• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comic Zone: Sparkle City Comic's Founder Jay Maybruck
1 1

71 posts in this topic

I can't find the Maybruck interviews on Comiczone anymore. But I did listen to Vincent's interview with Chuck about the Church Collection yesterday. Interesting stuff, and Chuck seems very likable.

All four parts of the interview are still in the Comic Zone archives (I listened to Part IV last night), but like I mentioned, it's tough to unearth since Maybruck's name is strangely not listed. :insane: I think I put keywords into their search engine and somehow pulled them up.

Edited by cloudofwit

I can't find the Maybruck interviews on Comiczone anymore. But I did listen to Vincent's interview with Chuck about the Church Collection yesterday. Interesting stuff, and Chuck seems very likable.

All four parts of the interview are still in the Comic Zone archives (I listened to Part IV last night), but like I mentioned, it's tough to unearth since Maybruck's name is strangely not listed. :insane: I think I put keywords into their search engine and somehow pulled them up.

I'll try to do that, I'd love to hear those shows again.

What an interesting show. I cant stop listening to this. I love when he talks about Danny Cupcake in part 2. Trimming baseball cards?

I remember Sparkle City well. They always had a huge booth right when you walked in the door at the Chicago Con. They would always have multiple high grade copies of just about everything, and had it all organized very well.

DRX

These interviews on Comic Zone Radio (via the Metropolis website) are absolutely astounding. Done just over 2 years ago, they are required listening. :sumo:

It took me repeated visits to the Metropolis website (metropoliscomics.com) to listen to all 4 of 'em (search engine blues--and I don't think it's my incompetence :pullhair:)...but it was well worth it...

Why?

1) Morality tale to the nth degree!

2) Vincent Zurzolo lets his guard down and we, the listeners, eventually realize that Brad Savage ain't gonna make Vincent's best friend category. :whistle:

3) Jay Maybruck, former dealer extraordinaire, is pretty contrite (and odd and intelligent and humorous)...but occasionally articulates his disdain toward a character or two in his narrative...Todd McFarlane and Ernie Gerber, take a bow. :lol:

4) Maybruck's comment on his reprimand letter as a junior high teacher, re: asking the gals in the classroom who gets "horny" was so wild that his explanation/defense of the context, i.e, the womens' lib movement just didn't cut it. This reprimand letter was a part of the Sparkle City Comics portfolio (a limitied version) that was then (in 2008) being auctioned off on eBay. He rightfully let listeners know that this letter didn't add any "value" to the said product, just that he'd include it for what sounded like bemusement purposes.

5) Maybruck's calling down of Bob Dylan lyrics to express what he felt was the comic dealers' lot--that they (essentially) are liars and thieves, quoting Dylan's 1966 composition, "Absolutely Sweet Marie"--"to live outside of the law you must be honest"...and later quoting Dylan's 2006 composition "Thunder on the Mountain" via the lyric "I've already confessed, no need to confess again"--to articulate his view on what should happen after this rather extraordinary mea culpa (his sins in the comic book industry).

6) Learn about Metropolis founder Stephen Fishler, who Maybruck has a high opinion of--Maybruck knew Fishler since he was a 15-16 year old kid.

7) Hear one of the segments (:think: I think Part II) where Maybruck takes phone calls from Mark Zaid (esquirecomics), Michael Carbonaro (neatstuffcollectibles), and John Chruscinski (Tropic Comics). Zaid is pretty serious and asks a number of ashcan-related questions; Carbonaro is so ecstatic and his laughter so embedded in my psyche that I'm still recovering, and Chruscinski simply says he has fond memories of Maybruck and they're all good.

8) Conclude that the interviewer--and co-partner in the Metroplis biz--Vinny Zurzolo--has a hankering for Led Zeppelin as seemingly every commercial break meant that the listener would have to endure an excerpt from their rather mediocre song of "Dancing Days".

These 4 interviews, though, comprising approximately 5 hours, are epic and absolute requisite listening for any collector, dealer, and/or historian of the funny book landscape. Thank you, Vincent. :headbang:

Yep, I'm always serious! :grin:

It's ironic that you pulled this up. I was describing Carbonaro's call to someone just the other day during SDCC. He was laughing so hard and happy to be on the air that I don't think he ever asked a question!!! lol

These interviews on Comic Zone Radio (via the Metropolis website) are absolutely astounding. Done just over 2 years ago, they are required listening. :sumo:

It took me repeated visits to the Metropolis website (metropoliscomics.com) to listen to all 4 of 'em (search engine blues--and I don't think it's my incompetence :pullhair:)...but it was well worth it...

Why?

1) Morality tale to the nth degree!

2) Vincent Zurzolo lets his guard down and we, the listeners, eventually realize that Brad Savage ain't gonna make Vincent's best friend category. :whistle:

3) Jay Maybruck, former dealer extraordinaire, is pretty contrite (and odd and intelligent and humorous)...but occasionally articulates his disdain toward a character or two in his narrative...Todd McFarlane and Ernie Gerber, take a bow. :lol:

4) Maybruck's comment on his reprimand letter as a junior high teacher, re: asking the gals in the classroom who gets "horny" was so wild that his explanation/defense of the context, i.e, the womens' lib movement just didn't cut it. This reprimand letter was a part of the Sparkle City Comics portfolio (a limitied version) that was then (in 2008) being auctioned off on eBay. He rightfully let listeners know that this letter didn't add any "value" to the said product, just that he'd include it for what sounded like bemusement purposes.

5) Maybruck's calling down of Bob Dylan lyrics to express what he felt was the comic dealers' lot--that they (essentially) are liars and thieves, quoting Dylan's 1966 composition, "Absolutely Sweet Marie"--"to live outside of the law you must be honest"...and later quoting Dylan's 2006 composition "Thunder on the Mountain" via the lyric "I've already confessed, no need to confess again"--to articulate his view on what should happen after this rather extraordinary mea culpa (his sins in the comic book industry).

6) Learn about Metropolis founder Stephen Fishler, who Maybruck has a high opinion of--Maybruck knew Fishler since he was a 15-16 year old kid.

7) Hear one of the segments (:think: I think Part II) where Maybruck takes phone calls from Mark Zaid (esquirecomics), Michael Carbonaro (neatstuffcollectibles), and John Chruscinski (Tropic Comics). Zaid is pretty serious and asks a number of ashcan-related questions; Carbonaro is so ecstatic and his laughter so embedded in my psyche that I'm still recovering, and Chruscinski simply says he has fond memories of Maybruck and they're all good.

8) Conclude that the interviewer--and co-partner in the Metroplis biz--Vinny Zurzolo--has a hankering for Led Zeppelin as seemingly every commercial break meant that the listener would have to endure an excerpt from their rather mediocre song of "Dancing Days".

These 4 interviews, though, comprising approximately 5 hours, are epic and absolute requisite listening for any collector, dealer, and/or historian of the funny book landscape. Thank you, Vincent. :headbang:

Yep, I'm always serious! :grin:

It's ironic that you pulled this up. I was describing Carbonaro's call to someone just the other day during SDCC. He was laughing so hard and happy to be on the air that I don't think he ever asked a question!!! lol

Getting nostalgic today.

I just may have to listen to this interview again.

I guess these Jay Maybruck Comic Zone interviews were never found/recovered, after Vincent Z. mentioned a problem losing the original interviews a few years back.

Too bad. Those were some of the best amongst the best interviews done on Comic Zone!

http://www.comiczoneradio.com/all-interviews.html

Edited by DanCooper

On 8/9/2023 at 6:08 AM, DanCooper said:

I guess these Jay Maybruck Comic Zone interviews were never found/recovered, after Vincent Z. mentioned a problem losing the original interviews a few years back.

Too bad. Those were some of the best amongst the best interviews done on Comic Zone!

http://www.comiczoneradio.com/all-interviews.html

I tried the wayback machine to find any evidence of them with no luck.  It's a shame.  I'm glad I got to hear them once.  

On 8/10/2023 at 2:18 PM, buttock said:

I tried the wayback machine to find any evidence of them with no luck.  It's a shame.  I'm glad I got to hear them once.  

That whole ComicZone archive is award worthy ... Vince made a fan out of me, and I still have a couple dozen left to go. The Maybruck one was one of the best, and I like the "dealer" ones the most of all ... but I'd say that too many names were associated with him who may not have wanted gossipers squawking out wrong interpretations. Some things are best left in the past. Jay was certainly a trailblazer, creating the templet for the successful road gypsey. Last time I checked, he's still around. We all make mistakes. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12