down books like B&B 28 in CGC graded VG

keith

Problem with your logic is sooner or later people will look at the book not just the grade. It's already happening if you read descriptions by sellers. We're now seeing books described as perfectly centered. There's a 9.8 SHowcase 60 at Comiclink that's off center and nowhere near the price that it brought 3-4 years ago on Ebay. I'm with the "program" but expect people to eventually look at the books more carefully. The Hulk 1 still has all the faults everyone can see despite the magical .2 after the 9.

I wrote a longer piece in another thread about this issue. Basically, while the word is spreading, the .2 in the label is still far and away the determining factor in the decision. Still today, the calculus says that many more buyers will also see the big .2 up there and feel safe buying it.

Eventually, with more data spreading and lists developed keeping track of which specific 9.2s are really 9.1s and which are 9.3s--- the buying public will differentiate with their checkbooks.

I dont see evidence that we are there yet. If this books stalls where it is (just about what it sold for last time), though, maybe it has begun. We have discussed this copy many times, so maybe its a good test case..

Id hope the reason that 9.8s dont hold their top sales values is solely because prices for 9.8s are stupid! --- and not because the book isnt centered enough. But to a 9.8 collector, I guess 9.8 means "perfect", so I guess it shouldnt have a miswrap etc.

ding ding ding ding !!! we have a winnah! 117K

not as high as I thought it would go, but a new record.

Had it been a strong 9.2 I have no doubt it would've fetched 150 .Based on the scan...it looks like it may have the best gloss and color of all the top copies.GOD BLESS...

My overall take on the auction is that there is unbelievable appetite for ultra-HG SA books. 9.6 seems to be the grade that gets bidders' juices really going, and 9.8 is on a different planet, as evidenced by the ASM prices. I just finished watching some early SA 9.6 Supermans go for unbelievable multiples.

It will be interesting to see what happens now as the attention shifts over to the unprecedented ultra-HG SA DC trove over at Heritage.

My overall take on the auction is that there is unbelievable appetite for ultra-HG SA books. 9.6 seems to be the grade that gets bidders' juices really going, and 9.8 is on a different planet, as evidenced by the ASM prices. I just finished watching some early SA 9.6 Supermans go for unbelievable multiples.

It will be interesting to see what happens now as the attention shifts over to the unprecedented ultra-HG SA DC trove over at Heritage.

I was surprised at the prices for late silver non key FF's in 9.6....those upper range late 60's books are just not turning up in the census like many of us thought.Owners of 9.6's do seem to be in rare company.I was surprised at the JLA 16....MAN WHAT A STEAL.I guess it was ONLY a 9.2 :o ....and that's one notch above what I can barely afford.I imagine the ceiling for the winning bidder was much higher than the final price.It's like Mark Wilson predicted several years ago...a parallel to certified coins and cards where the highest grades have a ravenous market all their own.GOD BLESS...

P.S. That 9.6 JLA 1 may produce a BIG surprise if sold....50 k seems cheap.

I was surprised at the JLA 16....MAN WHAT A STEAL.I guess it was ONLY a 9.2 :o ....and that's one notch above what I can barely afford.I imagine the ceiling for the winning bidder was much higher than the final price.

:grin:

Thank you. Thank you very much.

And yes, my max bid was considerably more. Think double...then you're close.

Rick

If a book is below 9.6, it apparently drops off some radar screens. If it drops belows 9.4, it drops off a lot of radar screens. I`ve always said the best bargains (relatively speaking) were 9.2s and 9.0s, which look very presentable but don`t usually go for the same kind of insane multiples.

I was surprised at the JLA 16....MAN WHAT A STEAL.I guess it was ONLY a 9.2 :o ....and that's one notch above what I can barely afford.I imagine the ceiling for the winning bidder was much higher than the final price.

:grin:

Thank you. Thank you very much.

And yes, my max bid was considerably more. Think double...then you're close.

Rick

I bid on that book but didn't up my bid beyond you because I couldn't afford it.I'm glad it went to a true collector and board member.I personally think that book would be a good deal at twice what you paid...cool cover ,cool story ,and pre '63.Coming from a longtime Marvel guy...DC prices are a breath of fresh air.I am a very average ,very typical collector.I'm sure I'M not the only guy noticing this.I've been wanting a JLA 1 for years and mid grade sharp copies look possible.Ditto for GL 1 .GOD BLESS...

If a book is below 9.6, it apparently drops off some radar screens. If it drops belows 9.4, it drops off a lot of radar screens. I`ve always said the best bargains (relatively speaking) were 9.2s and 9.0s, which look very presentable but don`t usually go for the same kind of insane multiples.

That is the strategy I usually follow. The Focused Auction before this one I picked up a Green Lantern 45 CGC 9.0 $50 under guide at $125!!!

I bid on that book but didn't up my bid beyond you because I couldn't afford it.I'm glad it went to a true collector and board member.I personally think that book would be a good deal at twice what you paid...cool cover ,cool story ,and pre '63.

Thanx Jimbo.

I also wanted the #16 for the "old label." All my pre-#15 issues have them. I like consistency.

And Tim's right about the "desire ladder." My cut-off for the 1st 22 is 9.0 & 23-50 is 9.2; I don't go strictly for 9.4s til after that. Makes things more affordable, yet still respectable. Looks like I'll never have the "best" JLA set, but that's all right. Enjoy what you have & be happy for what others are able to have.

Rick

All my pre-#15 issues have them. I like consistency.

That`s amazing! :applause: I guess it also shows when you acquired or slabbed the majority of your earlier issues.

My 5 and 15 by all rights should be in old labels, but they were unfortunately resubbed by Scott in the hope of an upgrade and got new labels, even though no work was done on the books.