• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CGC require Both Staples

18 posts in this topic

A comic missing a staple from publishing can grade as hi as a 9.6 if I'm not mistaken. 9.4 for sure.

If the cover is popped through one staple I think 5.0 VG/F is as hi as it can go.

It automatically drops the book into VG range so it would not be able to reach a fine range grade (5.5 which is fine minus).

R.

A comic missing a staple from publishing can grade as hi as a 9.6 if I'm not mistaken. 9.4 for sure.

If the cover is popped through one staple I think 5.0 VG/F is as hi as it can go.

It automatically drops the book into VG range so it would not be able to reach a fine range grade (5.5 which is fine minus).

R.

Thats fine my AF15 is around a 2.0 anyway - I just wondered whether they would green label me for it.

I received a Qualified 9.6 on a 60's Charlton book that was manufactured without any staples. The notes were "manufactured with no staples" or something like that. I will locate the scan if you want to see it.

R.

Thats fine my AF15 is around a 2.0 anyway - I just wondered whether they would green label me for it.

No. It's below the point (VG range, as Roy says) where a pull-through is acceptable. (thumbs u

I've never seen a book missing two staples. Cool. I do believe that when submitting the book you can tell them that you prefer a blue label to a green one if you want.

As far as the AF #15 2.0 goes they won't put that into a green label.

Green labels are generally for books that look hi grade but have one huge defect that takes them out of hi grade...missing pieces, massive defects etc.

In your case the popped staple is allowed in that grade.

R.

R.

Having said that, I have had a 5.5 Blue Label with a popped bottom staple, but to my mind, VG range is as high as that defect can grade. :screwy:

R.

Having said that, I have had a 5.5 Blue Label with a popped bottom staple, but to my mind, VG range is as high as that defect can grade. :screwy:

Well like my autoshop teacher once taught me...never say never as there is always an exception to the rule.

Was it a really nice book? Maybe an early CGC label where they hadn't really fixed their grading standards?

R.

R.

Well like my autoshop teacher once taught me...never say never as there is always an exception to the rule.

Was it a really nice book? Maybe an early CGC label where they hadn't really fixed their grading standards?

R.

Nah.

It actually looked like a 5.5 without the popped staple. :screwy:

R.

the highest grade I've seen with one staple detached (blue label) is 7.0.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=18012&Lot_No=12512&src=pr#

I have a 7.0 cgc'd that has detached cover from top staple with blue label. When a friend called cgc about this since I have heard different answers cgc said that if a book was very high grade with a detached page they give it a qualified label. If the book is a lower grade it gets a blue label. I wish cgc would note this on their labels since sort of irked me when I got the book and called for graders notes. I also should have asked the seller more questions or called before buying but was a learning experience lol

It is this book below.

57830-70detachedstaple.jpg.b900f62494b3bf15cb4c7438a727cd88.jpg

Wow. That I would never have guessed it. 7.0????

hm

Wonder if that is still the case?

R.